CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
I am totaly against the death penalty.....

As I pointed out in another thread the death penalty has never been a deterant yet!!...so whats the other alternative- lock them away for the rest of their natural lives? which ultimately costs the tax payer millions of dollars.....heck why not, they sit on death row for 20 years as it is, whats another 10?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:24 pm
Kiwichic,

Hey girl! Good to see you!

I see both sides for the death penalty. I just don't really have strong convictions either way. Yes, an innocent person should never be executed. But, can we go back and blame everyone and everything that led to that execution? Don't think so. If the law was followed and they were convicted because the evidence proved them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, then everyone did their duty.

So, I guess we just need to come up with some better deterrents and ways of ensuring no innocent person is convicted.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
goodfielder wrote:
The very fact that an innocent person could be executed is enough to condemn the death penalty. If an innocent person was executed shouldn't every person - from the police investigator right up to the government officers who carried out the death penalty and the politician who (perhaps) denied an appeal for clemency - be at least indicted. And if they were convicted of causing the death of an innocent person what should be their penalty? Should they be executed? Perhaps imprisoned for a lengthy period so as to deter the others?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

This is the problem with CP. People have to make the determination between if someone is guilty or not. The concept of Capital Punishment is imminently agreeable with me, but the measure in which it's distributed is neither infallible nor adequate.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:14 pm
goodfielder wrote:
The very fact that an innocent person could be executed is enough to condemn the death penalty. If an innocent person was executed shouldn't every person - from the police investigator right up to the government officers who carried out the death penalty and the politician who (perhaps) denied an appeal for clemency - be at least indicted. And if they were convicted of causing the death of an innocent person what should be their penalty? Should they be executed? Perhaps imprisoned for a lengthy period so as to deter the others?

The only problem with it is that an actual killer might end up not being caught and convicted if an innocent person is executed. However, who among us is truly innocent? We have all sinned to some degreee and done things which are wrong so if executed it is what was meant to be and God will sort it out when we get there (to the afterlife world)
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:38 pm
Sturgis wrote:

The only problem with it is that an actual killer might end up not being caught and convicted if an innocent person is executed. However, who among us is truly innocent? We have all sinned to some degreee and done things which are wrong so if executed it is what was meant to be and God will sort it out when we get there (to the afterlife world)

This is, of course, absolute rubbish if you are in any way insinuating that we should use the above tenants to regulate in any way shape or form the uses of Capital Punishment.

Or anything else for that matter.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:47 pm
Questioner wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

This is, of course, absolute rubbish if you are in any way insinuating that we should use the above tenants to regulate in any way shape or form the uses of Capital Punishment.

Or anything else for that matter.
First off I tend to not use tenants for my views although I do use tenets.

Moving along now...It is not rubbish it is a simple statement of fact that all humans have sinned and erred in some way. This is why even if I were sentenced to death for something I did not do I would not start babbling like a loon about the injustice of capital punishment. Of course I hope this does not happen to me but if it does, then so be it and after I am dead and back home with God and the spirits of the great beyond I will be informed why it had to be.
Who said life was perfect? It's not, and there will be those confusing sad times but the death penalty exists for a good reason and to not have it is asking for trouble.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:06 pm
Nothing's perfect but we can try and approximate it.

Sturgis there is still the idea of "proportionate punishment" - remember eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth? It meant exactly that - one eye for an eye, not two eyes for one eye.

You're right, all of us have erred to some degree but not many of us have erred to the degree that we deserved to be executed.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
I think when Capital Punishment begins to be an issue that people seriously consider to be the business of the state; it's a symptom of a screwed up system. Merely a symptom.
Houston, we have a problem! Smile
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:54 pm
I would just like to say that I believe in capital punishment, now this is very sad for the few capitally sentenced that turn out to be innocent, but I absolutely hate it when a killer goes to jail, acts like a good boy for a few years, then gets out on an appeal and kills again. It really heats me up.

So, in closing I would like to share a quote from Texan Comedian Ron White:
"...that's right. If you kill someone here, we'll kill you back. It 's our policy..."
I agree with his take on the matter.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:33 am
CD - in that case, would you object to being the innocent person who is about to be executed?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:37 am
I may agree with one thing or the other if I understood the question.

Could any one of the previous posters or the author tell me what the question is, and if so would you point it out?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:35 am
Laughing

Oss, I don't think there was a question. Just bait for our opinions to shine through.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
Sturgis wrote:

First off I tend to not use tenants for my views although I do use tenets.

Sorry about the misspell, I tend to write a tad more quickly towards the end of the day, which lends itself to more mistakes.

Quote:
Moving along now...It is not rubbish it is a simple statement of fact that all humans have sinned and erred in some way. This is why even if I were sentenced to death for something I did not do I would not start babbling like a loon about the injustice of capital punishment.

I'm sorry, but this really is hogwash. You're telling me that someone inaccurately accused of murder and sentenced to death should be OK with it simply because at some point down the line he was doing 60 in a 45? What a ludicrous notion. Or, as I pointed out before, absolute rubbish.

Quote:
Of course I hope this does not happen to me but if it does, then so be it and after I am dead and back home with God and the spirits of the great beyond I will be informed why it had to be.
Who said life was perfect? It's not, and there will be those confusing sad times but the death penalty exists for a good reason and to not have it is asking for trouble.

The death penalty exists because in past times society wasn't advanced enough to properly deal with murderers and convicts. I agree that CP is a good system when it works, but the problem is ensuring it works. And currently, there's no way to do that.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:26 am
Questioner wrote:
I'm sorry, but this really is hogwash. You're telling me that someone inaccurately accused of murder and sentenced to death should be OK with it simply because at some point down the line he was doing 60 in a 45? What a ludicrous notion. Or, as I pointed out before, absolute rubbish.

Well which is it? Rubbish or hogwash. They are different things and to try to equate them is absurd...sort of like your idea that Capital Punishment should be abolished. Tell that to the family of the little 2 year old girl who was killed when her mom's boyfriend, who was out on parole for manslaughter after less than a decade decided to kill her (the child). He has been sentenced now to 4 and a half years. Sweet ain't it?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:49 am
Sturgis wrote:

Well which is it? Rubbish or hogwash. They are different things and to try to equate them is absurd...sort of like your idea that Capital Punishment should be abolished.

hog·wash ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hôgwôsh, -wsh, hg-)
n.
Worthless, false, or ridiculous speech or writing; nonsense.
Garbage fed to hogs; swill.

rub·bish ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rbsh)
n.
Refuse; garbage.
Worthless material.
Foolish discourse; nonsense.

Not only are they not different, they are listed in the Thesaurus as synonyms for one another. And kindly point out in my post where I said that Capital Punishment should be abolished. I can condemn the way in which capital punishment is applied without denouncing it as an unnecessary practice.

Quote:
Tell that to the family of the little 2 year old girl who was killed when her mom's boyfriend, who was out on parole for manslaughter after less than a decade decided to kill her (the child). He has been sentenced now to 4 and a half years. Sweet ain't it?

Well, according to the sewage you were spouting earlier, that 2 year old girl is a sinner, so noone should really care that she was killed since she more than likely had it coming anyway.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:53 am
You seem to need some serious help Q.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
goodfielder wrote:
CD - in that case, would you object to being the innocent person who is about to be executed?

No, of course not. Sad But if a jury haas proved them guilty, they are guilty unless there is some proof that they aren't, in which case it should be brought forward immediatly. Now, how to prevent an innocent person from being sentenced is another problem that I certainly don't know how to solve...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:58 am
Sturgis wrote:

Why? Because I'm calling you out on an absurd statement?
I've seen you post numerous times, and had thought you were a bit more advanced in the common sense department to be touting such sentiments as your earlier post.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:03 am
Questioner wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Why? Because I'm calling you out on an absurd statement?
I've seen you post numerous times, and had thought you were a bit more advanced in the common sense department to be touting such sentiments as your earlier post.

Rolling Eyes

Not even worth putting out a plug nickel to respond to any more of your weird anger infused nonsense.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:03 am
And yes Q, that (well this) is my last response to you on this matter.
0 Replies