Catsuit - discuss

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
OK, so there's apparently going to be this new movie called "Aeon Flux"... and there's some pictures on IMDB. Charlize Theron appears to be wearing the same catsuitthingie in each one. And I'm .... eh. Of mixed feelings.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0402022/Ss/0402022/147R.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0402022/07166.jpg

Discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,371 • Replies: 48
No top replies

annifa

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
Well. What can I say... She has arms... and yep, legs too. Quite handy I've found in my limited experience of life. Oo I say she has hair. Wasn't she blonde before? Maybe it's a wig! Gosh, what a thought. That holster doesn't seem to in a very practical place, why doesn't she wear it round her waist like a normal cowboy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
How does she get into that contraption? Catsuits usually have fairly obvious entry and exit routes.

Good to know she's flexible enough to handle that gun between her shoulder blades?

It's a lovely outfit, but she'd definitely need staff to get in and out of it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:17 pm
She's a cartoon character. She only needs an artist with an overdeveloped but underutilized sex drive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:33 pm
That's a horrible catsuit. The boobs are utterly wrong. They're squashed and too low, not push-up enough. With proper boobs it might be OK, but it's trying to be "interesting" and non-standard in the wrong ways. (I don't think the fault is in Theron's boobs, I think it's the construction.)

I tried to find a good picture of Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, but I didn't find any good ones after a bit of looking.

Diana Rigg was another search attempt, no dice.

Anyway, catsuits can be done well, that one isn't. I like the tights-type fabric on the arms, but not much else.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
I have no opinion to offer on the cat-suit.
Some pictures in her birthday suit would be nice tho'.
Can anyone oblige?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:40 pm
I looked again, maybe it is partly Theron. She's very fit and all but she's just not very curvy. Not just the boobs, but waist/ hip ratio. Catsuits work much better on serious curves.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:49 pm
This is more my idea of a proper catsuit.

http://www.impawards.com/1998/posters/avengers_ver3.jpg
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:53 pm
Is that a suit? It looks like spray paint.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:58 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's a horrible catsuit. The boobs are utterly wrong. They're squashed and too low, not push-up enough. With proper boobs it might be OK, but it's trying to be "interesting" and non-standard in the wrong ways. (I don't think the fault is in Theron's boobs, I think it's the construction.)

Yup. The breasts look more funny than anything else. The whole thing looks kind of home-made, cheap, rather than the kind of wowing super-techno stuff you'd imagine Hollywood be able to come up with nowadays. The back is pretty OK - I like how its worked open and all. But the front is kinda oddly mismade, homely almost. Not to mention that triangle thing weaved into where, well, her triangle is.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:00 pm
Yeah, I agree. Charlize has obviously lost weight for this role, and it cost her the curves she needs to pull this look off.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:04 pm
I'm not sure Charlize ever had curves - well, she did when she made Monster.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:09 pm
She's had curves. And decent arms. (Look at her arms in that second photo. Scary.)
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:13 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Is that a suit? It looks like spray paint.

You mean it's not?!? Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
Yeah, nimh, the triangle thing is weird. Plus, it's one of the only places where shiny fabric is used. I have the impression one is supposed to make the "glistening" connotation... eek.

I also think it's meant to draw the eye from the rest of it -- if the costume designers are trying to draw your eye away, and with such cheap tricks, you know they're in trouble.

Eva's idea that she lost more weight than they expected makes sense to me.

Maybe it looks better in motion, though. I'd remembered Michelle Pfeiffer being a knockout as Catwoman but none of the stills I found looked very good.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
This was her at the Oscars earlier this year. Much healthier look, don't you think?

http://www.mediasearch.com.au/film/spotlights/Oscars%202005%20-%20Charlize%20Theron.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:19 pm
Also (sorry, this is why I want a "Style" section, I love this stuff, patterns bore me but I love figuring out construction), there are noticable hip dents in both pictures where it's too tight or the materials differ in tensile strength too much -- dents are NOT kosher for catsuits, which are all about long continuous lines.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:23 pm
Much! I notice there's a lot of boobage frou-frou, though, making them look bigger than they actually are, so maybe they are smallish to start with. And she still doesn't have much hips. But the dress maximizes what she has a lot better.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:28 pm
True. But I wasn't looking just at the boobs. Look at the difference in the arms, the width of the hips, all over, really. Compare with the photo in nimh's second link. Obviously a dramatic weight loss.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:31 pm
Yeah, I'd buy that. Also the Oscar dress seems to have some boning/ structure, as in her waist may not have been as small as it appears there without being cinched.
0 Replies