Big Brother Goes To School

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:56 pm
big brother
here is one of many articles dealing with video surveillance in britain...BIG BROTHER WATCHES...
as the article states, many crooks have already developed their own "defence systems" against this surveillance. in one filmclip i saw , crooka explained how to spot and disable these sysstems or , at least, make them less effective. as the article also states, the crime rate is still going up. criminals are changing their systems too . hbg
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:49 pm
If it deters and stops one person then it is worth it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 05:27 pm
sturgis wrote : "If it deters and stops one person then it is worth it. "
going by that reasoning , why don't we put electronic bracelets on every person , because - as you stated - "If it deters and stops one person then it is worth it " .
i wonder if sturgis is already lining up to receive his "bracelet" ? could it possible apply only to "all others" ? i sure hope not ; let's have total surveillance . hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:04 pm
Knowing Sturgis just a bit, I suspect that's a bit tongue in cheek.

There! I've marked the thread. I think I want to come back.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:18 pm
Intent-schmintent. The perp wrongfully appropriated property not rightly his, in the process damaging and/or reducing in value or function public property; open-and-shut vandalism and theft on the facts. Apart from that, anyone dismayed by scrutiny of public gathering places is a fool.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:10 pm
timber

How do you know there was damage? Easy enought to unscrew/unplug a camera. So let's say, for the sake of argument that there was no damage.

Then, according to the story, his mother brought the camera back to the school, so there was no loss of property (can there be a theft with no loss?).

You disallow the factor of intent with an ease that isn't reflected in careful jurisprudence. For example, if one student stole a camera and then sold it the week before this event we are discussing, should both be subject to the same penalties and would that be just?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:15 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Apart from that, anyone dismayed by scrutiny of public gathering places is a fool.

Most people don't consider restrooms, even public ones, to be "public gathering places".
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:18 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Apart from that, anyone dismayed by scrutiny of public gathering places is a fool.

Most people don't consider restrooms, even public ones, to be "public gathering places".

I've heard some stories...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:32 pm
I think lots of knifings and much else have happened in school restrooms. I can see the arguability of the need.

On wanting more police on the street to protect us, sure, sometimes, and sometimes not. Sometimes they are way off base in their summary of things. Sometimes they are very helpful.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:36 pm
Re: Big Brother Goes To School
blueflame1 wrote:
Free Market News | December 3 2005

Related: Kids Being Conditioned To Big Brother and Police State

Ah, but that's the topic, isn't it? I'm going out on a limb and and say it's true. And successful - or so many people wouldn't be accepting it as normal.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
blatham, what preceded or followed or precipitated the unlawful conversion of property is immaterial. The theft exists in that the boy took the camera. Period. The vandalism exists in that the value and/or function of property not the boy's was negatively impacted by the boy's action. As for the mother's return of the camera, restitution does not undo the crime.

Now, as to the public gathering place deal, I prolly stretched there a bit - overlooked the restroom detail. Still, argument may be made that the common area of the facillity, as opposed to the privacy stalls and/or bathing/changing areas, could be considered public space, entertaining no notion of privacy.

While I gotta say I think placing a camera in a restroom was prolly stupid on the order of grabbing a glowing welding rod to see if it was hot, it prolly was entirely legal.
0 Replies