The shoes I buy with karma look just like feet.

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:26 pm
I think being on A2k implies one is willing to help for free.

Having said that, and having early on typed my wee paws off on matters pertaining to my professional expertise, I now eschew nearly all such threads with vim and vigour.

I ain't got it in me no more.

Which underlines, BTW, my admiration for Timber and Craven and such who answer the same questions again and again with (on Timber's part) unfailing patience.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:30 pm
Your wee paws have offered me some exceptional professional advice and direction over the years!

Your job has to be draining enough in a work-week period. I can't imagine dealing with such things in your off time. But I'm glad you dig in sometimes. I know I appreciate it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:32 pm
Oh, always happy to add anything I can to your threads, Boomer.

It comes under the rubric of friend!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
A man I worked with some years ago asked an artist sister of a friend to design him a logo, thinking to get it for free. He was quite surprised when she charged him $75. He he.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:59 pm
Thanks, dlowan. Friends are a wonderful thing.

Yeah for artist sister!

I'm reminded of the UO student who designed Nike's logo for the grand sum of about $20.00.

I'm sure it looks good on her resume though!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:07 pm
boomer needs this

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0553526960.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:32 am
boomerang wrote:
I can only imagine that "friends" who ask for such assistance are not quite at their best anyway, being job hunting and all. That's an angsty place to be.

which is why I find it almost impossible to not help

<billing is a good idea - a good resume, from an agency, can cost a coupla grand - even billing $20 might make some people realize what they're asking>
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:49 am
I once met a guy who had 2 business cards printed. One was real, and one was for freebie-seekers. When asked for a freebie, he would produce the card with a Salvation Army logo on it and say, "I'm sorry -- I just can't do it, but I believe you can get free stuff here."

I'm an interior designer, commercial design that is (stores, restaurants, showrooms, etc.). Fairly often, someone will try to corner me for advice on their bathroom/kitchen/den/whatever. They usually back off when I seriously suggest dynomite as a renovation tool.

Clients also expect freebies all the time. I've been in Shewolf's situation more times than I care to remember. Like they say, Shewolf, you just have to be firm and fair to yourself, and be prepared to lose a client. (And someday, I'm sure that I'll take my own advice. Rolling Eyes )

:wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
Ha, I knew I had created a topic like this, just couldn't recall the title: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23083

Boorishness is nothing new, unfortunately.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:30 am
<wondering if Tico knows BoGoWo IRL. hmmmmmm>
0 Replies