Frozen Downspout

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 06:40 pm
jpin wrote:
Translation: I went 3 feet up with the rubber ice and water shield.

I was so pissed from previous mystery water problems that I took the underlay clear past the dormers.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:37 pm
his lordship may have a hard time understanding that it gets mighty cold in the former colonies . our low this morning was minus 20 C ; i imagine milwaukee wasn't much warmer .
a hairdryer ? i guess you'd have to spend the rest of the winter outside the house holding the hairdryer (makes me smile ).
heating cable should do the trick . i know some houses around here , where heating cables are installed permamently to prevent ice-buildup.
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:43 pm
freeze up
have a look at this website...HEATING CABLE... there are plenty of others listed under google : "roof heating cable"
hope you'll find what you need . hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:59 pm
No suggestions, but if the hair dryer is slow, a heat gun made for peeling paint gets much hotter. Be careful not to overheat anything that is sensitive to heat. These babies cook!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:31 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I was so pissed from previous mystery water problems that I took the underlay clear past the dormers.

I went all the way up with the felt paper but only 3 feet with the ice and water shield.

The first night I spent in the house I looked over to see water streaming down the bedroom wall. The previous owners had covered up the leaky roof just long enough to sell the place. I had to tear off five layers of roofing material (in order: rolled asphalt shingles, cedar shakes, shingles, shingles, and one more layer of shingles). It was a freaking mess... thinking of that an extra few feet of the ice shield wouldn't have been a bad idea.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
Re: freeze up
hamburger wrote:
have a look at this website...HEATING CABLE... there are plenty of others listed under google : "roof heating cable"
hope you'll find what you need . hbg

Thanks, hamburger. I think I'll give that a whirl. I gave it a closer inspection this morning and found it isn't as full as I first thought which is good news so I think I could snake that down a little bit and melt that stuff out of there.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:34 am
roger wrote:
No suggestions, but if the hair dryer is slow, a heat gun made for peeling paint gets much hotter. Be careful not to overheat anything that is sensitive to heat. These babies cook!

The house has the old steel gutters. Heat gun just might do the trick with those.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:45 am
If the ice is only in the lower half of the pipe, you could always ask Shewolf, Bella and Chai to pop round and lean on it. The heat from THOSE three would sort it out in no time.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
his lordship is giving valuable advice !

advice from contractor/friend who used to live in quebec (even colder than eastern ontario !) : if you can't get a heating cable installed now , throw a few shovels of "rocksalt" or "icemelter" on the roof where the eaves connect with the downspout . the combination of a bit of heat from sun and the salt should start a melting process . he said that every fall he throws some rocksalt into the eaves and it keeps his downspouts from freezing up . should be simple and cheap enough to do .
let us know if it works .
greetings from eastern ontario - 30-40 cm (2-3 feet) of snow expected during next 24 hours .
hbg
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:35 am
Wow. You have it worse then us, hambuger.
We are only expecting 4-6 inches.

Rock salt is something I have plenty of. I'll give that a try as well. Thanks for all the ideas.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:40 am
I was going to suggest the heat gun -- even better if it won't peel paint

Don't get yourself shocked!

Salt up top makes sense too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
Gosh, the things I don't miss about UP North...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:45 am
You're not bored with the constant tropical conditions?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
panzade wrote:
Gosh, the things I don't miss about UP North...

Panz... I'll take frozen gutters over a hurricane anyday.

ps. Good to see you. I haven't seen you around for awhile.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
" I'll take frozen gutters over a hurricane anyday"

(i want a happy medium : daytime high 20-25 C , nighttime low 10-15 C , rain overnight, sunshine during the day , 5 cm of snow between christmas and new year . any suggestions ? hbg)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 01:15 pm
That sounds good to me, hbg.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:44 pm
jp : perhaps a little blast of hot air from the south might come in handy right now ?
(since canada is gearing up for a federal election on january 23 , there is plenty of "hot air" being produced by our politicians . i'll suggest they'll send some your way). hbg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:32 pm
jpin wrote:
I had to tear off five layers of roofing material (in order: rolled asphalt shingles, cedar shakes, shingles, shingles, and one more layer of shingles). It was a freaking mess... thinking of that an extra few feet of the ice shield wouldn't have been a bad idea.

How is that possible, jpin? Under normal guidelines it should have been impossible for those people to sell the house until the roof was brought up to code. The limit is two layers. After that, you tear off and start over.

Or is Wisconsin that backward of a state that they would allow multiple layering?

Well...... they do have the Packers.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

How is that possible, jpin? Under normal guidelines it should have been impossible for those people to sell the house until the roof was brought up to code. The limit is two layers. After that, you tear off and start over.

Or is Wisconsin that backward of a state that they would allow multiple layering?

Well...... they do have the Packers.

The sellers were crooked F***eers. They covered up a lot of things. We went after them but they filed bankruptcy. Even if we won we probably wouldn't see any money but would still have to pay the lawyers. We just bit the bullet and fixed it ourselves.
0 Replies