If life after death is proven real would you commit suicide?

fresco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:48 pm
Just examining the "logic" of this two points come to mind.

1. "Life after death" implies "death" loses part of its status as a "limit to experience". Hence in "cosmic time" it is not clear whether suicide or even homicide deprives the "victim" of anything.

2. Those who do believe in "eternal life" often go through the psychological motions of mental suicide of the "old self" in order to be "born again".
0 Replies

hugefan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:44 pm
If by commiting suicide is assumed that we have sinned, then i wouldnt want to think that i will come back in another life punished for what i have done in my past one, and therefore be tortured.
I would prefer staying in this one until the end, trying to be the best that i can, so i can reach a higher level in the next one, and be one step closer to total spiritual fulfilment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:05 pm
You go first. c.i.
0 Replies

Trailblazer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:06 am
You will probably get mostly No's to suicide here because people depressed enough to do that are likely to be too depressed to actively particpate in a thread.

Whatever Death is, we'll all get there sooner or later--even without trying--so what's the rush? Sit back, hold tight and enjoy the journey.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
Definately no, i enjoy my life too much, besides I would love to live 40 years. Anyway, death is a sure deal.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:04 am
Well, I believe that after-death life exists, but I take into consideration that sinners get to the hell, Paradise is not the only option. And suicide is a sin, at least for Christians.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:23 am
steissd wrote:
And suicide is a sin, at least for Christians.

Might be for some, but not for all!

(Suicide was practiced as martyrdom by Christians during the Roman persecution. They would put themselves in situations where they knew they would be killed so they could die for the faith. Many of these believed martyrdom was a guarantee of entrance into heaven.

Augustine was the first theologian to declare a distinction between suicide and martyrdom. He said suicide is an act of murdering oneself, a decision in direct opposition to God's will. Suicide, along with adultery and apostasy, came to be seen as unredeemable. Thomas Aquinas later classified suicide as a mortal sin that cannot be forgiven. Because of this, the Roman Catholic Church for many years refused to conduct funerals for people who took their own lives. In the last ecades, the Catholic Church has modified this view, stating that suicide is no longer viewed as a reason to deny a Catholic funeral, unless it would cause a public scandal. It is seen now as an illness.
Protestant leaders Martin Luther and John Calvin did not declare suicide to be an unforgivable sin.)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:26 am
Suicide being a "sin", has to be the ultimate conceit!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:29 am
Mr. Hinteler, thanks for providing details. That is exactly what I meant, I did not confuse early Christian martyrs and young Werther. Since there are no reasons for Christian martyrdom nowadays (maybe, with exception of Iran where Christian missionaries get death penalty), suicide is a sin.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:02 pm
No, I wouldn't commit suicide but don't think it's always a sin. If someone bit off more than they could chew it's OK but that person must return (reincarnate) -- again, with same problems.

I agree with Fresco's "No. 2." It is possible to "kill" your old self, or allow it to die, in order to be reborn.

Humanity in general has lost all innocence. Most all people are stuck right there, stubbornly refusing to move. Rather than accept responsibility for what they say and do it's just lie, blame, make up stuff -- anything to control or get what they want.
0 Replies

HaggenFaus

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:06 pm
Nope. I still have a lot to do with my life, I still want to do a bunch of things before I die, even though life is nuts, its still cool.
0 Replies

Trailblazer

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:37 am
Hi Haggen, welcome to a2K. Reminds me of a line from the film "One, Two, Three" : "The situation is hopeless but not serious."
0 Replies

pyko

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:23 am
nup, if its paradise, then it can wait. Still don't know what good things my current life will give me (of course there will be bad things, but why not experience more before you go to paradise...maybe that will make paradise even better Razz)

life, is something i see as important, if you can fully experience this one, and then go to paradise...why not?...why cut it short? just like, id rather eat both chocolate blocks (finish first one) and then go to the second one, which is guaranteed to be better, would never throw away the first one, afterall, its still chocolate Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:01 am
I don't approve of suicide. I wouldn't do it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
NH;
suicide doesn't seek "approval".

One aspect of this fallacious trip down "what if " lane, that I don't think has been mentioned, is the attitudenal shift that certain knowledge of "afterness" would have on one's approach to this life.
I think "edge" activities would skyrocket with the "nothing to lose" ticket firmly grasped in one's fist.
Life is at its most intense, when it might at any time be snatched away; and some might just want to ride that wave, for as long as it lasts!
But, then the "edge" would be gone, wouldn't it?
In other words this becomes another case where knowledge of the future might just take all the flavour out of today's gourmet potential.
0 Replies

HaggenFaus

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:26 am
Suicide is bad. If you beleive in an afterlife, and you commit suicide, you know that you'll go to hell. But what if when you commit suicide, your done. Like there is no afterlife like theres nothingness and you no longer exist. so dont take a chance at suicide.
0 Replies