what is some the gifts of the holy spirit

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:00 am
I have to agree with that one Wanda. But, you have to remember, some don't think we are smart to believe in God. It's a two way street.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:04 am
Quote:
How the hell are we supposed to evolve ideas if people purposefully do damage to their own ability to think in a lucid and sensible manner?

Exactly, how are we suppose to spiritualy mature if people purposely do damage to their own soul and stay stuck in the worldly things?

huh?

I'm curious, don't go to bed yet, answer us.

j/k
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:08 am
kickycan wrote:
You're always saying that. Why do you think god was such a jerk back then? And what made him so different in your mind? It's like if your husband beat you for twenty years, then one day, after killing his own son, he decided to be nice, and you're like, Oh god is good...

I don't get it.

I think the whole sacrifice thing was supposed to end with Abraham. According to the story (whether history or myth), when Abram found the true God, he was so grateful that he felt obliged to make what he felt was the ultimate sacrifice, as it was tradition to make sacrifices to appease God. But right as he was about to kill his son, right at the ritual's peak, he realized the mistake he was making and stopped. He realized that this was not the way to praise this "new" God. The old, blood-sacrifice tradition was no longer relevant.
The idea that God sacrificed his only son is, I think, misunderstood by a lot of people. I think Jesus' crucifixion is seen as a sort of "blood sacrifice", similar to the old tradition of Abram.
As I (and many others) understand it, Jesus was the son of God, but not the only son of God (at least not as it's usually meant). He was not physiologically special or abnormal. He was not sent here to die, but to live.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:09 am
That's just it, Wanda. Some believe only the worldy things are what matters. They require proof.

I think it is just as hard for them to understand our faith as it is for us to understand their lack of it.

And to be quite honest, I can understand some of their questions about what should they believe when even Christians can't even agree on things.

The thing is, I don't think every Christian has to believe every single thing the same as another, do you? I think what is important is the basic message of Christ is what is common with us.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:14 am
echi,

Genesis 22:12 says:

"Do ot lay a hand on the boy,' he (an angel of the Lord) said. "Do not do anything to him. Now i know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

This was a test of Abraham's loyalty to God. God provided a ram in place of Isaac.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:15 am
I agree. Very Happy

hey, where'd you find that heart icon?

Wanda
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:17 am
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/smilies.htm

Just right click on the smiley picture. Then click on properties. Copy the url.

To put it in your post, click on IMG, paste in the url and click ok!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:18 am
So God wanted him to sacrifice the ram?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:18 am
You tell me? Do you think He really would have had Abraham sacrifice his son?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:20 am
No. I don't think God ever told Abraham to sacrifice anyone... his son or the ram.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:21 am
So, you don't believe what the Bible says about it?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:22 am
I think Abraham was confused up until the last moment, when it became clear to him what he was about to do.
(And the whole ram bit... I just don't buy it. What does God want with a dead ram?)
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:22 am
Also, God knew he wouldn't hurt his son too, didn't he?

That's what's a bit confusing, he knew yet tested him.

And we know God wouldn't let him kill his son.

Wanda

p.s. thanks for the link.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:24 am
I think God knew that Abraham loved Him enough to do whatever God thought was right. But, I think God already knew it, don't you?

So, do you think maybe what God was trying to show Abraham was how much Abraham already loved God? Maybe He was trying to teach Abraham something about himself?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Quote:
And the whole ram bit... I just don't buy it. What does God want with a dead ram?)

LOL

This is what I use to think.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
echi,

It's not the dead ram. It's the symbolism.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:26 am
Quote:
So, do you think maybe what God was trying to show Abraham was how much Abraham already loved God? Maybe He was trying to teach Abraham something about himself?

oh wow, I never thought of that.

Shocked
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:27 am
echi learnin' Very Happy

me too.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:29 am
I think a lot of the lessons in the Bible are not fully understood. I am not saying that is how it was with Abraham. I am just saying I think it's a possibility.

I think the lessons in the Bible are for everyone. I think a lot of the times, there is more than one lesson that can be learned.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:29 am
No. I don't think it went down like that. Abraham was in conflict. He was driven to make this offering, according to the old ways, the old habits, but his new insight from the true God, the Holy Spirit, prevented him from committing the act. It was the act that made him able to focus enough to understand the truth.
0 Replies