Renewing License Plate Tabs - MI

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:45 am
So, I've been married now for over 2 years and haven't lived at the address listed on the front of my license for 2 years. I had them change my license to reflect my new name and just recently, got a sticker for address change on my license plate. It's showing up as the old address on my registration and now I have to go back in to the secretary of state to renew my license.

My question is: Shouldn't that have updated? I know the name can't be changed unless I bring in the title of the car and since I don't own the car and the finance company has the title, getting it is a pain in the ass and costs money, they told me that it wasn't a big deal. However, what about the address? Would it be that bad (or illegal) if I left the old address on the registration so long as my license has a current address?

I am pissed about having to go in again this year for the third time in a row, to renew. It's a pain in the ass of monstrous proportions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:27 am
What's the wrong address on? I'm trying to follow this. If it's your driver's license, surely the DMV should take a variety of proofs of address. Call and ask. As for the location of the car/title, they probably will not change that without the title simply because where the car is garaged has a lot to do with insurance rates. Actually, question: where does your insurance company say the car is located?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:44 am
No, it's on my license plate registration. The DMV has the right driver's license address. The insurance company has the right address. It's just this freakin' registration.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:49 am
Wacky, can you bring in an insurance bill (or, better yet, your policy) as proof of address? The thing with the DMV is, they don't think outside the box because they are absolutely not paid to think outside the box. They're paid to think in the box, so that, well, they don't have to think too much.

Hence, e. g. when I was first getting my driver's license, proof of birth was a birth certificate or a baptismal certificate -- never mind that that discriminates against people who aren't in baptizing religions. Hmm, I wonder if that's changed.

Anyway, what alternatives does the DMV allow? If they only allow the one, you might have to bite the bullet and just get a copy of the title, but I hardly think you're the only person driving a car owned by a finance company. Perhaps there's some sort of a policy in place for such situations.
0 Replies