Liberal Hypocrisy about Intelligent Design

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:21 am
I really, *really* don't enjoy quoting scripture but I will do so because I think it may help.

Matthew 6:14 -15 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses", NRVS

The notations on 6:14 are as follows, "Trespasses translates a different Greek word than debts (6:12), one that speaks more directly of ethical transgression."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
J_B, MA thinks she's an angel of god, and nothing presented to her that negates her position will be welcomed. She ignores biblical scholars, everything you have posted, and why her homophobic bigotry is wrong. Her broken record is legend; god does not approve of homosexual behavior. If you can penetrate her plastic heart, it'll be a miracle.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:29 am
Cicerone Imposter Wrote:

Quote:
A broken record that has no chance of change.

Your record is broken? Oh no! I have been wondering what to get you for Christmas. If you will tell me which record it is and send me your address I would consider it an honor to replace this record with a new one for you! Laughing

I am so sorry that it broke. I hope your record player did not get damaged also. :wink:

Just let me know and I will be happy to send it off to you today!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
really, *really* don't enjoy quoting scripture but I will do so because I think it may help.

Matthew 6:14 -15 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses", NRVS

The notations on 6:14 are as follows, "Trespasses translates a different Greek word than debts (6:12), one that speaks more directly of ethical transgression."

If you are talking about homosexuality here, J_B, what do I have to forgive? Their sin is not against me. If you consider my sticking to what I believe is right is an ethical transgression, that is certainly your right to feel that way.

Again, it seems you are assigning feelings to me that I don't have. I do not hate anyone J_B, not for who they are or what they do.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
J_B, MA thinks she's an angel of god, and nothing presented to her that negates her position will be welcomed. She ignores biblical scholars, everything you have posted, and why her homophobic bigotry is wrong. Her broken record is legend; god does not approve of homosexual behavior. If you can penetrate her plastic heart, it'll be a miracle.
One cannot be faulted for ignoring biblical 'scholars'; but I will admit my dear friend often takes much on blue sky alone.

BTW, is anyone here hoping to prove that homosexuality is a healthy lifestyle?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:41 am
neo, It's healthy for the two people in love. What more proof do you need?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:41 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I don't understand why it seems no one understands that just because I think something is wrong it means I am hating (whatever you want to call it) the person. That is not the case at all.

Because for at least the 101st time you have been told that restricting the right of homosexuals to civil unions or marriage is an act equivalent of hate. It does NOTHING to restrict or prevent the sin that you conjure up in your mind. It goes directly against the person. It does not affect the promiscuous. It only affects those that wish to secure a loving monogamous relationship.

I do appreciate the continued affirmation of your position. It does help underscore my position of the danger of the fundamental religious crowd to society by their unswerving insistence of forcing their antiquated morality on the rest of us.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
Cicerone Imposter Wrote:

Quote:

No, I don't think I am an angel of God, C.I. I am merely one of His followers that believes in His Word. My faith is 100% so I, of course, will stick to my beliefs 100%.

If someone does present something to me that causes me to feel differently about what I believe, then yes, I will address that. I will adjust to what I feel is the right thing to do. However, in the discussion we have been having about homosexuality, no one has been able to show me anything that changes what I believe.

I also notice Mr. C.I., that you are very steadfast in your beliefs, also. That is a wonderful thing! When someone believes in something it is very important that they fully understand why they believe it and it is the right thing for them. So, I think it is wonderful that you have such conviction of your beliefs! Laughing

I haven't gotten your address yet or what the name of the record is that got broken! It's getting close to that time of the year and I don't want to miss getting your present to you! Very Happy

It's great talking with you. I hope you are having a wonderful day.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
really, *really* don't enjoy quoting scripture but I will do so because I think it may help.

If you are talking about homosexuality here, J_B, what do I have to forgive? Their sin is not against me. If you consider my sticking to what I believe is right is an ethical transgression, that is certainly your right to feel that way.

Again, it seems you are assigning feelings to me that I don't have. I do not hate anyone J_B, not for who they are or what they do.

If you read the quote again, MA, you'll see that the forgiving the trespasses have nothing to do with trespasses against you, it simply says 'forgive others their trespasses'. In other words, don't judge others, forgive them their moral/ethical transgression, let them live their lives as you live yours, and take no action to prevent their decisions. I am not assigning any feelings to you other than the lack of ability to live and let live as I've said many times before. It's not about how you feel. Forgiveness does, in fact, mean condonning that which you think is sin.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:56 am
Mesquite Wrote:

Quote:
Because for at least the 101st time you have been told that restricting the right of homosexuals to civil unions or marriage is an act equivalent of hate. It does NOTHING to restrict or prevent the sin that you conjure up in your mind. It goes directly against the person. It does not affect the promiscuous. It only affects those that wish to secure a loving monogamous relationship.

I do appreciate the continued affirmation of your position. It does help underscore my position of the danger of the fundamental religious crowd to society by their unswerving insistence of forcing their antiquated morality on the rest of us.

Hi Mesquite! How are you this wonderful day? I am so glad that you have joined us! Laughing

I used to think when my Grandma punished me for something I did wrong or wouldn't let me do something I wanted to do that she hated me. But you know what, she explained to me that when she tried to teach me right and wrong she was doing it because she loved me! It took me a long time to learn that, I'm afraid. I thought for a long time she just hated me, but I finally learned that even though I didn't agree with everything she said or did, and she didn't agree with everything I said or did, she loved me and I loved her! That was a great lesson in my life. She also is the one that taught me just how important it is to stand by what you believe is right no matter who else thinks it is wrong.

I am beginning to think you and some others knew my grandma! Some of you are so good at sticking to what you believe because you think it is the right thing. That is wonderful. I admire people that stick to what they believe no matter what anyone else thinks. Because I am sure you know how hard it can be to do that, don't you? Sometimes people like to make fun of others that believe differently and I really don't like that. I hope that never happens to you, Mesquite. You and I have had some wonderful conversations and you have given me so many links to all kinds of different things. I have learned so much from you and I am so appreciative of that.

I am so happy you understand about me sticking to what I believe is right. I thank you so much for your understanding. :wink:

I hope you have a wonderful day, my friend! It's beautiful weather here in Louisiana and I am trying to get all my housework done today!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
J-B,

I am pondering over your last post. I will get back to you on this. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you! Laughing
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite Wrote:

Quote:

Howdy-doo Mesquite! How is yo' this hyar wonnerful day? ah's so glad thet yo' haf joined us! Laughin' ah used t'reckon when mah Gran'ma punished me fo' sumpin ah did wrong o''dn't let me does sumpin ah wanted t'do thet she hated me. But yo' knows whut, she explained t'me thet when she tried t'larn me right an' wrong she was doin' it on account o' she loved me! It took me a long time t'larn thet, ah's afraid, cuss it all t' tarnation. ah thunk fo' a long time she jest hated me, but ah finally larned thet even though ah didn't agree wif ev'rythin' she said o' did, an' she didn't agree wif ev'rythin' ah said o' did, she loved me an' ah loved her! Fry mah hide! Thet was a great lesson in mah life. She also is th' one thet taught me jest how impo'tant it is t'stan' by whut yo' believe is right no matter who else reckons it is wrong, acco'din' t' th' code o' th' heells! ah's beginnin' t'reckon yo' an' some others knowed mah gran'ma! Fry mah hide! Some of yer so fine at stickin' t'whut yo' believe on account o' yo' reckon it is th' right thin'. Thet is wonnerful, ah reckon. ah admire varmints thet stick t'whut they believe no matter whut ennyone else reckons. On account o' ah's sho'nuff yo' knows how hard it kin be t'do thet, doesn't yo'? Sometimes varmints like t'make fun of others thet believe diffruntly an' ah pow'ful doesn't like thet. ah hope thet nevah happens t'yo', Mesquite. Yo' an' ah have had some wonnerful cornvahsashuns an' yo' haf given me so menny links t'all kinds of diffrunt thin's. ah have larned so much fum yo' an' ah's so appreeciative of thet. ah's so happy yo' unnerstan' about me stickin' t'whut ah believe is right. ah thank yo' so much fo' yer unnerstan'in'. Wink ah hope yo' haf a wonnerful day, mah friend! Fry mah hide! It's right purdy weather hyar in Louisiana an' ah's tryin' t'git all mah housewawk done today! Fry mah hide!

I think you need some sleep MA.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:10 pm
Mesquite,

That is so nice of you to be concerned about me! But, I know that you are a kind person and it would be natural for you to worry about whether I am getting enough sleep or not. :wink:

I am just cracking up at what you posted!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif Of course, it took me awhile to figure out what it all said! Not many people here in Louisiana talk like that so it took me awhile to find someone that could translate it for me! Oh, there is one thing though, they don't say "Fry mah hide!" here in Lousiana. What they really say is, "Bless My Soul!" Aren't the differences in this world just amazing? Some think that God designed it all and some think that it happened another way. I think the neatest thing is that we are all different and we can learn so much from each other no matter what we do believe!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif

Grandma always said, "Doesn't matter what shape the gingerbread cookie is in. What matters is the ingredients!" :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:14 pm
What they actually say in Louisana "Hey mama, in what direction does the sun come up where you live?"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:50 pm
Hi Dys!

How are you today? I am so happy to see you too!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif Oh, I know that one! You were trying to trick me, weren't you? You sly old rounder you! The sun comes up in the same direction in Louisiana as it does everywhere! Woo Hoo! I got it right, didn't I? :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
Well actually no MA, while the religious majority of Lousiana have decreed by fiat that the sun rotates around the earth, this is in fact untrue. Atheist scientists have proven that the earth rotates in an orbit around the sun. Now MA I realize you hold to the belief (When it's appropriate) to dis the OT in favor of the NT so obvioulsy you don't support the notion that the sun can be stopped in mid flight around the earth (or do you?) anyway I hope you get my drift, being a majority does make something right or true, it only means it's popular.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:02 pm
That is, of course, the heart of an argumentum ad populum fallacy . . . i still prefer Anatole France's riposte:

Because fifty million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Well actually no MA, while the religious majority of Lousiana have decreed by fiat that the sun rotates around the earth, this is in fact untrue. Atheist scientists have proven that the earth rotates in an orbit around the sun. Now MA I realize you hold to the belief (When it's appropriate) to dis the OT in favor of the NT so obvioulsy you don't support the notion that the sun can be stopped in mid flight around the earth (or do you?) anyway I hope you get my drift, being a majority does make something right or true, it only means it's popular.

Mr. Dys,

There you go again! Trying to trick me with that wit of yours! But, I caught it!

Quote:
...being a majority does make something right or true, it only means it's popular.

I know you meant doesn't make it right or true! That's a good one, Mr. Dys!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:05 pm
Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
That is, of course, the heart of an argumentum ad populum fallacy . . . i still prefer Anatole France's riposte:

Because fifty million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

How right you are, Mr. Setanta! I have written this down in that journal of mine so I won't forget it! :wink:

I love learning these things!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
If you read the quote again, MA, you'll see that the forgiving the trespasses have nothing to do with trespasses against you, it simply says 'forgive others their trespasses'. In other words, don't judge others, forgive them their moral/ethical transgression, let them live their lives as you live yours, and take no action to prevent their decisions. I am not assigning any feelings to you other than the lack of ability to live and let live as I've said many times before. It's not about how you feel. Forgiveness does, in fact, mean condonning that which you think is sin.

If, in fact, forgiveness meant condoning what might be considered sin is true, then I submit there would be no need for forgiveness in the first place.
0 Replies