Ohio Congreswoman Lied About Marine Coward Comments

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:18 am
Quote:

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Schmidt in war of words
Rookie lawmaker's 'coward' remarks ricochet

By Malia Rulon
Enquirer Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - Three days after Rep. Jean Schmidt was booed off the House floor for saying that "cowards cut and run, Marines never do," the Ohioan she quoted disputed the comments.

Danny Bubp, a freshman state representative who is a colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve, told The Enquirer that he never mentioned Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., by name when talking with Schmidt, and he would never call a fellow Marine a coward.

"The unfortunate thing about all of that is that her choice of words on the floor of the House - I don't know, she's a freshman, she had one minute.

"Unfortunately, they came out wrong," said Bubp, R-West Union.

Lawmakers were in the midst of a passionate debate Friday over whether to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, an issue pushed to a vote by Republicans after public comments from Murtha.

Schmidt - decked out in a red-white-and-blue suit that resembled the U.S. flag - went to the floor and quoted from a telephone conversation with Bubp: "He asked me to send Congress a message: Stay the course.

"He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message: That cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

The comment drew a chorus of boos and shouting from Democrats.

It's unclear whether Schmidt, who will start her 79th day in the House today, knew at the time of her remarks that Murtha had served 37 years in the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve.

She immediately took back her remarks. It's against House rules to refer to a fellow lawmaker by name or to criticize them.

Schmidt, a Republican from Clermont County's Miami Township, then wrote to Murtha to explain that she has a lot to learn and did not mean to disparage his service.

Bubp, who has served in the Marine Corps Reserve for 27 years, including three years of active duty, said he called Schmidt on Friday afternoon to discuss the resolution that called for the immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq - not to talk about Murtha.

The House nonbinding resolution failed by a 403-3 vote.

"There was no discussion of him personally being a coward or about any person being a coward," Bubp said. "My message to the folks in Washington, D.C., and to all the Congress people up there, is to stay the course. We cannot leave Iraq or cut and run - any terminology that you want to use."

Still, Bubp said the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

On 'Saturday Night Live'

Since the remarks on Friday, Schmidt has been in headlines around the world, the subject of a "Saturday Night Live" skit, and discussed on countless blogs.

"I could just imagine how nervous she must have been on the floor with everyone watching," Bubp said. "I don't want to be interjected into this. I wish she never used my name."

Schmidt's chief of staff, Barry Bennett, said the congresswoman may have mentioned Murtha by name but she was referring to Murtha's call to bring U.S. troops home - not Murtha himself.

Schmidt declined to explain her comments directly to The Enquirer on Monday. She also skipped two previously scheduled appearances in Cincinnati - on a local radio show and at a reception in honor of outgoing Cincinnati Mayor Charlie Luken.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 540 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:04 pm
"He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message: that cowards cut and run, Marines never do."
-- Rep. Jean Schmidt, quoting constituent on the floor of Congress

"There's no way that I remotely tried to impugn his character."
-- Rep. Schmidt, "amazed" at reaction to her remark

=====
How is one to measure the complete density of this person?

Joe(atomic weight or Spatial Mass?)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:08 pm
The air in her head compensates for the density of her tiny brain.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
What's amusing here is that eveyone's back-peddaling to beat the band on this one. Murtha has become a sacred cow and woe be undto him/her that dares to criticize the man. (I happen to agree with him. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I get pounced upon.) Bubp probably said exactly what MeanJean Schmidt says he did. But he had to retract it pronto after Dubya himself backtracked on his initial criticism of Murtha. Then, of course, Mean Jean had to fall in line and say that she never meant to attack Murtha personally.

It is to laugh.

These people are running so frickin' scared these days I'm surprised they haven't crapped their pants. On second thought, how do I know they...?
0 Replies