BUSH PLOT TO BOMB HIS ALLY

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:07 pm
Published on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 by the Guardian / UK
Legal Gag on Bush-Blair War Row
by Richard Norton-Taylor

The attorney general last night threatened newspapers with the Official Secrets Act if they revealed the contents of a document allegedly relating to a dispute between Tony Blair and George Bush over the conduct of military operations in Iraq.

It is believed to be the first time the Blair government has threatened newspapers in this way. Though it has obtained court injunctions against newspapers, the government has never prosecuted editors for publishing the contents of leaked documents, including highly sensitive ones about the run-up to the invasion of Iraq.

The attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, last night referred editors to newspaper reports yesterday that described the contents of a memo purporting to be at the centre of charges against two men under the secrets act.

Under the front-page headline "Bush plot to bomb his ally", the Daily Mirror reported that the US president last year planned to attack the Arabic television station al-Jazeera, which has its headquarters in Doha, the capital of Qatar, where US and British bombers were based.

Richard Wallace, editor of the Daily Mirror, said last night: "We made No 10 fully aware of the intention to publish and were given 'no comment' officially or unofficially. Suddenly 24 hours later we are threatened under section 5 [of the secrets act]".

Under section 5 it is an offence to have come into the possession of government information, or a document from a crown servant, if that person discloses it without lawful authority. The prosecution has to prove the disclosure was damaging.

The Mirror said the memo turned up in May last year at the constituency office of the former Labour MP for Northampton South, Tony Clarke. Last week, Leo O'Connor, a former researcher for Mr Clarke, was charged with receiving a document under section 5 of the act. David Keogh, a former Foreign Office official seconded to the Cabinet Office, was charged last week with making a "damaging disclosure of a document relating to international relations". Mr Keogh, 49, is accused of sending the document to Mr O'Connor, 42, between April 16 and May 28 2004.

Mr Clarke said yesterday that Mr O'Connor "did the right thing" by drawing the document to his attention. Mr Clarke, an anti-war MP who lost his seat at the last election, returned the document to the government. "As well as an MP, I am a special constable," he said.

Both men were released on police bail last Thursday to appear at Bow Street magistrates court on November 29. When they were charged, newspapers reported that the memo contained a transcript of a discussion between Mr Blair and Mr Bush.

The conversation was understood to have taken place during a meeting in the US. It is believed to reveal that Mr Blair disagreed with Mr Bush about aspects of the Iraq war. There was widespread comment at the time that the British government was angry about US military tactics there, particularly in the city of Falluja.

Charges under the secrets act have to have the consent of the attorney-general. His intervention yesterday suggests that the prosecution plans to ask the judge to hold part, if not all of the trial, in camera, with the public and press excluded. Shocked

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

Rolling Eyes By their conduct they are admitting guilt. What else are they hiding and lying about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 14
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
IRAQ WIFE 'TO SUE U.S'
Exclusive By Andy Lines And Kevin Maguire
THE widow of an al-Jazeera journalist killed in Iraq by an American attack is considering suing the US Government.

Kuwaiti-born Tariq Ayyoub, 35, died when the station's Baghdad office was bombed in April 2003.

Now his wife Dima may take legal action. On Tuesday the Daily Mirror reported that George Bush planned to attack al-Jazeera's HQ in Doha, capital of Qatar.

Dina said: "The report proves the cold-blooded murder of my husband.

"America always claimed it was an accident. But I believe the new revelations prove that claim was false or at least not trustworthy.

"I will seek legal advice in light of this new information to achieve justice."

The UK Government has banned the media from publishing details of documents telling how the President wanted to bomb the Doha station in April 2004 until Tony Blair talked him out of it.

Al-Jazeera last night demanded the PM come clean over the revelations. Managing director Wadah Khanfar said: "We're taking this very seriously. Al-Jazeera has been attacked twice before and a colleague killed. I would like an official explanation about what happened."
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:36 pm
Good luck to her. I hope an 'accident' does not happen on her way to court.

Did you hear on BBC last night that Daniel Ellsberg was arrested outside of Bush's pseudo ranch in Texas for trespassing? What on earth is America doing? Peaceful protesting is illegal now....
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:48 pm
GWB = George Willfully Blind, want us to be like monkeys to see no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
Yes Ellsberg's still doing the right thing. The Pentagon Papers should be remembered especially now with 57% of America saying Bushie deliberately lied us into war. Good to see John Dean around too pointing out another cancer on another Presiduncy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
englishmajor wrote:
Did you hear on BBC last night that Daniel Ellsberg was arrested outside of Bush's pseudo ranch in Texas for trespassing? What on earth is America doing? Peaceful protesting is illegal now....

How does this even make sense? How does trespassing equal "Peaceful protesting"?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:22 pm
Why don't you ask Bushie? He's got all the answers, doesn't he?

He wasn't hurting anybody, was he?

Geez. Read Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience". Let me know what you think of it. Your local library (even tho Homeland Security will know you checked out the book) should have the book. Unless it's been banned.

Jesus Christ was into civil disobedience as well. So was Gandhi.

You sir, need to read more. Little less CNN/Fox is good for the brain.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:31 am
englishmajor wrote:
Good luck to her. I hope an 'accident' does not happen on her way to court.

Do you know the definition of "trespassing," Einstein? It isn't covered by the first amendment, nor should it be.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:50 am
Please don't insult Einstein like that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:13 am
I think, with regard to the trespassing, that they passed a law specifically to prevent people from protesting where they had been allowed to protest before. I imagine that if they were holding solidarity rallies there would not have been new legislation.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:24 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think, with regard to the trespassing, that they passed a law specifically to prevent people from protesting where they had been allowed to protest before. I imagine that if they were holding solidarity rallies there would not have been new legislation.

EXACTLY. This is what the above posters refuse to acknowledge. The pro Bushies get to get close to him so he'll have the illusion that America likes him. (Isn't it up to over 58% think he lied about the war?) The protestors are cordoned off blocks away.
Are you going to tell me, Bushie lovers, that if you were standing where Ellsberg was standing with a t-shirt that said "I LOVE BUSH" and waving a flag, you'd get arrested for trespassing? Some democracy you've got there in America. And you're going to teach Iraq democracy....while you steal their oil..... Very Happy what a joke!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:06 am
The only joke around here is you, keep bringing the laughs.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The only joke around here is you, keep bringing the laughs.

I guess you don't hear the laughter (mostly disdain) for America throughout the world? I could care less what you think of me.

You're beyond hope, Bushie lover. Haven't you read his popularity poll ratings lately? Over 1/2 Yanks think they were lied to about the war......is your brain turned off? Or do you even possess one?

Your avatar shows what kind of person you are. I bet you don't know the first thing about Iraq, except that you get oil for your damn car from them. That's what the Twin Towers are about.....and until you people get that the world is sick of being raped by America, you'll have more Twin Towers....... :wink:

If you wish to be a non thinking Bush clone, go for it. You'd be in the minority though, something to think about. Cool
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
"But a senior official at 10 Downing Street, Blair's official residence, who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, recently seemed to give credence to the Al-Jazeera threat. The official told NEWSWEEK London Bureau chief Stryker McGuire: "I don't think Tony Blair thought it was a joke." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10269701/site/newsweek/from/RSS/
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:53 pm
If it was all on the 'up and up' don't you think they would have disclosed the details? They didn't because it would have implicated Bushie.....

Bush is a chronic liar.......as well as a boozer.
0 Replies