The Next US Military Action : Where and how soon?

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:45 pm
Though there is much to do in Afghanistan and Iraq, I am wondering which country is next on the list. Recent growling at Syria and the North Koreans apparent softening tone have switched the choices of several of my handicapper friends. What do you think?

The Next US Military Action : Where and how soon?

Vote for your pick, (some are not actual countries but localites)
then post when first shots/bombs/missiles will be fired/dropped/launched.

Should there be prizes for the closest guess? Question

Joe Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,599 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:25 pm
What is so frightening, is that all of these (except Palestinian territories, IMO) are plausible.

The rhetoric reported leads me to think Syrian border problems may culminate into shooting. Good God, I hope not.

Actually, with the news that Saddam's half brother was caught making his way to Syria, I am more inclined to believe that Syria is hiding many top officials of Saddam's government, and that we may go against them to retrieve these criminals.

My second choice would be the Turkish border.

I am afraid we are going to rock the casbah.

What's going on in the Phillipines? Anybody?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:37 pm
IMO the rhtoric is not going to be acted upon. I doubt Syria will be invaded. But if the WMDs and Iraqi leaders are not found Syria will be the excuse.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:55 pm
I agree with Craven. Politicians can rationalize anything and they know that the majority of the people will not know where the ball is under the shell. However, many of us can come up with a good guess.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:14 am
I think Bush has to have the country at war in order to be reelected, or at least in a state of panic over the possibility of a war or terrorism, and the administration knows it, so trouble on at least one front is inevitable.

Here's the real fear. There's 19 months until Black Tuesday 2004 edition and it seems that all our wars take about 6 weeks these days.

Can we find 14 or so countries to invade over the next 19 months in order for Bush to be reelected and for Cheney to keep receiving his Haliburton dividend checks? Rolling Eyes

PS I think the next war is the one he's been waging since January 20 2001, and it's the war against us.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:21 am
So far our track record is one war a year, starting in early to mid winter, when it's still cool (though if North Korea is the next stop the reverse may be the case). I've also heard that it takes up to a year to re-stock our inventory of cruise missiles and smart munitions, so I suspect we'll have what passes for peace these days for awhile.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:25 am
If we started producing munitions and ammo and bullets and tanks and etc etc etc on three shifts all over the place, we could destroy a country too small to really fight back on a regular basis and knock a big hole in unemployment all at once, although we'd probably sub the work of making bullets and missiles to bomb small countries to some small country where labor is cheaper.

There would be a delicious irony in shooting up N. Korea with munitions sporting a made in China sticker, would there not?
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:29 am
Jim - agreed and thus my vote for the last option on the poll. Thanks Joe for a good topic! "How Dare We Call This a War!" and "Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse?" are two threads I am surprised to see still attracting views and posts. I am sooooo glad that the various political threads are keeping to particular focus areas instead of congealing into mush, and mush mouth or would that be mealy-mouth platitudes. I feel sorry for those on "dial-up" connections for those wishing to follow some long-running threads. However, isn't it interesting that as time goes on, "we" a2kers seem to be coming to such threads with new eyes and giving new life and commenting that leads us to welcome others with "room at our inn"!

Peace, Love and Hugs,
cobalt
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:42 am
I'm on dial up and have no trouble keeping up. Of course, I'm staying with ten responses per page.

On invasions/war, keep in mind that Iraq was in violation of numerous UN resolutions. The same handle is not available in regard to Syria. In any case, any former leaders of Iraq in Syria haven't yet been convicted of war crimes, or have they? In other words, Syria may have a nasty government, and what's new with that.

If I were voting (I am not) I would say N. Korea, if any.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:54 am
I'd assume it could be North Korea but the administration is already making a case against Syria. After all, we're already there and it would be for Bush and his ilk yet another message to North Korea and the rest of the Middle East -- Bush can't really believe he's alliviated the situation in the there and stopped the cancer of facism and religious totalitarianism by knocking out Iraq. There's an administrative nightmare just getting the country back on course and it may not be a course we like or is really all that good for the people. It's likely to be more than one generation before the Iraqi people can even discern between a good leader and a bad one. Wait a minute, are we there yet?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:22 am
The news this morning, I saw a link from Tartarin somewhere, (I'll find it)
saying that Bush had nixed any talk about attacking Syria.

So I guess it's a sure thing now. They are toast.

Joe
0 Replies