What is the point to life if there is a God?

Terry

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:30 am
For those of you who insist that life is meaningless and pointless without belief in a supernatural force that created the universe but may or may not guide its evolution, may or may not adjust reality to help out a selected few of the billions who pray to it for assistance, and may or may not consign those who fail to worship it correctly to eternal torture/damnation while allowing its properly devoted minions to spend eternity singing its praises (after being cleansed of the sinful natures that defined them as human beings, of course), what is the point to a life controlled/ignored by a perfectly capricious and lovingly vengeful God?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,158 • Replies: 93
No top replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:39 am
The god you describe sounds like the same god Jesus described when he said "I shall not speak much with YOU anymore, for the ruler of the world is coming. And he has no hold on me." (John 14:30)

So I would have to agree that life controlled by such a god would be bummer.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:04 am
life with God:

has a purpose and a meaning
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:53 am
I must say Terry that you have a point there when you say, 'What is the point of life if it is controlled by a loving or vengeful God?'

My point is - How do you know that He controls our life? Do we not write our own destinies? Do our actions not write our fate? Do we not see the consequences of our dealings with others? Do we not have control over how we act and react? We do! As such, we control our own life and so life must have meaning. An ant cannot know how a spaceship is built, it can only know that if it incarnates to the higher life of a human. Similarly, we can only know how the universe and life is here when we incarnate into becoming a God. Our human body limits us from having that knowledge. Remember how Christ said, 'I and the Father are one?' I believe that He came very close to understanding God and would have led us into all truth if He hadn't been crucified for He used to say, 'I'm the Door' 'The truth' 'The way' 'The life.' He would have led us into all truth to God because God is everything and so to know God would mean we'd know all, at least as much as our human body could possible allow us to.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
There is no point to life, we just are.
Does anybody question the point of sharks or bacteria?

God and Jesus are characters in a book, like Harry Potter and Patrick Bateman.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:30 am
material girl wrote:

I think it's the billion to one accident that is our existence that concerns the god botherers so much. Their minds are too frightened to contemplate it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:33 am
And what if the point to this thread is that there is no internet and that we are really all just fragmented figments of our fantasized imagination?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
Beena wrote:
I must say Terry that you have a point there when you say, 'What is the point of life if it is controlled by a loving or vengeful God?'

That is not what she wrote . . . your entire silly post is predicated upon a strawman.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:19 pm
I must say, I've an aversion to direct quotes being altered.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:34 pm
Yay Terry!!!!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:42 pm
Thank you, A2K peeps, for teaching me what a 'strawman' is Razz

I've looked up many a word that I see repeatedly here. Strawman comes up a lot!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:51 pm
Interesting question, Terry.

I'm going to read along to see if anyone can come up with an answer.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
I say there's a purpose and a meaning to life, no matter if you believe in God or not:

It is to live, to survive, to adapt, to become better human beings than we are now

And your belief in God is just what you hold on to so you don't have to try and reason out how we got here, or why we are this way. Christianity is an attempted explaination at those questions. But, the fact is: it's okay to be Christian -- for humankind has always feared the unknown.

That's just my two cents :wink:
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:13 am
material girl wrote:

material girl- you're an athiest i presume?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:40 pm
I don't insist that "life is meaningless without a supernatural (or maybe natural in my case) force" that may (or may not in my case) have created the universe. And I would imagine multiple purposes that vary from life to life and moment to moment. For this life, at this moment, as it relates to God, I see the point being the recognition as often as possible that there is only God, that there is no other, and to grow in that awareness and to let that awareness shape my actions, and to hopefully one day unite with the Beloved, catch a glimpse in the cosmic game of hide n seek.

But that's only my personal purpose at this time in my life. I'm a weak agnostic, but for me life is much more interesting with a little myth and mysticism. One of the great things is that there are so many varieties of purposes that people find in the world. It adds spice.

I suppose another purpose, not what you were looking for, would be to take our old images of God to task, and decide which ones have become idols, profane artifacts of an old paradigm that lead into darkness, and which ones need updating so they're less patriarchal or less violent, and which ones are good just the way they are. So that's another purpose, is to try and do some of that work for myself.

Another purpose, I think, given the monistic understanding of God that I accept, would be, well, I guess what I said about actions is general enough.

But going back to what I said before, I also feel it's upon me to evaluate the traditions of my ancestors and see what needs updating, and God plays an important role in that. In a budding paradigm, the post triumphalist worldview requires a reevaluation of liturgy and ritual as well to make it more relevant and to make it speak more to the present, without forgetting voices of the past.

Dauer
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:26 am
Q: Why did God make you?

A: God made me to know Him, love Him and serve Him in this life; so that i may be happy with him for eternity in the next.

(Catechism of the Catholic Church)

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/prologue.html#life
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:31 am
What will we all do if God is

a) A woman?
b) A hermaphrodite?
c) A great spirit without any gender specification...all encompassing?
d) A being we could never understand as mortals?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:10 am
"God is a woman"-Bob Dylan.(Perfect science).
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:16 am
Related question:

How could eternal life end up being anything other than hell, eventually?

Life may have no point, but death gives it meaning.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 09:03 am
Quote:
Life may have no point, but death gives it meaning.

It is not death, which gives our lives meaning. It is God.

For an atheist, death is the end - it is nothingness. For them it is not the fulfillment of our life - but the 'full stop' at the end of our life.

For the 'believer', death is not the end. It is the 'vehicle', the route to a more perfect fulfillment.

Quote:
How could eternal life end up being anything other than hell, eventually?

I'm not sure where your coming from with this, please explain!!!
0 Replies