UNBELIEVABLE! US is outsourcing stabalizing Iraqi cities

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
Unbelievable! US is outsourcing stabalizing Iraqi cities. Can this be true---or is it a fake? ---BBB

IRAQ: Strategic City Stabilization Initiative (SCSI)

General Information

Document Type: Grants Notice
Funding Opportunity Number: RFA 267-06-001
Posted Date: Nov 30, 2005

Original Due Date for Applications: Jan 31, 2006
The Request for Application will be issued after December 16, 2005

Current Due Date for Applications: Jan 31, 2006
The Request for Application will be issued after December 16, 2005

Archive Date: Mar 02, 2006
Funding Instrument Type: Cooperative Agreement

Category of Funding Activity: Regional Development

Expected Number of Awards: Not Available.
Estimated Total Program Funding: $1,020,000,000.00
Award Ceiling: $1,320,000,000.00
Award Floor: $1,020,000,000.00
CFDA Number: 98.001 -- USAID Foreign Assistance for Programs Overseas

Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement: No

Eligible Applicants
Unrestricted (i.e., open to any type of entity above), subject to any clarification in text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility"

Agency Name
Agency for International Development, Overseas Missions, Iraq (CPA) USAID-Baghdad

Description
The United States Agency for International Development is seeking applications for an Assistance Agreement from qualified sources to design and implement a social and economic stabilization program impacting ten Strategic Cities, identified by the United States Government as critical to the defeat of the Insurgency in Iraq. The number of Strategic Cities may expand or contract over time. USAID plans to provide approximately $1,020,000,000 over two years to meet the objectives of the Program. An additional option year may be considered amounting to $300 million at the discretion of USAID. Funds are not yet available for this program.

Link to Full Announcement
IRAQ: Strategic City Stabilization Initiative (SCSI)

If you have difficulty accessing the full announcement electronically, please contact:
Feurtado, Yvette, Contracting Officer, Phone 962-6-590-6477, Fax 962-6-590-6333, Email [email protected] Feurtado, Yvette
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may return to Grants Opportunities at:
AID OM listed by [Posted Date]
AID Agencywide listed by [Posted Date]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,121 • Replies: 26
No top replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
BBB

"Outsourcing" is now a bigtime part of military activity.

And it gets worse. Last evening on PBS news, an ex CIA staffer said that a third to a half of CIA operations are now outsourced to private contractors in Iraq.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
Maybe I should send me resume. That was posted on Monster.com, right? Or was it Craigslist?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
BBB thinks it is a fake
I'm suspicious about this piece as the URL does not work. I looked for the actual government site and noticed that the seal at the top of the notice is not the same as on the actual government's site.

I suspect this is a fake. It was posted on the Huffington blog. I'm going to notify them of what I found and that it may be a fake.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:06 am
kickycan wrote:
Maybe I should send me resume. That was posted on Monster.com, right? Or was it Craigslist?

Having met you, and as I have some concern for your success in future endeavors, and as I think we ought to be realistic regarding standards required and certain realities regarding yourself, I recommend you apply to the French Foreign Legion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:20 am
Oh, its For Real, Alright.

I'll observe too the consternation it appears to have caused in the pollyanna world of the lefty/lib/loonyfringe just further exemplifiies the vast disconnect separating their worldview from reality.

Not a day goes by that I don't ever more greatly understand and appreciate the global ascendancy of conservatism. The libs truly have jumped the shark.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:22 am
timber link=url not found
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
anyway, what's the issue with outsourcing?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:29 am
Re: UNBELIEVABLE! US is outsourcing stabalizing Iraqi cities
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Unbelievable! US is outsourcing stabalizing Iraqi cities. Can this be true---or is it a fake? ---BBB

Description
The United States Agency for International Development is seeking applications for an Assistance Agreement from qualified sources to design and implement a social and economic stabilization program

BBB you misunderstand how USAID works. USAID maintains a very small staff who's job is mainly over sight and liaison. The majority of USAID programs are implemented by contractors who are hired to implement a specific program. This allows the agency a degree of flexibility as it can increase or reduce incountry employees as the program requires. This is the way USAID has always worked and in my profession (anthropology) this has been a major source of part time non academic employment. I have a niece in Iraq at the moment working on a USAID project, she has been there for about 6 months and will be there for another 6 at least.

Your shock and outrage are misplaced in this instance, and more the result of ignorance as to how USAID works rather than any perfidy on the part of the Bush administration, in this instance.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
Dys
http://www.fedgrants.gov/Applicants/AID/OM/BAG/RFA&%23032%3B267-06-001/Grant.html

Above is the URL for the Huffington blog article - it goes nowhere.

The actual United States Agency for International Development site URL is:
http://www.usaid.gov/

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
It's for real
Further research reveals it is for real:

http://www.fedgrants.gov/grants/servlet/SearchServlet/searchservlet

See the International Development item.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
Timber
Timber, you are right that I didn't understand how this agency works.

I was just astonished that the government is paying non-defence department, non-state department- non executive branch to develop a post invasion plan to stabilize Iraq cities. Shouldn't this have been a major component of the original war planning instead of 2-1/2 years after we invaded Iraq?

BBB
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:54 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Shouldn't this have been a major component of the original war planning instead of 2-1/2 years after we invaded Iraq?

I would think so, since if you consult the notice, we are now willing to pay in excess of one BILLION dollars to come up with a plan to stablize Iraq's cities.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:48 pm
Sorry for the confusion. Seems something related to A2K's link handoff affects that particular link. Odd - it happens with some links, not with most others - dunno why, may eventually look into it.

Anyhow, whatchya got going on with the huff(ington post)-'n'-puff crowd is a thorough misapprehension of both situation and relevant fact. This is just the way things work, there's nothing at all new or extraordinary about it, it is not a "plan to stabilize Iraq", and it is just one component of the in-place-since-inception overall plan for the orderly reintegration of Iraq into the community of responsible, self-actuated, self-sufficient, democratic states. That now it has been put into effect is convincing evidence the on-the-ground situation in Iraq is progressing inexorably toward satisfactory and intended resolution.

Things there are far, far from "All Better Now", and will remain so for some time; that's the nature of insurgencies. As the December election looms closer, expect ever more desperate countermeasures to be attempted by the insugents, and expect those measures to fail.

Now, something the huff-'n'-puffers may be forgiven for being astounded, confounded, and dismayed by will be developments pertaining to domestic US political opinion polling trends. The fun - for those of my perspective - is just beginning.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
timber

We may have talked of this before. I'm not at all comfortable regarding the privatization of so much that is happening in Iraq. Obviously, the logistics stuff doesn't matter so long as there's thorough oversight (the fraud issue). But much else now has been privatized now and the institutional/legal corners of controlling corporate goons is a big bloody problem (you likely saw the video that turned up in the last few days where the Aegis psychos filmed themselves arbitrarily murdering while they drive and listen to Elvis).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:05 pm
I just want to let you know that when I saw that video I ended up bawling like a baby for three minutes here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:07 pm
Gingrich, as cited in your current sigline, observes wisely, bernie Twisted Evil
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
LOL. Well, not "wisely" I think. Unless one considers that starvation might be ameliorated by gnawing away at one's self. Pogo-wise he ain't.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
Worthy riposte. Would that all of your persuasion possessed even half your wit.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Anyhow, whatchya got going on with the huff(ington post)-'n'-puff crowd is a thorough misapprehension of both situation and relevant fact.
Yes, and we're all just dying for you to enlighten us.

timberlandko wrote:
This is just the way things work, there's nothing at all new or extraordinary about it,
What do you mean "nothing at all extraordinary about it". How many wars are we presently involved in, at the moment?

timberlandko wrote:
it is not a "plan to stabilize Iraq",
No, just ten cities in Iraq.

timberlandko wrote:
and it is just one component of the in-place-since-inception overall plan
An in-place-since-inception plan that in 2½ years has been unable to stabilize as many as ten cities, apparently.

timberlandko wrote:
....for the orderly reintegration of Iraq into the community of responsible, self-actuated, self-sufficient, democratic states.
Right. They're already drawing up plans to open up a Disney World in Fallujah in 2009.

timberlandko wrote:
That now it has been put into effect is convincing evidence the on-the-ground situation in Iraq is progressing inexorably toward satisfactory and intended resolution.
What do you mean "put into effect"? The notice for bids on Strategic Cities Stabilization Initiative was just posted five days ago!

timberlandko wrote:
Things there are far, far from "All Better Now"....
In fact, we'd all happily settle for "Won't Get Worse For Awhile".

timberlandko wrote:
....and will remain so for some time; that's the nature of insurgencies.
An insurgency that we had no in-place-since-inception overall plan to face, owing to the fact that we expected to be greeted as liberators and figured the Iraqis would probably take care of Saddam and his boys before we ever reached Baghdad.

timberlandko wrote:
As the December election looms closer, expect ever more desperate countermeasures to be attempted by the insugents,
I see you've given up promising visible improvement in the situation.

timberlandko wrote:
and expect those measures to fail.
Which means the elections will be carried out. Just like all the other elections. And exactly what difference have all those elections made in the situation over there so far?
0 Replies