• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,356 • Replies: 24
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:50 pm
Nope.

Semi refers to the trailer. If it has one or more axles at the rear, and one or more at the front, it's a trailer (full), not a semi (trailer). Semis are supported at the front by the 5th wheel of the tractor. Full trailers are rare, but most double bottoms (two trailers in tandem) appear to have a full trailer at the rear. Usually, it's just a regular semi, equipped with a convertor dolly.

Eighteen wheeler is just that; a combination of tractor and trailer(s) with a total wheel count of 18. That's two wheels on the front, with all succeding axles having four wheels per axle (usually).

Hey, what else you wanna know?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:53 pm
I should add that the 5th wheel isn't a wheel. That would have made them into decidedly awkward 19 wheelers.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:54 pm
Roger sounds like a retired trucker
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
refers are for hauling pot?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:00 pm
Oh, roger.

I have a moving company that tells me make sure the storage lot can take an eighteen wheeler.
I have storage companies saying a semi came in here just the other day....
I've got quick decisions to make and don't need some tired guy in a giant truck refusing to go in the place for some reason and charging me another million.

So, I still don't get it, re which is bigger... that mattering for backing up, etc. I will reread what you said again.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:03 pm
is it a 46 or 55 foot trailer
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:05 pm
are you getting the whole trailer or a partial trailer for your things?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:10 pm
A tractor trailer will fit into a tighter spot than a truck (without a trailer) of the same length. It's safe to assume than an 18 wheeler is also a semi, which has a maximum length on most highways of 65' for less. They do tend to run close to that maximum, though. What a semi will back into depends mostly on the driver. Some will leave you amazed; some just flabbergasted. You might want to pm to MysteryMan, if you have dimensions, but keep in mind that he will be answering as a trucker. Movers are a different, and often less talented sub-species.

Reefer means refrigerated. Double bottoms don't back up worth a darn - notice how they park at truck stops. I've seen tripples on I-70. They probable couldn't back up 40' without tying themselves in knots. Roger, of course, is a bookkeeper.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:12 pm
Roger sorry for the bad refer joke - I could not contain myself
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:15 pm
It's a natural, husker. Here, everyone wants to work on the oil rigs. The dope comes in 5 gallon buckets, the joints are 33 feet long, and there's a pusher on every rig.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:17 pm
I wonder what the deal is with unloading her trailer?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:27 pm
I get part of a (truck). Which part yet to be nailed down as I am packing my books to mail instead (1/2 as much $$) as we speak, while at the same time hurling half of them (yet again). New estimate on cubic footage and weight soon. Shut up and pack. I am. Shall I take the corgi ridden couch with good lines that I paid $175. for? We'll see. I gather that would be about $100.

Of course I will have to mail my many heavy boxes of books this week before xmas.... after I wrap the boxes because the boxes have imagery on them.

I can see I'm tangenting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:29 pm
No kidding? It's cheaper to mail stuff like that that to truck it? That's weird.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:32 pm
I agree Roger
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:02 pm
Half, by USPS book rate. I found out rather late in the game and am entirely repacking. Mumble.

I bet I am unusual in such a big percentage of the weight being books..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:30 pm
I am going to start a thread entitled, "Roger -- Bookkeeper, Trucker, Man of Danger"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:38 pm
Thanks, by the way...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
Gus, hat's why we love him so. A man of many talents and loads of charm.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:40 pm
truckloads and trailers of charm
0 Replies