Liberal Hypocrisy about Intelligent Design

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:38 am
C I I read Ehrmans book recently and found his accounts a real breath of fresh air into the methodologies of biblical research. His documentation of the Nativity and the Passion of Christ I found quite scientifically reasonable and minimal mumbo-jumbo. (Which is typical of many of the Evangelicals, ie you ask a question about what a piece of scripture menas, and, as a n answer, you get another piece of scriptuer derivative of the first. Im having a discussion on this with real life over on the evolution thread. I havent hit with any of the other areas of Ehrmans work.

Ehrman was raised and grew into adulthood as a "Born again". With his detailed researches into Scripture , hes described himself as a happy contented agnostic.

I wish Frank were with us so I could recc Ehrmans book to our boy from NJ.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:24 am
I am not sure this belongs here or even in the spiritual section, but the article is about the intelligent design and schools, so...If it is out of place, please accept my apologies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/20/AR2005122000532.html

Quote:
Judge Rules Against 'Intelligent Design'
Dover, Pa., District Can't Teach Evolution Alternative

By Michael Powell
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 21, 2005; A01

A federal judge barred a Pennsylvania school district yesterday from mentioning "intelligent design" as an alternative to evolutionary theory in a scathing opinion that criticized local school board members for lying under oath and for their "breathtaking inanity" in trying to inject religion into science classes.

U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III, a Republican appointed by President Bush, did not confine his opinion to the missteps of a local school board. Instead he explicitly sought to vanquish intelligent design, the argument that aspects of life are so complex as to require the hand, subtle or not, of a supernatural creator. This theory, he said, relies on the unprovable existence of a Christian God and therefore is not science.

"The overwhelming evidence is that Intelligent Design is a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism and not a scientific theory," Jones wrote in a 139-page decision. "It is an extension of the Fundamentalists' view that one must either accept the literal interpretation of Genesis or else believe in the godless system of evolution."

In November, voters in Dover threw out eight of nine school board members; the ninth was not up for reelection. The new school board, which favors teaching evolution, will not appeal the ruling.

Jones's decision puts an exclamation mark on a courtroom battle widely hailed as the successor to the Scopes "Monkey Trial" of 1925, when proponents of modern scientific methods first battled creationists in court over the teaching of Darwin's theory of evolution. State and local school boards from Kansas to Georgia and Florida have begun challenges to evolution, and these officials watched Dover closely in hopes of divining how much leeway they might get in federal court.

If yesterday's decision is any guide, opponents of evolution now face a very tough task, advocates on both sides agreed.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:30 am
revel wrote:
I am not sure this belongs here or even in the spiritual section, but the article is about the intelligent design and schools, so...If it is out of place, please accept my apologies.

It can not be repeated enough.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
rosborne979 wrote:
revel wrote:

Question
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:24 am
revel wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
revel wrote:

Question

I meant that your choice to post the article, no matter where, is a good one. The ignominious defeat of ID in Dover can not be repeated enough.

(how's that? Smile )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
I'm absolutely delighted by the decision. Is it really true? For once the triumph of reason over superstition?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
Yes, for once, this country trumped reason over religious superstition, but Dover is only one of many places in the US still pushing for ID as science in our schools.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:21 pm
Much better, rosborne979, sometimes you gotta be a little more clearer for us slower on the uptake folks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I'm absolutely delighted by the decision. Is it really true? For once the triumph of reason over superstition?

Don't get too excited, the Shrub is still el Presidente until January 19, 2007 . . .
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
Do you know something I don't know?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
No, i'm just an optimist for the long term, and a pessimist for the short term . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
Setanta wrote:

Don't get too excited, the Shrub is still el Presidente until January 19, 2007 . . .
groan. just seen your signature line. smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
Thanks, Boss . . . it goes against my nature for the most part, but i'm quoting myself there . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:53 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Intelligent Design is Ebonics for science.

Apples and oranges. By teaching Intelligent Design theory, schools reflect a judgment about facts. By teaching classes in Ebonics, they reflect a judgment about the language that children are most efficiently taught in. Although I personally support neither, I find it perfectly consistent if a school chooses to teach evolution exclusively -- in Ebonics.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:20 pm
@Thomas,
4 years later and you drag this one up again. Weve just begun to slow down the ID thread, now you get alll riled up .

Hey, C.I.'s gonna be in Philly next week, john boy and me are meeting him for dinner. WHats yer schedule like?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@farmerman,
Yea, Thomas, come and join us. T.
Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure! Just let me know when you know the day and the location. I'm flexible.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 07:31 pm
@Thomas,
We're staying at the Omni Hotel at Independence Park, and the dinner will be on November 13. We still haven't decided on a venue or time, but I'm sure farmerman can recommend someplace that'll be really nice - maybe even historical.

My wife and I are leaving for Philly on the 8th, and arriving on the 9th in the morning. We're planning to take a trip to Gettysburg and environs on the 10th or 11th, and hope to do Philly on our other "free" days. We have a two day car rental, so we might gallivant to other destinations, but will play it by ear for now.

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, It would be easier fdor Thomas and I (probably Johnboy too) to meet in the KING of PRUSSIA area. It coonects the trunpike with his and my areas. There are some decent but not fantastic restaurants in that area. The really bgood restaurants in Philly, like Ls Bec Fin , are booked way ahead and a Friday is a bad day for in town.
I can recc some restaurants for CI on his visit but as a get together, Id be coming in from the Harrisburg Airport and itll be 77 miles , and for Thomas its even farther into Philly.
Just an idea.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman, King of Prussia sounds okay, but how do we get there from downtown Philly? Is there regular bus service or other public transportation available? Please advise.