Lovatts December Big No.154- The Demon

Dutchy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:05 am
Hi Butterfly

Stuck with two more, need your help once again, and if Lezzles is listening in, your views will also be appreciated.

Q. a jacket. 6 letters. I have r????r. Maybe reefer?

Q. conferred upon. 8 letters. I have ??f?r?e? The "f" in this word is from reefer in the first question.

I mention this, because if reefer is incorrect the second word will not have the letter "f" in it. Follow me? Ofcourse you do Laughing

Will await your replies. Talk again soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:11 am
Hi Dutchy,

I'll do my best to help you find the 2 answers you need.

Hope you're having a nice evening.
Talk to you soon.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:44 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Dutchy wrote:
Q. a jacket. 6 letters. I have r????r. Maybe reefer?

Q. conferred upon. 8 letters. I have ??f?r?e? The "f" in this word is from reefer in the first question.

I mention this, because if reefer is incorrect the second word will not have the letter "f" in it.

Do any more answers cross either of those two on the grid?- It might help to narrow down the search. Laughing

'Reefer' is the only 6 letter word for 'jacket' that I have been able to find in my search that matches your available letters.

I am still looking for 'conferred upon' (8)
Can I just double check the letters you have so far and their placement within the word, if we assume that 'Reefer' is correct?
??F?R?E? Would this be right?

This may seem a strange request, but when I first wrote down the letters you had and their placement within the word, I goofed! Laughing
This was what I had written down:
---f-r-e? ( I had put an extra letter at the front and a '?' at the back instead of a '-', which threw me when I was searching for the answer- I wasn't treating the '?' as a letter of the word!)

That being the case, I was able to find a word that I thought matched the clue and I was just about to send it to you when I realised my mistake!

This is what I had found:
CONFEREE- 2. A person on whom something is conferred.

Bummer! Laughing

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:57 pm
Hi Butterfly

I'm glad I looked at the "speed dial" as a2k did not notify me your latest message was there. Been trying hard all morning to solve this one, but sofar I'm not happy with the outcome.

Will give you all the details and more to see if we can come to a satisfactory answer.

103d = conferred upon. I have ??f?r?e?

This word is crossed by 3 words.

113a = a jacket, for which I have r????r . This word could be reefer.

120a = magician's command, for which I have heypresto (2 words req)

129a = interfere, for which I have meddle.

The letters f r e in 103d all come from these three words.

I'm working on the word "referred" being the answer. I can connect "refer" and "confer", but the "upon" got me whacked. What do you think?

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
Hi Butterfly

Herewith the connection I found between "confer" and "refer":

Main Entry: refer
Part of Speech: verb 4
Definition: seek information
Synonyms: advise, apply, commune, confer, consult, go, have recourse, look up, recur, repair, resort, run, turn, turn to
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

I'm still not so sure, that word "upon" has me bugged, what is your opinion? Tricky one isn't? Rolling Eyes

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 07:29 am
Hi Dutchy,

Confer> verb 1. grant (a title, degree, benefit, or right). 2. have discussions.
Synonyms- (confer on) award to, bestow on, grant, present with. 2.consult, discuss.

??F?R?E?
How about 'afforded'? Could that work?

'Afford' sense 2. to give, yield, or supply.

some of the synonyms I have found for 'afford' include:
bestow, confer, give, grant, present, impart.

similar synonyms that I have found for 'confer':
give, grant, bestow, impart, present, afford

Let me know what you think- it's probably a long shot! Laughing

Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch. Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 07:40 am
Hi Butterfly

Thank you very much for going through all that trouble for me. I will print it out and get stuck into it in the morning. Presently after midnight and time to call it a day. Smile

Will get back to you once I made up my mind which has to been soon, as the closing date is last mail next Thursday.

How are yours coming along, finding all the answers, don't forget call me when you're stuck.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:06 pm
Goodmorning Butterfly

Have decided to go with your suggestion and have submitted "afforded" as my answer.

Found this in my dictionary which also support your theory. This is an entry after the word "afford"

Main Entry: contribute
Part of Speech: verb 1
Definition: donate
Synonyms: accord, add, afford, ante up, assign, bequeath, bequest, bestow, chip in, come through, commit, confer, devote, dispense, dole out, dower, endow, enrich, furnish, give, give away, go Dutch, grant, hand out, kick in, pitch in, pony up, present, proffer, provide, sacrifice, share, subscribe, subsidize, supply, tender, will
Antonyms: detract, harm, hurt, minus, subtract, take away, withhold
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Once again thanks for your untiring effort for helping me.

Have a nice day. Talk to you again soon.
regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:30 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Can you let me know what the correct answer is when the solution is printed? I'm dying to know! Laughing

I wish you the very best of luck in the competition,and am keeping my fingers crossed for you Dutch!

Have a nice afternoon. Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:44 pm
Hi Dutchy and Butterfly!

"Afforded!" I said to myself when I first read your query. But you both managed to work that out without my help.

Sorry, I have good days and bad - the bad ones always seem to come when there is some detective work to do. One can only hang in there and keep trying!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 03:38 am
Hi Butterfly & Lezzles

Lezzles that "afforded" caused me some headaches, but now with your confirmation on top of Butterfly's suggestion I feel much happier.

Butterfly I just checked an answer you supplied to Allana for 50d in the Colossus Cryptic 102. You gave her "cogent" which sounded new to me. On double checking my solution for the clue I found I had potent as the answer!

I have changed my entry as I think your answer is the appropriate one. Thanks for telling Allana, otherwise I wouldn't have known about my error.

Have a nice evening. Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy. Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 03:35 am
Hi Dutchy,

How did the 'Sunday crossword' go? Has the solution for it been printed as yet? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 'afforded' was the answer you needed- it's gnawing away at me! Laughing

I posted away a number of competition entries today, which is always a good feeling.

How does the B/Poker Points system work? I noticed that the points tally had started again from scratch recently - how often does it do that?

I'm glad you were able to change 'potent' to 'cogent' on your cryptic entry Dutch!

Have a nice evening. Talk to you again soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:20 am
Hi Butterfly

Pleased to see you on deck again, wondering where you were.

Sunday's crossword solution will be known next Sunday morning, will "dial' you immediately once I've satisfied my own curiosity. Laughing

Bluey'sPoker runs from midnight Saturday until midnight the following Saturday. The top five qualify for bonus points, 1st gets 50 points, then 40 for 2nd, 30 for 3rd, 20 for 4th and 10 for 5th.

No change in the Puzzle page at Lovatts yet. Have a look at the following website Butterfly, http://clients.wmteam.de/draeger/firefighter_en/index_fmx.php
it earned me a prize from People magazine for website of the week the other day. A good time waster...... Laughing

This is about all the news from this end. Talk to you soon.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
Hi Butterfly

Re your request, the answer is affirmative, it arrived at 12.04pm

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Thank you for letting me know, much appreciated!

I did some online fire fighting a while back Laughing . That site is fantastic Dutchy, how did you manage to find it?

I am finishing off the Cluewords no.59 'Maxi' competition- have already completed the 'Baffler' and 'Cluewords' competitions. Will send them first post on Monday.

Good luck in your next round of B/P!

Have a good weekend Dutch.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
Hi Butterfly

Pleased I was able to help you with "fairing", it took me a while to justify that word, but finally located a motor-cycle advertisement with a picture and the word "fairing" in it.

Use the "dial" when you're stuck Butterfly, I love to help you if I can. Laughing

Pretty hot down our way, Thursday, 40.5, Friday 41.6, today 42+ and for Sunday 40 is predicted. Monday should bring a cool change, down to a comfortable 30 degrees.

Have a nice weekend.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:20 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Thank you so much for your help with 'fairing' for 'motorbike's anti-drag shield', in the Holiday 55 Stinker. Your help is greatly appreciated! Very Happy I'm going to file that one away for future reference!

I haven't finished completing the 'Holiday' Stinker competition as yet- still have a few blank areas left to do, and the bottom left hand corner was one of those areas! Laughing

After Tigiie's SOS call this morning, I filled in that part of the grid so that I would have all of the available letters to help me find the answer for her, but I was unable to solve it. Sad

I would have had to post an 'SOS' on the 'speed dial' for this clue , if you hadn't already helped Tigiie with the answer this morning! Laughing
Thank you again for coming to our rescue Dutch!

Several days in a row of 40+ temperatures must be terrible to bear and very exhausting! I hope your cool change comes through early to provide some much needed relief from all of that heat! Hope you're managing to stay cool Dutch!

Have a good afternoon. Talk to you again soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Hi Butterfly

This is how I manage to stay cool Butterfly Laughing

My beer prayer

Our lager
Which art in barrels
Hallowed be thy drink
Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk)
At home as it is in the tavern
Give us this day our foamy head
And forgive us our spillage
As we forgive those who spill against us
And lead us not into incarceration
But deliver us from hangovers
For thine is the beer, the bitter, and the lager
Barmen Cool

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:16 pm
Hi Butterfly & Lezzles

Sunday Paper just been delivered and guess what? You ladies were both right, "afforded" was given as the answer for "conferred upon", how about that! One to put in the black book.

Thank you both again for your great contribution, just proves how valuable membership of a2k is, a great place to solve those tricky questions.

Have a nice day, talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies