East Asia allies doubt U.S. could win war with China

kuvasz

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 06:55 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
They have an abundunce of nuclear power,

Don't be ridiculous. They don't have enough power for their econo... oh, you mean as in nuclear weapons. Ah, silly me. Wait, the number of nuclear weapons they have can't match with the US. Still, the US has way too much and maybe China has just about enough.

If I ever get employed, I'll be sure to remember kuvasz that you don't trust me.

Still, I wonder what happened to the Chinese sense of honour that was so present in the olden days? Sometimes I wish we could be more like the Japanese when it comes to honour.

And yes, the Chinese don't have to go to war to cripple the US. In fact, I'm wondering why the other nations that the US owe money to aren't twisting American arms right about now...

ah, so sensitive about the remark i made about not trusting chinese businessmen? good for you.

I bet you don't either and would rather enter a business relationship with a western european or north american. at least in those sorts of relationships the power of law is binding in contracts and there is a modicum of equal protection under the law. you can't not say that about the protections chinese business law affords foreigners.

ther most glaring instance of that was the recent complaint of an american automoble manufacturer who had to share its designs with the chinese partner as a part of setting up the manufacturing plant in china. within two years the identical car design hit the chinese market, but from a state controlled chinese auto maker. the american firm had no recourse under chinese law to stop the chinese company from undercutting the price of the US auto maker's own product in china.

in the US or the EU, if that was done. the company that stole the design would be put out of business or fined heavily and people would go to jail.

just reference what happened when the head of VW got sued and lost a case for bringing with him to VW protrietary vendor and design information from Ford.

that just won't happen in china, but it will in japan, whose business laws are enforced rigoriously.

btw: its not skin, its all about culture. my old roommate is chinese american, although, he has an accent like Rocky Balboa. him i trust.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
Re: East Asia allies doubt U.S. could win war with China
freedom4free wrote:
Quote:
East Asia allies doubt U.S. could win war with China

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/PublicationsArticle/CHINA_BUSH_ASIA_27.GIFSource

The very thought of invading China would be ludicrous....you would need every man, woman, and child in the US just to operate an 'occupation' force.

You don't need to invade and occupy in order to win a war; you need to invade and occupy if you want to topple their government and/or control the direction of their society.

We are more than capable of simply eradicating a Chinese attack on another country.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm
woiyo wrote:
Is Taiwan worth mutual destruction?

Not in my opinion and I do not support GW's statement that we would defend Taiwan. I also doubt this Congress would give GW the authorization.

I can not think of any security reason why we should defend Taiwan.

It is longstanding US policy that we will defend Taiwan from an unprovoked Chinese attack.

Congress would give the authorization in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Brand X wrote:
Bush won't be around forever....hopefully.

Any US president will defend Taiwan from an unprovoked attack. Bush is not in any way unique in this regard.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
I have to say, a US/China war is one of the few things in this world that scares the hell out of me. I think it would truly mean the end of human civilization. Neither country would stop until they achieved victory, The US wouldn't be unable to sustain the number of soldiers that China could throw at us. And I'm afraid of what we would do if our backs were against the wall. I don't see the US becoming anther fallen civilization. I think our country would try to take the rest of the world down with us. I mean total nuclear annihilation, and that's a scarry thought...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
freedom4free wrote:
China is drawing close to us in terms of naval power,

LOL!

No they aren't.

freedom4free wrote:
and can afford to lose many more people because the size of their army makes our army look like an ant next to a giant.

Too bad China can't afford to transport those troops to another country in an invasion.

freedom4free wrote:
They have an abundunce of nuclear power, and a will to fight that we cannot match. I'd consider a war btwn china and america a draw, because we have no nuclear superiority over them, we don't have the stomach to fight like they do.

Ummm.....

China has 20 (maybe 24) ICBMs that can hit the mainland US.

Each of their ICBMs has a single warhead, and their ICBMs explode on launch half the time.

Their ICBMs are based in silos that are extremely vulnerable to a US first strike. We would have no trouble at all taking them out

The US, on the other hand, has thousands of thermonuclear warheads that can all ride out any nuclear attack unscathed and then be launched at China.

It would only take a fraction of those warheads to eliminate China from existence.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
roverroad wrote:
I have to say, a US/China war is one of the few things in this world that scares the hell out of me. I think it would truly mean the end of human civilization. Neither country would stop until they achieved victory, The US wouldn't be unable to sustain the number of soldiers that China could throw at us.

China lacks the infrastructure to project those soldiers anywhere.

Unless we invade China, or are in an adjacent country where China can simply march them overland, we don't have to worry about their soldiers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:30 pm
This is why the china-mexico deadly alliance must be stopped!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:53 pm
oralloy wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Is Taiwan worth mutual destruction?

Not in my opinion and I do not support GW's statement that we would defend Taiwan. I also doubt this Congress would give GW the authorization.

I can not think of any security reason why we should defend Taiwan.

It is longstanding US policy that we will defend Taiwan from an unprovoked Chinese attack.

Congress would give the authorization in a heartbeat.

there has to be a better reason than just "it's always been our policy".

Why is it our policy?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
woiyo wrote:
Why is it our policy?

Looks like it was a Cold War stand against Chinese Communism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosa_Resolution_of_1955
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:11 pm
woiyo wrote:

Why is it our policy?

Because the U.S. stands by treatys that have been established in the best interests of itself and it's allies.

Supporting one of the few democratically elected governments in the whole Asian area was and still is important for us,
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:35 pm
Fedral wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Why is it our policy?

Because the U.S. stands by treatys that have been established in the best interests of itself and it's allies.

Supporting one of the few democratically elected governments in the whole Asian area was and still is important for us,

How odd then that the US has engaged in more than 50 cases of treaty termination since 1798.

But of course, you already knew that.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:11 am
Fedral wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Why is it our policy?

It appears we have terminated that treaty in 1980.

Here is the original treaty.
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/mutual01.htm

What am I missing?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:43 pm
woiyo wrote:
It appears we have terminated that treaty in 1980.

Here is the original treaty.
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/mutual01.htm

What am I missing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Relations_Act
0 Replies