America refuses to sign Kyoto Protocol

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:17 pm
By BETH DUFF-BROWN, Associated Press Writer
50 minutes ago

MONTREAL - The United States defended its decision not to sign the Kyoto Protocol on Monday, saying during the opening of a global summit on climate change that it is doing more than most countries to protect the earth's atmosphere. Question

The 10-day U.N. Climate Control Conference is considered the most important gathering on global warming since Kyoto, bringing together thousands of experts from 180 nations to brainstorm on ways to slow the alarming effects of greenhouses gases.

Leading environmental groups spent the first hours of the conference blasting Washington for not signing the landmark 1997 agreement that sets targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions around the world.

Dr. Harlan L. Watson, senior climate negotiator for the State Department, said that while President Bush declined to join the treaty, he takes global warming seriously and noted that U.S. greenhouse gas emissions had actually gone down by eight-tenths of a percent under Bush.

"With regard to what the United States is doing on climate change, the actions we have taken are next to none in the world," Watson told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the conference.

Watson said the United States spends more than $5 billion a year on efforts to slow the deterioration of the earth's atmosphere by supporting climate change research and technology, and that Bush had committed to cutting greenhouses gases some 18 percent by 2012.

Elizabeth May of the Sierra Club Canada, however, accused the world's biggest polluter of trying to derail the Kyoto accord, which has been ratified by 140 nations.The United States, the world's largest emitter of such gases, refused to ratify the agreement, saying it would harm the U.S. economy and is flawed by the lack of restrictions on emissions by emerging economic powers such as China and India.

The targets for cuts vary by region: The European Union initially committed to cutting emissions to 8 percent below 1990 levels by 2012; the United States had agreed to a 7 percent reduction before Bush rejected the pact in 2001.

As signatories to Kyoto's parent treaty, the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change, Washington is still an active participant at the conference, even if it prefers investments in climate science and technology rather than mandatory emissions caps.

Many had hoped Canada would persuade its neighbor to join the Kyoto accord, though Washington no longer has that option.

"I will certainly welcome any idea that may bring the United States closer to Canada, Europe, Japan, England and other countries as partners in this convention," Canada's Environment Minister Stephane Dion said. "We cannot do without the Americans because they represent 25 percent of emissions, and an even greater percentage of the solution."

Cool Yes, the bottom line with America is always the almighty dollar, isn't it?
The decision to not sign the Protocol is unconscionable. I'd like to see anyone defend this current idiocy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,698 • Replies: 22
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:32 am
The idea is supported by the US and has been. The problem we find with this plan, drafted by the UN, is as usual, there are double standards between member nations. Until ALL NATIONS are placed on an equal playing field, I support our decision not to ratify.

The US position is laid out nicely on this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol#Position_of_the_United_States
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
Didn't the Canadian government just fall apart?

Perhaps you guys should just allow the Queen to rule over you from Britain.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:02 am
McGentrix wrote:

.......Perhaps you guys should just allow the Queen to rule over you from Britain.

That's if we are still above sea level in the years to come.

Gee, thanks!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:29 am
woiyo wrote:
The idea is supported by the US and has been. The problem we find with this plan, drafted by the UN, is as usual, there are double standards between member nations. Until ALL NATIONS are placed on an equal playing field, I support our decision not to ratify.

All nations are not on an equal playing field in any other way so why do we insist on it now?

But I came here to say that it doesn't matter (other than just how it looks for us to snub our noses at it) if the US abides by Kyoto since it appears that US governors are implementing it themselves, making the feds irrelevant.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:15 pm
woiyo wrote:

Yeah, by a completely UNBIASED source I'm sure Crying or Very sad :wink:

The main reason that the US refuses to sign on is the corporations, who stand to lose $$ by implementing expensive measures to reduce emissions. And we all know who finances GWB's campaigns....
Again, the almighty in the US is the dollar. Well, I guess you guys can get gas masks in designer colours, anyway eh?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:33 pm
If the US economy tumbles, it has a global impact.

Even in Canada.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:36 pm
Bit the same as your pollution then.....eh?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
Personally, I'd prefer to do without USA goods, and be hurricane free, living on dry land, thanks.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Didn't the Canadian government just fall apart?

Perhaps you guys should just allow the Queen to rule over you from Britain.

Very Happy You're stupidity is astonishing! P. Martin is still our PM and everything is just fine. Et tu?

It's called democracy HERE. If things don't work out, WE can change things. To bad you can't do that in America, where you can't even impeach a Pres who lies, and on an on.
Democracy in America? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do you know anything about Canadian gov't? How many parties do we have? What does a minority gov't mean? Yeah, I thought so. DUH. Our system works much better than your corrupt fascist one. And it's been around much longer (Parlimentary system) compared to your failed experiment.

The Queen has not been a part of Canada, since the 1860's.
Same thing with Australia, New Zealand...did you flunk Civics and World History TOO? Geez.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:48 pm
englishmajor wrote:

Boy the associated press isn't biased..... Rolling Eyes All media is biased. Just depends on what lean of the tilt you are on.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Personally, I'd prefer to do without USA goods, and be hurricane free, living on dry land, thanks.

Yes, I agree - but the US doesn't produce any goods. They are all outsourced. China owns the US Laughing as I'm sure you've heard. McGen twin towers person is another deluded, frantic american who thinks the world can't survive without America. What a joke. Canada was doing business with Europe in the 1960's until they got talked into NAFTA, which is a disaster. We are weaning ourselves away from the US with agreements with other countries. We don't need America. But America is very interested in the fact that we have the most water on the planet. Let's see, maybe we'll sell it to em for, say, $70 a barrel? Or maybe they can just go thirsty.

Sorry - I digress - I do agree with your comment about the US getting their emissions under control before they kill us all. They have already affected the weather. Funny that they got hit so hard and still don't get it. As I said, the Corps control Bush and he's in denial as far as global warming. I do wish hurricanes would go as far as Crawford Ranch....who knows, maybe they will Laughing or the White House :wink:
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
englishmajor wrote:
woiyo wrote:

The main reason that the US refuses to sign on is the corporations, who stand to lose $$ by implementing expensive measures to reduce emissions. And we all know who finances GWB's campaigns....
Again, the almighty in the US is the dollar. Well, I guess you guys can get gas masks in designer colours, anyway eh?

Well, it is apparent you did not even READ IT!!! DID YOU!!!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:04 pm
I will GLADLY head to Washington, D.C. and demand that my elected representatives in Congress ratify the Kyoto Treaty...

Once it is ammended to require ALL nations, INCLUDING China, India, South Asia, all in Africa and the bulk of South and Central America to make the same levels of cuts as the U.S. is required to.

Exempting India and China is like demading that the everyone run a race, except that the nations of the West wear 100 pounds of weights during the sprint.

Once the language is corrected, I'll be glad to march with you.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:06 pm
woiyo wrote:

Well, it is apparent you did not even READ IT!!! DID YOU!!!

Englishmajor will not read anything that might shatter her carefully constructed fantasy world.

Psychiatrists call this denial.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:26 pm
englishmajor, Paul Martin is visiting the GG today to discuss the upcoming election. It is not "all good" in Canada.
I have heard that although Canada committed itself to the Kyoto protocol, we are by no means remotely close to meeting the mandate...and this latest debacle in Parliment isn't going to help matters. We know how conservatives feel about the environment...if we face a Conservative minority, then you can kiss Kyoto buh-bye.
...and I wouldn't stand too high on your democratic pedestal. Canada is hardly the epitome of democracy in action. This next election will truly illustrate how much of a fraud everyone in the Canadian political scene really is.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:30 pm
Fedral wrote:
I will GLADLY head to Washington, D.C. and demand that my elected representatives in Congress ratify the Kyoto Treaty...

Once it is ammended to require ALL nations, INCLUDING China, India, South Asia, all in Africa and the bulk of South and Central America to make the same levels of cuts as the U.S. is required to.

Exempting India and China is like demading that the everyone run a race, except that the nations of the West wear 100 pounds of weights during the sprint.

Once the language is corrected, I'll be glad to march with you.

Wont work with any language. Even if China did sign, does anyone really expect such a closed/poor nation to abide by these rule? If it hurts their development/economy, they wont abide by it, and the world community will not be able to enforce it.

It would be a simple matter to sign the treaty and then ignore its proscriptions.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
What bothers me most about the entire Kyoto dialogue, is that the language used focuses onclimate change, which is, has been, and will continue to be contentious among scientists with different political slants.
What seems to get lost in the debate is the essence of the issue: pollution.

Calling it climate change opens the dabate on "climate change" and closes the discussion on global pollution.
The evidence is in that we all tacitly consent to corporate environmental destruction and that the current trend is going to continue. Unfortunately, using the "climate change" scare tactic had about as much long term impact as Bush's WMD scare tactic.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
What bothers me most about the entire Kyoto dialogue, is that the language used focuses onclimate change, which is, has been, and will continue to be contentious among scientists with different political slants.
What seems to get lost in the debate is the essence of the issue: pollution.

Calling it climate change opens the dabate on "climate change" and closes the discussion on global pollution.
The evidence is in that we all tacitly consent to corporate environmental destruction and that the current trend is going to continue. Unfortunately, using the "climate change" scare tactic had about as much long term impact as Bush's WMD scare tactic.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
Instigate wrote:

Wont work with any language. Even if China did sign, does anyone really expect such a closed/poor nation to abide by these rule? If it hurts their development/economy, they wont abide by it, and the world community will not be able to enforce it.

It would be a simple matter to sign the treaty and then ignore its proscriptions.

So it is ok for the Western Democracies to 'hurt their economies' by attempting to force more cleanliness restrictions on industries that are already some of the clanest in the world rather than ask the countries with some of the dirtiest industries to make even the most basic of reforms?

Thats just not right in any language.
0 Replies