Rumsfeld says he did not 'advocate' invading Iraq

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
Rumsfeld is either a world-class liar, has a selective memory, or is suffering from Alzhimer disease. He was advocating invading Iraq before the 9/11 attack. He's now playing with words that he was not consulted when the final decision was made by Bush. How could he make such a stupid statement when there is lots of documentation. ---BBB

Rumsfeld says he did not 'advocate' invading Iraq
20/11/2005 16h48
By William West
WASHINGTON (AFP)

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has asserted that he did not press for the US-led invasion of Iraq, as public disaffection for the US military operation there reaches new highs.

"I didn't advocate invasion," Rumsfeld told ABC television Sunday, when asked if he would have advocated an invasion of Iraq if he had known that no weapons of mass destruction would be found there.

The US Defense chief added: "I wasn't asked," when asked whether he supported the March 2003 invasion.

Asked on ABC television's "This Week" program if he was trying to distance himself after the fact from the controversial US decision to invade Iraq, Rumsfeld replied: "Of course not. Of course not. I completely agreed with the decision to go to war and said that a hundred times. Don't even suggest that."

But Rumsfeld's insistence that he had not advocated an invasion of Iraq appears to contradict several media reports, and at least one book by a former White House couter-terrorism chief.

CBS News has reported, citing notes by Pentagon officials, that Rumsfeld told his aides to come up with plans for striking Iraq hours after the September 11, 2001 attacks on Washington and New York.

The notes, cited by CBS, quote Rumsfeld as saying he wanted "best info fast. Judge whether good enough to hit S.H. (Saddam Hussein)".

Former White House terrorism czar, Richard Clarke, said in his book "Against all Enemies" that days after the September 11 attacks, Rumsfeld was pushing for retaliatory strikes on Iraq, despite questions over Iraq's links to Al-Qaeda.

Clarke suggests the idea took him so aback, he initally thought Rumsfeld was joking.

"Rumsfeld was saying that we needed to bomb Iraq," Clarke has said in describing White House deliberations after the September 11 attacks.

In speeches prior to the 2003 invasion, Rumsfeld had said Iraq was a danger that could not be ignored and that diplomacy and sanctions had been unsuccessful against Saddam Hussein's regime.

"Iraq poses a threat to the security of our people," Rumsfeld said in a January 2003 speech, adding "in the case of Iraq we are nearing the end of the long road, and with every other option exhausted."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 452 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:10 am
Hey give the guy a break. Maybe he really DIDN'T know there were no WMD's there! Maybe he thought Iraq was going to attack the US, take over our country and make us all Muslims! Maybe he's just a fricking moron! Didja ever think of THAT?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:34 am
He likes to be remembered as a "brilliant" guy and the invasion would make him look stupid in league with you know who. Got to think history and my place in the Hall of Fame - shucks he missed it and made it into the Hall of Shame.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
What udder bullshit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
If one takes the testimony of the September 11th commission as accurate, in fact, when the members of the administration met at Camp David, Wolfowitz immediately proposed an attack on Iraq, suggesting that the Iraqis were behind the attacks. The report of the commission has testimony to the effect that Rumsfeld and Rice discounted the idea, and opposed the plan, moving on to other topics.

In short, in the single circumstance of the administration's deliberations in the aftermath of September 11th, Rumsfeld's statment is accurate, according the evidence gathered by the commission.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
Aaaah...thankee...

ALMOST udder bullshit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
And there you are . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:02 pm
makes me wonder what Rumsfeld does as SOD, if he wasn't even consulted on invading Iraq--think up pithy phrases like shock & awe?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:28 pm
Probably VP Cheney was acting as SOD as he was in George I's Administration for Gulf War I.
0 Replies