CNN - what's happened to it?

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:42 pm
CNN - all war, all good news, all the time. The most droning channel around. Showing picture after picture, giving glowing account after glowing account. Below is a wide angle shot of a close-up CNN recently showed. Glaring discrepancy. Obvious deliberate management of news presentation. Except for US and GB, other news seems to be showing a broader base.

Are we so sheep-like we do not question? All my life I was taught to question, to research for my answers, to keep looking. And finally, when I came to believe, to accept.

The manipulation of the news is strong, but it is beginning to show. These later press conferences with Rumsfeld aren't going so well, with seasoned reporters asking questions of a peevish Rumsfeld. And it is obvious that our great victory hasn't been met with great jubilation.

As for CNN - I remember when it was a channel to watch. It's sad to see what has happened.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article2838.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:07 pm
Mamajuana -

I knew for the last year that CNN was a "tool" and it was rather depressing for this to have occured. There was such hope and promise there at CNN when it was in it's glory days. When I was in Atlanta in 1986 I was able to tour the TNT network building and see the CNN channel and the Weather Channel being broadcast live. Very enlightening! I also had a friend in the journalism "biz" that got a job at CNN - here's an interesting tidbit - the "anchors" who were little more than the MTV "veejays" were paid minimum wage! This was not conjecture - this was straight from a pal who worked there!

Now, the biggest blunder that CNN made to my eyes was the gagging of reporter Kevin Sites. Here is what a respected blogger, Dan Gilmor, had to say about this and other gagging:

Quote:
UPDATED

In an appalling op-ed piece in the New York Times, "The News We Kept to Ourselves," CNN's chief news executive says: "Over the last dozen years I made 13 trips to Baghdad to lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more distressed by what I saw and heard -- awful things that could not be reported because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly those on our Baghdad staff."

CNN should have left the country. It was not worth keeping a bureau open if the only way to do so was to make so many ethical and moral compromises.

Lance Knobel wonders what compromises CNN is making elsewhere.

and about Kevin's blog that was stopped at the request of CNN:

Quote:
Kevin Sites got it. His employer did not.

Sites, a CNN correspondent reporting from Iraq, created a weblog. Day by day, as the second Gulf War since 1990 approached, he posted stories and commentary. He told readers what it was like to be a correspondent in an unfriendly place. Day by day his audience grew.

CNN had been the journalistic pathbreaker in the 1991 Gulf War. Now, showing how quickly a company can go from leadership to stodgy, its news officials did the stupid thing when they became aware of the Sites weblog. They told him to shut it down.

CNN's cluelessness was all the more misguided given its heavy push onto the World Wide Web. But it was not as surprising as you might expect. CNN had become old media, in a world where the rules, techniques and just about everything else are changing so quickly it's hard to keep up.

Part 1, Making the News, Gilmor"CNN's Incredible Admission", by Dan Gilmor, Silicon Valley blog
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:17 pm
Cobalt - I was in Lisbon when the Gulf War started, and everyone was tuned into CNN. It's reputation was so good, and all my Portuguese friends respected it and watched.

Today it seems sychophantic (or sycophantic?), and embarrassing.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:26 pm
You are right, and the term "syncophant" could not be applied more appropriately than in this case with CNN....
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:12 am
mama<

When Bill Clinton was president, conservatives liked to rail CNN as the Clinton News Network.

Then, when Dubya was appointed president, conservatives began to lionize the FOXNews Network as "fair and balanced." Soon, CNN and FOXNews were into a ratings war that continues today.

Far from being "fair and balanced," FOX has outrated CNN in the coveted evening line-up which features a show hosted by the crusty Bill O'Reilly and another by the upstart Sean Hannity. Coverage by the FOX right-leaning hierarchy has meant tough times for CNN.

It is my opinion that CNN will continue to lose audience ratings unless the producers there recall that CNN pioneered the 24-hour news coverage concept. Because of this tradition, it should hire the best talent in the business.

I find that, despite the Peter Arnett embarrassment, MSNBC 24/7 is TV's superior news channel. MSNBC's reporters such as David Shuster, Brian Williams, the late David Bloom and so many others seem to me, at least, to be the TV's best news team.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:55 am
I agree, Williamhenry, and they sound like real people. It seems to me that anyone with sense in that field would have studied the Murdoch philosophy and coverage, and try to keep away from the usually low level of stuff they offer. They seem to equate shouting and sleazy pics with reporting, but then, they have never cared whether they report or not. Te Murdoch pubs are interested in readership and audience levels, tied in very closely, of course, with advertising revenues. Although they are still trying to come up to the Daily News in New York.

CNN, by comparison, has become a boring, droning, repetitive old man, apparently unaware of what is happening.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:28 pm
mama<

Why CNN choses Aaron Brown as its late-night anchor is beyond me. He reports with the energy of someone on very powerful psychotropic drugs.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:48 pm
Part of the problem is that FOX has turned news into entertainment. It is Paddy Chayefsky's nightmare Network come to life.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:44 pm
What's the news about CNN having info that they held back in the beginning of the war in an effort to keep it's people safe??
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:35 pm
Acquinick<

Yes, FOXNews and the movie Network have a lot in common. Thanks for the thought.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:48 pm
husker - here's the New York Times on the piece about CNN hiding news. This piece brought in a lot of letters to the editor, with most of them chastising CNN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/11/opinion/11JORD.html

Another slant on why and how to read the news:
Frank Rich, on the New York Times op-ed page - starting off with Barbara Bush...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/13/arts/television/13RICH.html
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:22 pm
man I have to open an account
wonder if the abuzz one works?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:24 pm
For the Times? Just go there. They have a very simple sign-up, although you can get a lot of stuff just by going. Or did you mean something else?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:06 pm
Husker<

Your Abuzz account probably will sign you in to www.nytimes.com.

My day is not complete without at least viewing The New York Times on the Web. The editors also send out daily news summaries, which are free, and which I find to be an indespensable guide to the day's news.

Happy reading.
0 Replies