Operation Wrath of God

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
This month Speilberg releases his new offering 'Munich'. The movie is based on the aftermath of the 1972 Olympic slaughter of Isreali athletes by Muslim terrorists. The then-Premier of Isreal, Golda Meir, ordered the hunting, and bringing of ultimate justice, to the perpetrators, planners, and commanders of the atrocity. The operation that followed, reportedly named "Wrath of God", was one of the most successful and relentless manhunts (literally) in modern history.

While I haven't seen the film, Spielberg calls it a "prayer for peace". This emphasized description along with indications from the trailer lead me to believe that this may be a movie where the director attempts to condemn both sides of the conflict by offering terrorists on one hand and showcasing the "moral conflict" of the Isreali agents on the other.

Personally I doubt that "moral dilemmas" would play such a prominent role in the psyches of operatives tasked with such a mission. I compare it to the first days after 9/11, where if CIA operatives were given a detailed list of targets in Al-Qaeda to assassinate, I for one would seriously doubt "I may lose my soul" thoughts featuring in the forefront of their minds. (At least, thankfully, none that I have known.)

I look forward to watching the film, but the subject matter did bring up a question in my mind. How come the PLO terrorists were targeted so easily despite them being spread across the globe, and killed so successfully. The United States has had remarkable success in taking out many rank-and-file Al-Qaeda terrorists, and many of the higher echelons as well, but perhaps a lesson or two could be learned from the Mossad in this important quest to supress these rabid religious jihadis.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,102 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:40 pm
The reason that the Isreali's were so succesful is thay donot have to put up with and deal with the world opinion. The US could have very easily done the same thing. But we were to busy getting national and international support.
Keeping in mind, the Iseali's still suffered further terrorist attacks. But, people know and knew that there would be retaliation from them. Every terrorist knows and knew that an attack against American property or American citizens would result it a slap on the wrist. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I'm surprised we have not been attacked more and harder by terrorists. The US and othe countries should have followed Isreals lead. I think that would have diminished the terrorist threat so much sooner.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:57 pm
I tend to agree with all of your points. As a national entity, our intelligence collection and subsequent operational execution will suffer failures and deceptions, and we will remain impotent until the people of the United States discontinue the ultra-sensitivity to world opinion, personal opinions (especially Hollywood types), and wavering vacillation that plagues large swaths of the nation.

My respect for the Isrealis increases every time they suffer the incessant homicide bombings perpetrated by Palestinians, and yet maintain a way of life, a national identity, and especially decisive counter measures. Perhaps if our people had a tenth of the spine it takes to endorse such a "Golda Meir directive" we might have more success in dealing with our rabid enemies and their fanatical and sometimes medieval attacks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:58 pm
What makes you say the Israeli's were "so successful"?

Their economy is shot, they have a fractured society, they don't have peace, and Israeli's have to deal with the guilt of acts caused by occupation.

Peace, security, prosperity and a national conscience would be my definition of success.

Israel has not been anything close to "successful".
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:06 pm
First, Parker welcome. I hope you enjoy debate. Sometimes its good, sometimes it's not. But it is always debate.

Ebrown, you bring up a good point about peace, security, prospereity and national conscience. The problem Isrel has with those is the fact that they were thrown into the middle east, completely surrounded by people who hate them on a land that was taken from somebody else. The great treaty of post WWII. Everybody on the allied side felt sorry for them but nobody wanted to give up land for them. As the saying goes "NIMBY."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
Quote:

The reason that the Isreali's were so succesful is thay donot have to put up with and deal with the world opinion. The US could have very easily done the same thing. But we were to busy getting national and international support.

Ralph, my point is that this statement is ridiculous on two fronts. First of all Israel isn't successful. You compare Israel with the US which, because it until lately has worked with world opinion, is successful. I would much rather live in the US than is Israel.

You go further than that and equates Israels "success" with its willingness to defy international opinion.

Let's test this by looking to see if nations that defy international opinion are in general "successful".

My list of these nations includes:
- Israel
- North Korea
- Syria
- South Africa in the 80's
(did I miss any? feel free to add to this list).

It doesn't seem to me that any of these countries are places I would like to live right now.

I believe that if Israel had had a more reasonable policy in working with the international community toward a fair settlement, they would be a lot more successful.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:44 pm
France has apparently asked Israel for some help, so I guess they consider them pretty "reasonable" to work with.

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=796380

Looks like the Aussies might be next in line. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
I believe he meant they were successful in hunting down the terrorists involved.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:00 am
I wonder ebrown_p, why is it that you wouldn't want to live in Israel?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:44 am
And yes McG, That is exactly whatt I was refering to.
As far as overall success, I think Isreal has done relitively well considering where they are.
I very rarely compare any modern country with the US.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
ralpheb wrote:
First, Parker welcome. I hope you enjoy debate. Sometimes its good, sometimes it's not. But it is always debate.

Ebrown, you bring up a good point about peace, security, prospereity and national conscience. The problem Isrel has with those is the fact that they were thrown into the middle east, completely surrounded by people who hate them on a land that was taken from somebody else. The great treaty of post WWII. Everybody on the allied side felt sorry for them but nobody wanted to give up land for them. As the saying goes "NIMBY."

I support Israels ight to exist as a country and their right to defend themselves but don't you think it's a stretch to say they were "thrown into the middle east"? That's where Isarel is and they chose to be there.
Not trying to pick a fight here.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
I think that Israel, if it is so successful, should stop recieving massive amounts of foriegn aid from us, don't you?

Perhaps that has a little bit to do with their success; the huge influx of money and war material...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:14 am
Not unless the Palestinian terrorists also stop receiving massive amounts of foriegn aid from various countries supporting the extinction of Israel.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:35 am
Blue, Isreal, as a country, did not exist until after WWII. That was part of the compromise by the allies for their not helping the Jews during pre WWII and during WWII.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 07:39 am
ebrown_p wrote:
What makes you say the Israeli's were "so successful"?

Their economy is shot, they have a fractured society, they don't have peace, and Israeli's have to deal with the guilt of acts caused by occupation.

Peace, security, prosperity and a national conscience would be my definition of success.

Israel has not been anything close to "successful".

Muslim fanatics are blowing themselves up targeting the greatest number of innocent civilians possible but you justify this because of "acts caused by occupation"? Is that right? Peace is never a requisite for success. The city-state of Rome is one of the only everlasting civilizations and it was at marginal "peace" for very few of its hundreds of years of existance. Was it then not successful?

Isreal does indeed possess prosperity and national conscience, how else would they weather the onslaught of decades of drooling fanaticism by Islam, and a host of liberal sympathizers in Europe and the US.
s-cohen

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:12 pm
@Parker Cross,
It’s a laugh to talk about Israel and its successes ..
Just try somthing, go to israel at night and fire some small fireworks and see how successful is Israel ..
Half of the population will be in shutters, and the other half on plains back to where they came from .. waw what a success..!!
Israelis should read history and they should know that power shifts between nations and countries. one day they will be at the other side of the power equation, then will be the payback time. Its known that the west does not like Israelis they just fear the anti-Semite stamp, and its known that Jews always ran to hide and live with Arabs when they have problems in the west, but after what they are doing now, there will be nowhere to hide..
0 Replies