CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

ralpheb

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:07 pm
Not once. Does that mean there can't be? No. Convicts are similar to drug and alcohol abusers. They will tell you what they think you want to hear, and they will continue on their path. I have been around drug users, alcoholics, thieves, rapists etc. They are just like camilians(sp). They will change based on their environment, but they change is only temporary. As I said befor, 80% of all released convicts end up back in jail. Usually, they are back with a worse crime then what they were in there for prior. What happens to the other 20%? Who knows?
You may recall the movie/documentary "Scared Straight." they followed that up with another one called "Scared Straight: 20 years later." Out of the original convicts, only one wasn't still in jail/back in jail. But, he hadn't been out very long either. Most of the kids who were there had been straightend out, however, there were still several who continued on their path and either died of drug use or were arrested.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:11 pm
Wow. I am glad you told me about that. I had always wondered abou those kids that were getting "Scared Straight."
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:00 pm
When I saw the 20th anniversary show, I was not as impressed as I was the first time. It may still have an AFFECT on kids, but to me it was strating to get to the point of being staged. One of the inmates involved in the second show was the son of an inmate from the first. They were both in there.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:04 pm
Geesh. Seems our judicial determents just aren't working too well, are they?
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:58 pm
echi regarding:
Quote:
JamesMorrison wrote:

Lastly, many wring their hands and agonize over the innocent/guilty issue, you know-- is the condemned really guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? The reasoning to end all executions on this basis can easily, and often does, result in an analysis to paralysis situation that emotionally ties us in knots, and rightly so. The answer is simple: make sure the defendant is guilty. Sometimes this is easy, oft times it is not. It is here discretion should rule, so, should we let the jury decide the defendant's fate or an experienced jurist?

Your reply:
Quote:
The answer is simple but impractical. We can't be sure. People will be executed for crimes they did not commit. Every time this happens the state fails to fulfill its primary responsibility.

I failed to be clear and the paragraph of mine you cite obviously requires further clarification:

The necessity of capital punishment lies not in morality but in practicality. Legal sanctions find their validity in vengeance, punishment, and deterrence. The former two applied towards the actual perpetrator the latter hopefully successfully implemented in the context of decreasing similar acts in the society involved.

Much hand wringing occurs when faced with the prospect of the execution of prospective innocent death row inmates, but this mitigates little against the execution of the convicted. Simply put, a legal system that allows for the defense, perhaps paid for by the very state that prosecutes, appellate review, and even the reexamination and overturning of the conviction really doesn't get much better and should be allowed, at some point, to come to a final decision. Final decisions are extremely important to victims and work against cruel and unusual punishment for the convicted. Remember this is the same legal system that finds accused murders not guilty. Would those that argue against the legal system that finds people innocent of murder throw this system out with the bath water merely because the other side of the coin demands justice for wrongs committed against those members of society it protects when their lives are brutally taken from them? This said, I would argue for more liberal treatment of real evidence, such as DNA, that could be considered exculpatory, but not much since this can easily be abused. (Many regard the appeals process-- the average is twelve years--, as cruel and unusual for both the convicted and the family of his victim(s) but, given the Law's ultimate resolution of murder cases, this is necessary to help guard against the execution of the innocent.)

If morality is to be applied anywhere, it is against the economic argument towards saving lives by the extinction of a particular life. How does this work if, initially, the guilty party is incarcerated and then eliminated entirely from society? Deterrence might be cited but, looking at the majority of individual cases, would not apply since passion, perceived disrespect, or unknown psychopathic origins serve as causative agents in most of the cases in question. Economic arguments to this question always come up wanting. Consider the argument that it is more economic to summarily execute the condemned than to pussy foot around with pesky legal appeals and evidential reexamination.

The American legal system is sound. Capital punishment is practical. Both are morally informed by the experience of the members of society. Regrets? We have a few, but these are based on hindsight which is only useful regarding further decisions and not condemnation of individuals for past decisions honestly made.

Respectfully,

JM
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:52 am
JamesMorrison wrote:
Legal sanctions find their validity in vengeance, punishment, and deterrence.

In the context of this issue, "legal sanctions" are punishments, so punishment cannot be used as justification for punishment.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
guevara,
Which judiciary states that, 'suicide is illegal?' It is not! Just like we have the right to life, we have the same right to death too. But to assist anyone in committing suicide is illegal because anyone can get away with murder and use assisted suicide as an excuse. Anyway.

As regards capital punishment, I don't think it should be there because it plays with the rights of the criminal's family. For example, what did this person's mother or father or brother or sister or friend do to see their loved one go through the death penalty? In looking after the interests of the victim's family, the criminal's family's interests need to be upheld too. The criminal must be punished severely for the gross crime committed but death is not the solution.
0 Replies