Bush accepts responsibility for war "based on faulty intel"

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
mysteryman wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
right. it means they're exactly the same. opportunistic scumbags who care only for broadening their power base and enriching themselves. different flags, same ass holes.

You just described most of the human race.

I think it's probably a good summary of the darker side of the conservative mind.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
mysteryman wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
right. it means they're exactly the same. opportunistic scumbags who care only for broadening their power base and enriching themselves. different flags, same ass holes.

You just described most of the human race.

the fact that you believe that explains a lot.....
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
Well, actually France did try to lift the sanctions.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:41 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
You are wrong when you claim Saddam wasn't a threat.

To whom was Saddam a threat?

To many, including the US.

Duelfer Report.

From the Duelfer Report:
    Saddam never abandoned his intentions to resume a CW effort when sanctions were lifted and conditions were judged favorable

Even if, for argument's sake, we accept that as true, that simply means that Saddam was a threat in the future, and only in the event that sanctions were lifted. Nobody, however, was recommending the lifting of sanctions (not even the French), so if Saddam was any kind of threat in 2003, he was merely a potential threat. Is that the kind of threat that we needed to thwart by means of a preemptive strike?

woiyo wrote:
To the region and the World.

What do you call someone who continually shows no respect for the Terms of Surrender signed by the Iraqi Govt?

I call him a threat.

I call him someone who is in violation of a UN-sponsored treaty and various UN resolutions. But when did the UN give the US responsibility for enforcing UN resolutions?

When the UN begs the US and it's allies to go into Kuwait and remove the invaders, and the US and allies extend themselves to that end, we have an obligation to our allies to make sure the invading Nation live up to it's treaty. Iraq did not live up and the UN sat on their butts for 10 years and did nothing.

When the UN ignored it's obligation for enforcement, the US and our allies took the authority away from the UN and forced compliance.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:42 am
for sale: French Rifle. Never fired. Dropped Once.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
Ticomaya wrote:
We found that out after we invaded.

Hey, you brought up the Duelfer Report, not me. If you're going to use the Duelfer Report to back up your claims, then it's your problem if it doesn't fit your argument.

Ticomaya wrote:
Was he a threat pre invasion? Certainly. We found out he was perhaps less of an imminent threat post invasion.

Not even the Duelfer Report suggests that he was a threat prior to the invasion.

Ticomaya wrote:
And I believe there is still a question lingering about what happened to all of the WMD we knew Saddam had. What became of them?

Maybe the inspectors would have discovered them if they had been given a chance. Certainly they couldn't have done a worse job than our troops have done since the invasion.

Ticomaya wrote:
Is a potential threat one that needs to be thwarted? Hard to say.

No, apparently for you, it's relatively easy to say.

Ticomaya wrote:
We have a lot of potential threats in the world. Because we had intelligence that indicated he was more than just a potential threat, we took action. Now we don't have the potential threat to deal with down the road.

And we wouldn't have had that potential threat if we had maintained a regime of sanctions (that's according to the Duelfer Report too). So again, we have to ask: was the invasion necessary? And if it was necessary to stem a threat, what kind of threat?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:48 pm
Did the invasion not create a vacuum for terrorists rather than the other way around?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
What is amazing about Bush and his lemmings is that despite the reasons given to justify the preemptive attack having proved to be wrong? And what has gone on in Iraq in the aftermath. They still insist the invasion was the right thing to do.
From that I would gather even had he known the truth {which I suspect he did] the invasion would have gone off on schedule.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:11 pm
Quote:
Was he a threat pre invasion? Certainly. We found out he was perhaps less of an imminent threat post invasion.

The information that primarily lead to the invasion of Iraq, from Curveball, came from the INC (Iraqi National Congress) and Chalabi, an organization created by the US as a propaganda front and disseminated to friendly reporters (ie. Judy Miller) in order to drum up support for the war.

The whole thing has been one big lie from the beginning. There never was any reliable evidence that Iraq was a threat.

The whole thing is unravelling fast.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
We found that out after we invaded.

Hey, you brought up the Duelfer Report, not me. If you're going to use the Duelfer Report to back up your claims, then it's your problem if it doesn't fit your argument.

It fits my argument just fine.

If someone is pointing a gun at you and your family, is that person a threat to you? Yes or no? Do you feel threatened?

I'll tell you later whether the gun has any ammunition in it, I want you to answer the question based on the information you know .... Well?

Oh by the way, you also know the person pointing the gun has shot people in the past. .... Have you decided yet? Is he a threat?

He is a threat to you whether you know he has bullets in his weapon, bullets in his pocket, or no bullets on his person. Whether he is an imminent threat, or a possible threat, he is still a threat.

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Not even the Duelfer Report suggests that he was a threat prior to the invasion.

See above.

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
And I believe there is still a question lingering about what happened to all of the WMD we knew Saddam had. What became of them?

Maybe the inspectors would have discovered them if they had been given a chance. Certainly they couldn't have done a worse job than our troops have done since the invasion.

Maybe. How many more years did they need? How many more years of Saddam playing the games he was playing until Saddam was given the message that he needs to comply with the UN mandates?

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Is a potential threat one that needs to be thwarted? Hard to say.

No, apparently for you, it's relatively easy to say.

Hard to say, in a generic sense. Quite easy, in this particular instance.

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
We have a lot of potential threats in the world. Because we had intelligence that indicated he was more than just a potential threat, we took action. Now we don't have the potential threat to deal with down the road.

And we wouldn't have had that potential threat if we had maintained a regime of sanctions (that's according to the Duelfer Report too). So again, we have to ask: was the invasion necessary? And if it was necessary to stem a threat, what kind of threat?

Nah ... you're looking at it with your hindsight goggles, Joe. Unfortunately for Saddam, he decided to not cooperate with the UN Weapons inspectors. I'm sure he was convinced the US would take no action, as I hadn't for so long. I suspect he regrets that decision.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The whole thing is unravelling fast.

Tell that to the 10 million Iraqis that voted yesterday.

"Anybody who doesn't appreciate what America has done and President Bush, let them go to hell"

- Iraqi Citizen, voter Betty Dawisha
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

You got the numbers of the turnout already?
(I've only read about 320,000 Iraqi expatriates who voted abroad.)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051215/NEWS/51215004

"Up to 15 million Iraqis were to choose..."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:35 pm
Betty Dawisha is a Bush hack who hasn't lived in Iraq for years. You can keep your fake optimism, thanks.

I wasn't referring to the war, however, but the idea that some intel lead us to believe that there was a threat from Iraq. There was no reliable intel that showed that; our main piece of intel was completely faked.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
mysteryman wrote:

"Up to 15 million Iraqis were to choose..."

That's a new number. Thanks.

Quote:
Friday 16 December 2005, 21:59 Makka Time, 18:59 GMT :
One day after the election, with Iraq still subjected to tough security measures, millions of ballot papers were being counted in the vote for the first full-term government since Saddam Hussein fell from power in 2003.

"The number of whose who took part in the ballot should be between 10 and 11 million voters, according to our first estimates," said electoral official Farid Ayar.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:41 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
omitting that he and top aides had ignored warnings from midlevel intelligence agents that some of the evidence was suspect

So, he's really admitted nothing significant and still denies lying. There's no progress here!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

You're overplaying that significantly. The person that's going to win is the person with the most protection from the US. All other candidates will end up dead if they win. These people voted when Saddam was president too, the only difference is that when Saddam ran he was the only one allowed on the ballot. In this election there are other names, but the US is going to get who they want. It's all a big show.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:48 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Betty Dawisha is a Bush hack who hasn't lived in Iraq for years. You can keep your fake optimism, thanks.

I wasn't referring to the war, however, but the idea that some intel lead us to believe that there was a threat from Iraq. There was no reliable intel that showed that; our main piece of intel was completely faked.

Cycloptichorn

We KNOW that Iraq had used WMD in the past.
We KNOW that they had WMD stockpiled berore Desert Storm.

Maggie Thatcher had actually warned Iraq that if they used CW,that she would respond with tactical (battlefield) nukes.

Part of the cease fire after Desert Storm was that they account for 100% of their WMD.
They never complied with that requirement.

Now,since they refused to comply,they effectively voided the terms of the cease fire.

So,what we did was continue the war to its conclusion.
Even the inspectors caid they could not account for all 100% of Iraq's WMD.

And,since he had used them before,what reason was there to believe that he wouldnt use them again?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

(I've only read about 320,000 Iraqi expatriates who voted abroad.)

Turnout is expected to be around 11 million. Source = ABC. More than 70%.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Was that faked intel shown to the US Congress?
0 Replies