she's sorry, very sorry, I'm sorry too

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
Judith Miller, the US journalist at the heart of the CIA leak probe, has apologised to her readers because her stories about WMD and Iraq turned out to be wrong.
The US journalist, who spent 85 days in prison over the summer before agreeing to give evidence to a grand jury investigating the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame, made the apology during an exclusive interview for BBC Newsnight.
She said: "I am obviously deeply chagrined that I ever write anything that turns out to be incorrect. I'm deeply sorry that the stories were wrong."
The journalist also voiced concerns about the implications of the failure of intelligence for the wider, so-called "War on Terror".
"I think it's a terrible failure, it's a shocking failure, it's a deeply troubling failure, because if we didn't know about Iraq, what do we really know about the programmes of Iran or North Korea or Syria or what al-Qaeda is up to?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,102 • Replies: 47
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:17 am
Now if we can just get Bush to admit the same!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:22 am
I'm pretty sure Bush is also sorry.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
Yep, Bush is the sorriest s.o.b. I've ever known.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
It is definitely a sorry state of affairs but there are people paying for it with their lives who never had any knoweldge of it, never mind buying into it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Can you guys believe this shite?

I'd like to slap her, seriously

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
ALL the people in the military volunteered. There is not one single soldier, airman, marine or sailor who did not. Everyone in the military who has an IQ above "damn I'm stupid" knew full well the dangers of being in the military. These people accept what their lives are. If a person is not willing to make the sacrifices that are required to be in the military, they never should have raised their hand.
For those in the military, It is not a matter of if a war should have been declared or not. It's a matter than one has been declared.
Everyone is so willing to blame Bush. That seems to be so simple. Last time I looked at my constitution, it was congress who approves the budget and congress who can declare war and make treaties. Congress did declare war, congress approved the budgets since then and congress has made no attempt to design and establish a treaty.
How many of you have been to Iraq to see how the Iraqi's feel about not being oppressed anymore?
Did Bush make a scenic connection from Al Quada and Bin Laden to Iraq? Sure he did. And I have no qualms about it in the slightest. Nor does my family who await my return. And, should I not return? My family will know that it was in defense of what I believe- and that is everyone should be allowed the chance at true freedom.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:22 pm
so ralph I take you think it's a-ok that false information justifing the invasion of Iraq is a good thing because it's a volunteer army?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
Thanks for signing up to defend our country.

Quote:
Did Bush make a scenic connection from Al Quada and Bin Laden to Iraq? Sure he did. And I have no qualms about it in the slightest.

Then you have no qualms about our CIC lying to the American people. That's not fine with me, or most people.

Once again thanks for your service, I'm sure all here would agree with me that politics and the opinions expressed have nothing to do with our respect for the military man.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
so ralph I take you think it's a-ok that false information justifing the invasion of Iraq is a good thing because it's a volunteer army?

Can you give me one, single specific quote by Bush, Cheney, or Powell that was a lie? I anticipate a number or responses telling me that it's so familiar that giving an example is beneath their dignity. I assert that you cannot.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm
Here's a lie from yesterday:

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/12/01/embedded-time-reporter/

And don't even make me bring up Powell's speech to the UN; he was lying, and he knew it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Here's a lie from yesterday:

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/12/01/embedded-time-reporter/

And don't even make me bring up Powell's speech to the UN; he was lying, and he knew it.

Cycloptichorn

So Iraqi forces were present, and the president says they were leading, whereas some reporter says they were being led. It sounds like a matter of interpretation to me, even if one interpretation is more accurate than the other. You people trumpet from every rooftop that Bush lied, yet are unable to come up with so much as one single example of a plain, clearcut lie by him - hilarious. I want a single quotation from any of the three that is a demonstrable lie. You can't give me one. All you can give me is matters of interpretation and vague references to entire speeches.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
Oh please. The entire thrust of Bush's point was that the Iraqi army was assuming leadership roles, when according to people who were actually there, the opposite was true.

That's deception, not a 'difference of interpretation.' An attempt to decieve the listeners of the speech into believing that an untrue situation took place.

That's a plain, clearcut lie.

No matter how you try to spin it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
What does "led by" mean?

9 Battalion so one of them was in the lead and the others we in other stratagic positions.

Bush may not know alot, but if this is what you consider a lie, then you are not being objective.

Did it occur to you that maybe the article misrepresented the facts or was not clear enough on the facts?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh please. The entire thrust of Bush's point was that the Iraqi army was assuming leadership roles, when according to people who were actually there, the opposite was true.

That's deception, not a 'difference of interpretation.' An attempt to decieve the listeners of the speech into believing that an untrue situation took place.

That's a plain, clearcut lie.

No matter how you try to spin it.

Cycloptichorn

No, it's a matter of subjective interpretation. Saying, "That was never discussed at the meeting," when it was discussed, would be a plain, clearcut lie. You people talk as though every word out Bush's mouth is a lie, but are able only to give issues of interpretation and sincere mistakes. You're hilarious.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:54 pm
B9, every time you ask this question you get responses but disregard them or spin them into "exaggerations" or "mistakes". Then you go to the next thread and ask it again, only to ignore the responses.

I noticed you left off Rumsfeld -- no confidence that he was always honest then?

Anyway, here's one for you.

Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt that he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us. -- Cheney
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:55 pm
Sorry, I'll trust the word of someone who was there over someone who wasn't there.

When the US forces draw up a plan, US soldiers direct the Iraqi army where to go, then the US is leading the fight. Simple as pie.

I'm not interested in 'subjective interpretation' bullsh*t. You guys are pathetic.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:15 pm
ralpheb wrote:
ALL the people in the military volunteered. There is not one single soldier, airman, marine or sailor who did not.

What about all the civilians caught in the cross fire, did they volunteer also?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:16 pm
They don't count Acq, they just a buncha Eye-rackee Muslims . . . sheesh, Boy, git wit' the program . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:21 pm
ralpheb wrote:
ALL the people in the military volunteered. There is not one single soldier, airman, marine or sailor who did not. Everyone in the military who has an IQ above "damn I'm stupid" knew full well the dangers of being in the military. These people accept what their lives are. If a person is not willing to make the sacrifices that are required to be in the military, they never should have raised their hand.
For those in the military, It is not a matter of if a war should have been declared or not. It's a matter than one has been declared.
Everyone is so willing to blame Bush. That seems to be so simple. Last time I looked at my constitution, it was congress who approves the budget and congress who can declare war and make treaties. Congress did declare war, congress approved the budgets since then and congress has made no attempt to design and establish a treaty.
How many of you have been to Iraq to see how the Iraqi's feel about not being oppressed anymore?
Did Bush make a scenic connection from Al Quada and Bin Laden to Iraq? Sure he did. And I have no qualms about it in the slightest. Nor does my family who await my return. And, should I not return? My family will know that it was in defense of what I believe- and that is everyone should be allowed the chance at true freedom.

Well said. Your thoughts are very similar to those of my brother, who has made a lifetime of service in the service.
0 Replies