An awful lot of chickpeas!

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:47 am
I got carried away soaking & cooking chickpeas & over-did it. Now I'm trying to think of something a bit different (& not too involved, preparation-wise) to do with them ....

Any ideas?

Perhaps with mushrooms or greens?

In a salad? (it's summer here! Very Happy )

Spicy or herby is fine!

Something tasty!

I await your suggestions. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,983 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:50 am
Hoummous. I have no idea how to spell it, but it tastes delicious.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:53 am
Ah, yes, a batch of humourous, Ellpus! Razz I can make a little of that! (I always make too much.)

Thanks.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:54 am
HUMMUS! Trust me to make it more complicated.....

Recipe....

http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe1253.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:57 am
Yum! Very Happy Will do, Ellpus.

But I'd also like to try something completely new, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:59 am
Maybe something a bit stewy, or curry-ish, perhaps? Something that can be eaten on rice?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:00 am
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/chickpeas.html

Beware of strong winds in the Melbourne area, everyone.

Or this? .....Italiano and all that....wot wot?....

http://italianfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa021100.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:08 am
Hey, this one looks spicy & tangy, Ellpus! And easy to prepare. Thanks! :

Spicy Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) and Spinach

This is a very slight adaptation of a recipe from Kumud Shah's Quick After-Work Indian Vegetarian Cookbook - I've reduced the amount of oil, among other things. Also, I don't like asafoetida, so I've left it as optional. It's nice without. Measure out all the spices before you begin.

Serves 4

1/2 medium onion
2 large fresh tomatoes, or 3 tbsp tinned tomatoes
1 x 400g (14oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tsp sunflower oil, or other flavourless vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp asafoetida (optional)
6 tbsp (100g, 4oz) frozen spinach, defrosted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tbsp dhana jheera
1 tsp amchoor (dried, powdered mango) - optional
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp tamarind sauce or lime juice
175ml (6fl oz) water
1. Peel and chop the onion. Peel the tomatoes if you wish, then chop them finely (I don't think it's worth peeling them - the pieces of skin should be very tiny in the finished dish). Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well.

2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin and asafoetida (if using). Stir, then add the onion. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned - if it begins to stick, add a small amount of water and unstick it.

3. Add the spinach and tomato, and stir for 3 minutes.

4. Add the salt, chilli powder, dhana jheera, amchoor (if using), sugar and tamarind sauce or lime juice. Stir in the chickpeas and water, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes more.

5. When water is gone, and the thick green sauce sticks to the chickpeas, the dish is ready.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:11 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Beware of strong winds in the Melbourne area, everyone.

Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:11 am
Nurries, mate!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:12 am
Nurries?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:17 am
You know, I was 100% vego for about 15 years, then I lapsed .... now a decidely more vego diet looking appealing again. I'm trying to remember what I did with chickpeas? ... dips, dry curries, soups, burgers ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:38 am
From your Italian link, Ellpus. A good, hearty one for winter. I guess the beet greens could be replace with spinach, or silverbeet (Swiss chard), or a mixture of different greens?

Chick Peas Pisan Style -- Ceci alla Pisana

Here's a recipe for ceci alla pisana, chick peas Pisan style, which may seem somewhat unusual, but actually resembles a number of other Tuscan legume dishes in which one cooks the legumes and serves them and their broth over toasted bread. It will be nice in the cooler months, and will serve 6:

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/3 pounds (600 g) chick peas, soaked overnight
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
An onion, minced
A clove of garlic, minced
4 salted anchovies (the kind you buy whole from a tin in a deli, or 8 filets) rinsed, boned and mashed
2/3 pound (300 g) beet greens, tough ribs removed, blanched
A ladle of tomato sauce
Toasted Tuscan-style bread
Salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION:

Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes, then stir in the anchovy filets. Drain the chick peas and add them to the pot, together with the blanched beet greens, check seasoning, stir in the tomato sauce, cover, and simmer it over a very low flame for a couple of hours or more, checking every now and then; add a little water if it appears in danger of drying out.

Toast the bread, set it in soup bowls, and ladle the chick peas and their broth over it
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:06 am
This burger recipe I just found look interesting & I like the choice of either sauteeing or baking:

Smoky Chickpea Burgers
Adapted from The Bean Harvest Cookbook, by Ashley Miller (Taunton Press, 1998).

The arrival of Autumn always brings back childhood memories of bonfires and burning leaves, and the lovely smokiness in the air from the first fire in the fireplace. There's a hint of that smoky autumn excitement in this recipe: smoked cheddar and the nuttiness of pecans give these burgers a lively flavor that needs no enhancement. They can be baked for a low-fat finish or sautéed in a little oil for a tasty toasted brown crust.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 eggs
3/4 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated carrots
Pinch of ground red pepper
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2-3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander

1. In a food processor, combine chickpeas and eggs and process until pureed. Turn out the puree into a bowl and add the cheddar, pecans, breadcrumbs, carrots, red pepper, salt, black pepper, soy sauce, scallions, and coriander. Chill, covered, 2-3 hours.

2. When you're ready to cook the burgers, form the mixture into 6 patties.

3. If you're baking the burgers, preheat the oven to 350F and lightly oil a baking sheet. Place the patties on the sheet and bake 20 minutes.

4. If you're sautéing the burgers, heat a little oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, place the patties in the frying pan and sauté 3-4 minutes on each side, or until a browned crust has formed.

Makes six 3 1/2-inch burgers.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:06 am
msolga wrote:
Nurries?

It's what my Australian nieces always say in their emails......a contraction of no worries, I suppose.

It must be a teenage thing! OOH! I'm so groovy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
OOH! I'm so groovy.

You are! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:15 am
Just say I create a batch of that burger mixture ...
I'm wondering about freezing some for later. A friend told me tonight that chickpeas aren't too wonderful once they've been frozen. Is that right?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:53 am
falafel, msolga!

I made homemade once (and didn't make it again not because it was hard, it just involved a lot of ingredients) and it was terrific. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:57 am
jespah wrote:
falafel, msolga!

I made homemade once (and didn't make it again not because it was hard, it just involved a lot of ingredients) and it was terrific. Smile

I love falafel, jespah, but always got the impression that it was quite time-consuming to make.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:59 am
It wasn't too bad, less than an hour, if I recall correctly. Hmmm, recipe recipe recipe ....
0 Replies