SNOW.... WHEN WILL IT STOP.. any driving tips?

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:42 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Sunfires are fine in the snow...FWD and a small car. What the hell are you people talking about? Yes, FWD "pulls" you, but they have better traction from a stop at least, and don't oversteer like RWD, which can get hairy if you don't know how to handle it. My car on the other hand....

FWD is better than RW. Being pulled is better than being pushed.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:
Ok I will invest in kitty litter and I am just hoping we can leave work early, it is getting pretty bad where I am

Where are you? It's clear as a bell here.

Brockton... the snow is just starting to fade now
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
clear as a bell? never heard that before. what kind of a bell? clear as a... why bell? now i'll have to keep thinking about it...

"Clear as a bell" refers to the pure single sound a bell makes. The idiom is used to indicate their is no clutter visually or sound wise.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:21 pm
Quote:
clear as a bell? never heard that before. what kind of a bell? clear as a... why bell? now i'll have to keep thinking about it...

One of the charms of the bells in a medieval town was that the sound would carry across the medieval fields and into the medieval woods, providing a directional signal for medieval travellers.

I won't go into the theological implications of the clarity of bell tones.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
Wow...you guys know a lot about bells.

Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:37 pm
It's snowing?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:56 pm
Kicky, Boston got hammered today.

I know because I JUST got in from NY. Had a 5pm flight at JFK...cancelled. Took a cab to Laguardia for an 8:30 flight. After landing, the plane had to get towed to the ramp because it was too icy.

I can hear cars spinning their tires up and down the street. This blows.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:57 pm
We had some snow too, actually. Luckily I'm drunk enough right now that I don't give a f*ck. I think I might have to go out.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:58 pm
I'm actually too hungover to drink. I got smashed last night at my company xmas party.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:05 pm
Oh come on, you bitch! Oh, I'm sorry, was that bad etiquette on my part? Come on, you f*cking ass-muncher!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:11 pm
CL -- Slappy gave you some escellent advice. I would add only this, re: braking. It's not just when you take corners. Avoid the need to use your brake as much as possible. Most inexperienced drivers (and some with experience) have the unfortunate tendency to go from gas to brake, brake to gas as a normal driving maneuver. If you're maintaining the proper speed for the conditions, you should be allowing inertia and the engine to be slowing you down more than the brake. That's where you go into uncontrollable skids -- when you hit the brake hard. Steer out of a skid, don't try to stop the car from moving. This is why standard shift vehicles have a remendous advantage over automatic shifts. With a stick shift, you can easily conrol the speed of the car w/o jamming on the brake. As I assume your little set of wheels is not equipped with stick-shift, I'd still advise you to shift down to "low" when approaching a set of traffic lights or a slower car ahead or if you feel starting to slide. Less brake, more concentration on what's ahead is the ticket.

(I realize that none of this can possibly help you now, since it's past 11 p.m., you're probably home from work safe and sound, and it stopped snowing hours ago. Just hadda get my 2 cents in.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:25 am
A, important note on kitty liter, if it hasn't been stated before. Do not buy the type of litter that clumps. It's made of clay and will make a slick and persistent mess. Buy cheap gritty liter.
0 Replies