Paint Touch-Up Thinner

CDobyns

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:10 pm
Have a small container of automobile touch-up paint. The paint has gotten a little too thick to apply and leave a satisfactory finish. The paint is described as a lacquer-based paint. What is the correct thinner for that type of paint? In a small separate container I've tried mineral spirits and an alcohol-based thinner - both with no results. I'm pretty sure things like, water, milk, vinegar, windex and beer will be equally ineffective. Any better (and more coherent) suggestions from the collective audience?

Thanks

Chris
Severn, MD
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,196 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:51 pm
Look for specifically automotive lacquer thinner ... should be available through any automotive parts and supplies retailer, and quite likely also from your particular vehicle's dealer parts department. Never had occasion to check, but I imagine suitable product would be available on the web - damned near everything is.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:26 am
I'm not sure that previous reply was terribly beneficial, but I appreciate the effort. Hate to suggest replies to my own question, but thought a little more about this - and got to wondering whether the proper agent for lacquer probably wouldn't just be lacquer thinner? Think I've seen that at Home Depot in the past. Why wouldn't that be the thinner of choice in this case?

Maybe what I do is take my automotive touch-up to Home Depot and ask them? Other ideas?

Thanks
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
Like the answer or not, automotive lacquer has a number of properties tailored to suit it to its design function. Automotive lacquer thinner is a distinct formulation taking into account those properties. Household, marine, or furniture lacquer thinner will not suit the purpose. If you don't trust me, go find an autobody repair shop and ask the painter there.

Actually, thinking about it, that might not be a bad idea; the amount you need likely is miniscule. Automotive painting facillities use thinner by the 55 gallon drum - the painter might just give you a small jar of it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:59 pm
Good idea there, timber, cuz a quart of lacquer thinner is just apt to cost more than a replacement bottle of touch up paint, anyway.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:04 pm
I always use laquer thinner to clean my brushes except for water soluble paint. Another heavy duty cleaner is acetone.
0 Replies