TV ads that are really annoying

lezzles

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:00 pm
There are two ads on tv in Oz that really make me mad!
1. The mother of a new-born babe answers her door-bell. She looks (as new mums often do) tired, hassled and somewhat out of it. She opens the door to a bunch of her female friends, all ooh-ing and ah-ing over the baby - except one who asks if she might use the bathroom. The new mother looks worried for a moment and then smiles and says "yes". Friend walks into the bathroom and sniffs in all directions then nods approvingly. (Obviously Mum uses the right brand of toilet cleanser.)

2. A guy has just finished using the toilet. It has obviously been a smelly experience. A woman (wife, girlfriend, perfect stranger?) bangs on the door for him to come out. As he opens the door a little gizmo attached to the door frame obviously releases a deodoriser. She pushes past him - must be bursting to go - but like the other ad, stops to sniff and nod her approval.

No, I'm not hung up about toilets. What annoys me is that it has never occurred to me to go around smelling my friends' toilets. Was my mother remiss in my training? Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,098 • Replies: 29
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:30 pm
Sounds like you gotta get out and live a little - let go and go for the gusto; you don't know what you're missing! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 05:29 am
I hate ads like that.They seem to tap in on our insecurities expecting us to buy their product.

The one that annoys me is Claudia Schiffer advertising some form of rejuvinating face cream.
At the end of it she says 'Let surgery wait'!!!! Like its gona be an everyday procedure for most people in the future!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 05:30 am
Toenail fungus ads. They turn my stomach!

http://www.lamisil.com/index.jsp

On TV, the sweet little creature goes under the poor guy's toenail. Yeeech!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 05:49 am
We have a new ad I think its advertising new digital TV channels but I have to turn away coz its so freaky.
Its a load of severeed heads, floating about making one big head and it floats in mass over the countryside.
I hate it and it was even reported in the paper to have had a couple of hundred complaints.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:31 am
I don't liek the Quiznos baby - I liked their older ones that were hilarious and off beat, like the "What were, raised by wolves?" thing and those creepy hamster looking things.

I LOVE the Dr. Pepper "I would do anything for love" commercial!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
Agreed re the Quizno's ads. Not funny and not cute.

How about the ads at this time of year that suggest you give your loved ones cars for Christmas? Does this really happen? I love how touched the recipient seems to be in the ads. Such a personal gift!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
material girl wrote:
The one that annoys me is Claudia Schiffer advertising some form of rejuvinating face cream.

Yeah, that one gets to me because not so many years ago Schiffer was in all these ads about young looking skin, now she all of what, gasp, 30?.

Gee, I guess everyone ages, huh? What a freaking surprise.

Actually, I seem to remember thinking when that other ad was out something like "Christ, I wonder how she'll take it when she turns around and she's 50 or something."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Toenail fungus ads. They turn my stomach!

http://www.lamisil.com/index.jsp

On TV, the sweet little creature goes under the poor guy's toenail. Yeeech!

I CANNOT watch that commercial. It's just too awful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:33 am
yeah, I actually got nauseous the first time I saw it.

Now I turn away.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 12:07 am
We had an ad a couple of years back - this guy is almost waking up in bed -obviously parched - his tongue slides out of his mouth, off the bed, out on the street etc, etc looking for his (I think) brand of beer. Point is, the tongue sickened just about everyone who saw it. Totally gross!
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:30 am
I'm sick of hearing that duck screeching "AFLAC!" Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:46 am
http://www.unclesammoney.com/images/leskogrant-all.jpg

Anybody NOT reflexively grab for the remote when the "Free Government Money" guy leaps onto the screen?
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
Oh, yeah! I can't stand him either. But mercifully, I haven't seen him on my TV for awhile! Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
timberlandko wrote:
Anybody NOT reflexively grab for the remote when the "Free Government Money" guy leaps onto the screen?

FREE governement money!!??

Gee, how can I get in on that?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
I think the first thing you gotta do is send that guy some money Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:31 am
oh, well then, forget it.

Have you ever watched a commercial, several times even, and you can't even figure out what they're selling?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
Yes, that happened a couple of times when the anti-smoking patches first came out.

For the first few weeks, they had people saying the name of the product, followed by the words, "It's a patch!". The final one also added, "Ask your doctor".

That was it. No mention of smoking at all.

A month or two later, the commercials came out telling you it was an anti-smoking patch. Strange.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:29 pm
I really detest the Coca-Cola ads with the Polar Bears. The new one they are playing right now over and over makes me want to barf.

<penguins are having a party in the Antarctic. Polar bears are watching. Baby baby slides down and all the penguins stop partying. Baby penguin comes out and offers Baby bear a coke. He drinks. Everyone parties together because of coke>

Evil or Very Mad Computer animated bears must die!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:44 pm
"Oil of Olay works on all seven signs of ageing"

What are they then?

Creaking......grumpiness......morning flop instead of glory......

Any others?
0 Replies