shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:25 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:43 pm
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
If you are confused as to why racism "is such a big deal," that is an even sadder comment on your perceptive abilities.

Set, I did not ask you why racism is a big deal. I understand racism is a big deal. I asked you what is the big deal about thinking there are different races? The world has thought this since how long? When did this change?

Should I also report every Survey Company I do surveys for when asking for my race or ethnic heritage? These things are used in demographical studies.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:50 pm
race
n.
A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.

A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

A genealogical line; a lineage.

Humans considered as a group.

-----

Both definitions are present there. And honestly, what's next? If someone asks me my Gender is that sexicsm?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
MA using the term "race" may be a habit of many people, it is, however, wrong. There is only the human race. Any and all effords to defend it's usage is an abomination to all reasonable minds.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
There are two things in this world I hate.

Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures...

And the Dutch.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
Does anyone think Mexicans could ever rule the world?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Every government document which i have seen does not ask for race, but rather whether or not one qualifies as a minority or a woman. The issue is quite simple, "race" as a basis for distinguishing one human from another has never been anything but the product of tribal bigotry, and has never been operative to describe a meaningful differnce of perceptive or expressive difference between humans.

Yes, i do not doubt that someday being asked one's gender will be classified, at least technically as sexism. Job applications can no longer as for a person's age, so long as the individual asserts being over the age of eighteen. The sexism issue will hang around for a while, though as woman-owned businesses enjoy the same advantages in competition for government contracts as do minority-owned businesses.

Government stumbles all over itself when it attempts to deal with these things, though--i cannot ask your age on a job application, other than requiring your assurance that you are over eighteen years of age. However, Immigration and Naturalization requires that i complete Department of Justice form I-9, to demonstrate that you are either a United States citizen or a resident alien with a work permit. The requirements of the I-9 form are such that i would inevitably get from you and make a copy of a piece of identification which would reveal your age.

It certainly appears to me that neither MOAN nor Questioner "get it" when it comes to the phony issue of "race." The concept is a construct of tribal bigotry, raised to the dignity of pseudo-science in the nineteenth century. It should have been burned to oblivion in the ovens of the Nazi death camps--however, that sadly is not the case.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:59 pm
Amigo wrote:
Does anyone think Mexicans could ever rule the world?

Of course not, Mestizos perhaps.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
There has been a good deal of historical evidence that Mexicans have never displayed a flair for ruling Mexico, let alone the world . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
Setanta wrote:

It certainly appears to me that neither MOAN nor Questioner "get it" when it comes to the phony issue of "race." The concept is a construct of tribal bigotry, raised to the dignity of pseudo-science in the nineteenth century. It should have been burned to oblivion in the ovens of the Nazi death camps--however, that sadly is not the case.

You are incorrect. I do 'get it', and understand it. The issue is a rather serious one indeed, though in truth the main hangup with the word 'race' is in mankind's inability to refrain from making judgements about others based on insignificant data. Much like what happens daily in this forum.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:02 pm
Dammit, would that mean every car would be equipped with a ridiculously large rear spoiler and stupid exhaust can?

Bad Slappy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:02 pm
Ah, the aroma of self-righteousness . . . always de rigeur in religious threads . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
There has been a good deal of historical evidence that Mexicans have never displayed a flair for ruling Mexico, let alone the world . . .

Much like Italians with Italy. I don't think it's so much a matter of flair as it is of disinterest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:03 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Dammit, would that mean every car would be equipped with a ridiculously large rear spoiler and stupid exhaust can?

Bad Slappy.

You wouldn't object to a nice tuck and roll job, would you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:04 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Much like Italians with Italy. I don't think it's so much a matter of flair as it is of disinterest.

Well, i think the Italians are interested, just not in government . . .
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
You wouldn't object to a nice tuck and roll job, would you?

You mean like a burrito?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:09 pm
No, it's a reference to automotive upholstery . . . no one even comes close to the quality of the Mexicans . . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
Damn!!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ah, the aroma of self-righteousness . . . always de rigeur in religious threads . . .

Pot, meet kettle.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:13 pm
taco flavored kisses
0 Replies