Street parking...am I going to end up slapping someone?

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:35 pm
This is the first time in my life I've lived somewhere with street parking only. Noticed how people here will shovel their car out, and when leaving, will place a trash can, chairs or anything else in the spot on the public road.

I have a feeling I will end up taking said trash can, chair, or such object and throwing it off their front door, before parking in the public spot.

Of course I'm sure my car would then be vandalised...which would mean I would have to make someone swallow their teeth.

But seriously, I don't think it's right. You shouldn't be able to claim a public parking spot.

Anyone have experience with this? Any good stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,570 • Replies: 34
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:30 pm
I remember, in my husband's grandmothers apt building, there was this woman who would spill broken glass in a parking spot.... sweep it up, park in it, then dump it again when she left.

strange..

i dont know if there is anything you CAN do.
If the city hasnt ticketed them for littering.. they wont now.
Switch peoples stuff around.
Fill their trash cans with your trash.
Park in "their " spot., and put their trash can across the street....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:37 pm
Are you in Boston or outside the city, Slappy? Last winter Mayor Menino, by executive fiat, outlawed this time-honored Bostonian practice of reserving the spots they'd shoveled out. The police and city sanitation workers were instructed to remove anything left out in the street (i.e. not on the curb) as rubbish. Don't know how well it worked but that's the ordninace now. I assume it's still in effect for this winter.

And, BTW, I totally agree with you about the street being a public parking area. I'm even opposed to these ditzy resident stickers and spaces marked "Resident Permit Parking Only." It gives me a slow burn. I often drive a rented car which, of course, can't have a resident sticker. So, I can't park right in front of my own front door because there's a sign that says "Resident Permit Parking Only." Anybody comes to vivit me has to pay $10/hour and up to park in a parking lot. Ridiculous.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:37 pm
I don't think you can do anything but be the biggest a-hole on the block and f*ck somebody else over. It's set up like this because the city governments are scumbags who don't give a f*ck about the citizens.

The city is like the mob, and parking tickets are the shakedown money they extract from you. I also believe that traffic cops are a lot like cockroaches. I'd love to mace one of those shitters.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
I'm not IN Boston, but outside in Medford. I've seen it on the side streets, not on the main road. I'm on the corner of a main road and a side street, where I usually park.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:13 pm
I'm on your side. Move the trash can. After you've figured out whose car it is and so on..

I remember have a neighbor come to our house not too long after we moved in to a not bad neighborhood on sort of a thoroughfare cutthrough, but, for all that, not a busy parking street.... and complain about a guest of mine parking in front of his house. We were so cowed we moved the car, all the time whining.
Shortly after, I learned our rights.

There is in many neighborhoods a certain courtesy re getting to park a car in front of your own single family house but even that is contested. My bro in law gets red ears about the creep across the street who parks his cars in front of bro in law's, and his own house, before bil gets home. The guy has so many.... (these people all have garages). Me, when I was visiting and rented a whatever, I parked in front of Neighbor's. Hell with him. <whistles>
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:22 pm
assobuco, remember parking in Venice. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:25 pm
Rent 12 cars.
park them in all the spaces for a week.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:38 pm
That would be an expensive joke.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
Assobuco? That's a new one. Usually I am renamed ossobucco...

Anyway, I certainly do remember. Do you remember where Couer d'Alene is? a through street from Lincoln to the now called Abbot Kinney, formerly called West Washington Blvd?
I lived on that street. McDonald's, a church, and two elementary schools across from the residents...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:43 pm
Amigo is dipping into the bottle of spirits deeply tonight me thinks....

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:46 pm
No problem.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
You know your screwed when people think your drunk when your completely sober. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:48 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:33 pm
Slappy, this is infamous behavior here. Last winter mayor menino (I think it was) had to make public statements against the marking of parking spots. I think they allowed marking for 48 hours after a snow storm, but after that the city would come pick up chairs/cans/etc and bring them to the dump. I think it was Boston, anyway, maybe it was meffa or slumerville.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:05 am
People in Chicago do this all the time. Usually it is lawn furniture or a garbage can that holds the spot. I think every year there is a news story of people getting into fights because of it. For the most part, the marked spots are considered hands-off. You are right about the vandalism if you take the spot. People take this crap pretty seriously.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:09 am
Slappy, why don't you just do it back?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
I used to carry a city garbage can in the back of my pickup truck.

This really has nothing to do with this thread.

I'm sorry I even mentioned it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Because I think it's an a$$hole move.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:02 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Because I think it's an a$$hole move.

Sure, but you'll be the a-hole parked down the block because every other a-hole has their space marked.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
0 Replies