Liberal Hypocrisy about Intelligent Design

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:33 pm
How do you define forgiveness, MoAn?

Not necessarily forgiveness as mentioned in the bible, but forgiveness generally.

What do you think the word means - straight up - without putting it into a bibical/god context.

~~~~~~

And if it's different, what do you think forgiveness in the bible means?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:40 pm
ehBeth,

I'd be happy to answer that. When I forgive someone for something I treat them as if the thing never happened in the first place. I don't bring it up anymore and neither do they.

And yes, I can forgive someone more than once for the same thing. I can forgive someone for something they don't even ask forgiveness for (as in cases of someone doing something to me, that is). To forgive, to me, is to not harbor bad feelings for someone concerning the issue at hand.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
If you read the quote again, MA, you'll see that the forgiving the trespasses have nothing to do with trespasses against you, it simply says 'forgive others their trespasses'. In other words, don't judge others, forgive them their moral/ethical transgression, let them live their lives as you live yours, and take no action to prevent their decisions. I am not assigning any feelings to you other than the lack of ability to live and let live as I've said many times before. It's not about how you feel. Forgiveness does, in fact, mean condonning that which you think is sin.

If, in fact, forgiveness meant condoning what might be considered sin is true, then I submit there would be no need for forgiveness in the first place.

Exactly!!! Although I don't think you exactly meant what you just said. Try thinking of condoning and forgiving as synonyms. I think you've just agreed with me, MA, you just haven't seen through it yet. You can think of it in terms of condoning the trespasses of others or forgiving the trespasses of others, they are the same thing. Live and let live. Concern yourself with your own moral/ethical choices as they affect your life. Leave others to make the same choices for themselves - forgive them their trespasses...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
I cannot agree for a moment that to condone and to forgive are synonymous, and in fact, i assert that they are not.

At the same time it is ludicrous to assert that forgiving someone is tatamount to condoning that which one believes is in need of forgiveness. In the case of homosexual couples, i really rather doubt that they would acknowledge a contention that they were guilty of a transgression which need be forgiven. I also suspect they would laugh to scorn that the willingness or unwillingness to condone their choice of lovers were at all meaningful.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:16 pm
There ya go, set. As if one person can forgive anybody else for what they do that is considered a sin is just plain hogwash. Who do they think they are? god?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
I cannot agree for a moment that to condone and to forgive are synonymous, and in fact, i assert that they are not.

At the same time it is ludicrous to assert that forgiving someone is tatamount to condoning that which one believes is in need of forgiveness. In the case of homosexual couples, i really rather doubt that they would acknowledge a contention that they were guilty of a transgression which need be forgiven. I also suspect they would laugh to scorn that the willingness or unwillingness to condone their choice of lovers were at all meaningful.

I'm referring to the use of the word 'forgive' in Matthew 6:14, something MA can relate to. I agree that the homosexual couple does not seek forgiveness or look to being condoned. My statements were not from the perspective of the couple at all. If people base their judgements against homosexuality on their interpretation of the bible, then it is those people who can look at the same bible and see where they might find tolerance rather than persecution or denial, particularly when it comes to taking the words of Jesus over those of Paul.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:22 pm
But, J_B, MA has already disallowed the claims by bible scholars that god is not a homophobic. MA knows better than the scholars or what's written elsewhere in the bible!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
Exactly!!! Although I don't think you exactly meant what you just said. Try thinking of condoning and forgiving as synonyms. I think you've just agreed with me, MA, you just haven't seen through it yet. You can think of it in terms of condoning the trespasses of others or forgiving the trespasses of others, they are the same thing. Live and let live. Concern yourself with your own moral/ethical choices as they affect your life. Leave others to make the same choices for themselves - forgive them their trespasses...

Sorry J_B. I know exactly what I meant. Forgiving someone for something is not the same thing as saying it is ok for them to do it. Not at all. If we did not forgive people for things that we feel we need to, then I think man would probably have been extinct by now. If your husband does something to you and you forgive him, are you saying it's ok for him to do what he did in the first place? I highly doubt that you would.

Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:

And this is why, Mr. Setanta is my Smileys Anonymous Sponsor!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif He sees it from both sides! Laughing

Mr. Cicerone Imposter Wrote:

Quote:
There ya go, set. As if one person can forgive anybody else for what they do that is considered a sin is just plain hogwash. Who do they think they are? god?

Mr. Cicerone Imposter, does this mean you never forgive anyone for something they may have done to offend or harm you in any way? :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm

Quote:
But, J_B, MA has already disallowed the claims by bible scholars that god is not a homophobic. MA knows better than the scholars or what's written elsewhere in the bible!

But Mr. Cicerone Imposter, do you believe every single thing every single scientist says is true? Don't you have to use your own intelligence when discerning things also? Idea

Do all scientists say the same thing about everything? :wink:

Also concerning politics, do you believe every single thing every one of them says about a certain subject or do you have to decide for yourself based on the information? :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
"Mr. Cicerone Imposter, does this mean you never forgive anyone for something they may have done to offend or harm you in any way?"

I never forgive racial and homphobic bigots. If anything is done to me, it can be forgiven.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
I would have to agree, C.I., that the loudest, pushiest members of the god squad set themselves up to be judges of others. It is one among a host of execrable charactristics which assure they don't get invited to parties . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
If your husband does something to you and you forgive him, are you saying it's ok for him to do what he did in the first place? I highly doubt that you would.

Condone and 'ok' are NOT synonyms. Condone and forgive are:

con·done Pronunciation Key (kn-dn)
tr.v. con·doned, con·don·ing, con·dones

To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure. See Synonyms at forgive.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=condone

Synonyms: forgive, pardon, excuse, condone
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=forgive

It is not necessary to think a behavior is ok in order to condone/forgive it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
Personally, J_B, that does violence to my understanding of the meaning of condone. However, i don't think it worth arguing over. The important point is that no one such as MOAN has any right to expect to force a point of view on others upon the basis of contentions about what their imaginary friend told them--so i'm happy to cede the debate to you on that matter of definition.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:45 pm
Thanks, Set. I enjoy argument only slightly less than I enjoy quoting scripture, or not at all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:46 pm
J_B,

On the basis of your definitions, yes, I also concede. So, let me rephrase it, ok? If I vote for something that I think is wrong, then I put forth the false assumption that I approve of it. And, I won't do it. Very Happy

Mr. Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
Personally, J_B, that does violence to my understanding of the meaning of condone. However, i don't think it worth arguing over. The important point is that no one such as MOAN has any right to expect to force a point of view on others upon the basis of contentions about what their imaginary friend told them--so i'm happy to cede the debate to you on that matter of definition.

You have done violence to Mr. Setanta! Twisted Evil But, I am sure he will forgive you for it. He's just that kind of guy! Laughing

Quote:
I never forgive racial and homphobic bigots. If anything is done to me, it can be forgiven.

I don't understand Mr. Cicerone Imposter. If someone is not being racially or homophobic toward you, why would you need to forgive them? Idea You just said if anything was done to you, it could be forgiven. Who is being racially bigoted or homophobic towards you? You just tell me and I will talk to Mr. Setanta and see if he can set them straight for you!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:50 pm
I have a cousin i haven't seen in 35 years who lives at least 2,000 miles away. On a trip I happened to be in her area and rang her up. She areed to meet me at a lucheon spot. I met her there and upon sitting she asked me "have you been reborn in the spirit of jesus?" I responded "I can forgive to your abject rudness if that's what you mean."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:52 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B,

On the basis of your definitions, yes, I also concede. So, let me rephrase it, ok? If I vote for something that I think is wrong, then I put forth the false assumption that I approve of it. And, I won't do it. Very Happy

Great! So we've come full circle and can now address my post from this morning.

J_B wrote:
I really, *really* don't enjoy quoting scripture but I will do so because I think it may help.

Matthew 6:14 -15 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses", NRVS

The notations on 6:14 are as follows, "Trespasses translates a different Greek word than debts (6:12), one that speaks more directly of ethical transgression."

How do you reconcile forgiving them their trespasses and working to prohibit their choice?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:53 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I have a cousin i haven't seen in 35 years who lives at least 2,000 miles away. On a trip I happened to be in her area and rang her up. She areed to meet me at a lucheon spot. I met her there and upon sitting she asked me "have you been reborn in the spirit of jesus?" I responded "I can forgive to your abject rudness if that's what you mean."

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:54 pm
J_B,

Perhaps you can go back a page or two and see what I said about grandma teaching me right and wrong and how I thought she hated me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:09 pm
You've lost me, MA. I saw something to Mesquite but I don't have a clue what your Grandmas sense of right and wrong has to do with not judging others. I've been saying from the beginning that I have no judgement of your (or your grandmother's) sense of right and wrong, other than how it infringes on the rights of others to live their lives.

I also have a very strong sense of right and wrong. I make every effort to behave in a manner which reflects the morals and ethics of my upbringing. Believe me they were very black and white. As you've said, right is right and wrong is wrong and that's how I try to live *my* life. I have no right to work to force my beliefs on another unless their behavior interferes with the civil liberties of another. Let their god be their judge.
0 Replies