Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:52 pm
I bet he doesn't pour his beer straight down the toilet.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Dont feel bad edgar..

it wasnt until about 2 months ago that I learned you are supposed to wash a mushroom before cooking it.

no no no!

Don't wash them. The water they soak up when you wash them takes away much of the flavor. Try it: eat an unwashed mushroom (it wont kill ya) and one you just washed under the running tap. See what I mean?

Thats what a mushroom brush is for. Sheesh.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
Totally agreed, nimh!

(Instead of a mushroom brush you can use a small soft paint-brush, kleenex or just your fingers.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
I used to work in restaurants (yes, I know what your thinking. Scarry isn't it). We us to wash them very quick as not to wash off the flavor. A balance of safety and flavor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:58 pm
Cav and I had a little talk sometime back on the mushroom washing thing. He was for it as I remember.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:03 pm
Well, I want them clean, but I also want them to taste their very best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:09 pm
I was wrong, it was Farmerman who wouldn't just brush them...
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17149
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:16 pm
Okay, I have been dropping them in a bowl of water and swishing them about a bit. I cook them the same day they are bought, nine out of ten times.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
portobello, oyster and plain white mushrooms schmorring in a pan with a lotta sweet onions and a bitta EVOO and a knob of sweet butter

brushed, not washed mushrooms

well, two of the oyster mushrooms were well and quickly rinsed before being torn up and put in the pan

pork chops with mushrooms and onions

paradise
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:31 pm
I want some.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:38 pm
I do owe you, edgarb, since your thread inspired me to go out and buy those glorious mushrooms today.

<and no stems were lost, other than a tiny bit of trimming on the portobellos, the plain whites were set on their heads and either halved or quartered by cutting straight down through the stem, no trimming>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:48 pm
Yum yum.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:54 pm
I was looking for a recipe involving mushrooms and balsamic vinegar <seems like a natural combo to me> and found this.

I'm a-thinkin' it would be nice over the Christmas season

Balsamic Pot Roast with Onions and Mushrooms .... click

Quote:
Mellow balsamic vinegar and rich brown cremini mushrooms transport this dish from the 1950s to the 21st century.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:01 pm
Thanks. I book marked it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm
Give me mushrooms in any way, shape, or form. My favorites are portabello and shiitake. But i'm not fussy.

Sometimes I get an assortment and saute them, ljust a little, for lunch. And it's amazing how much they shrink - the proportion of liquid in a mushroom must be almost as high as in a tomato.
0 Replies