Antarctica

corky

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 02:52 pm
C.I.,

I have read many of your posts - sounds like you are a frequent traveler!! And have been to many great places! I look forward to finding out more from you and others.

I have seen the Maro Polo from (from afar only). It seems like a nice ship, except for a couple things...

It only has an ice strengthened hull - it can push the chunky sea ice aside, but can't break through solid ice. An ice breaker can make it's own path in the solid ice. This is really what you need to get to those difficult places in the Arctic and Antarctic.

The other thing is that the Marco Polo has 500+ passengers. This means that they have to shuttle that many people to shore and back in the zodiacs. I think this means less time ashore (but I could be wrong), and more people there when you get ahore.

I am sure the Marco Polo has great accommodations though, and probably more amenities (food, activities, pool, sauna, etc.) than some of the ships I have been on. And the Marco Polo may have better stabilizers for rough seas.

It just depends on what you really want to do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:01 pm
I hate cold! LOL But, I'm looking forward to a trip to Antarctica, so please tell us of your experiences. c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:55 pm
Corky
Sounds great.

I guess my combination of hating cold and suffering severe seasickness in anything larger than a bathtub will probably deter me from making the trip - but vicarious travel is good, too (and cheaper!)

Keep the stories coming - although we do seem to have lost Dek, who started all this.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:25 pm
corky, When the Marco Polo goes to the Antarctic, they take only 50 percent of capacity of the ship. That's the reason the Antarctic cruise is one of the most expensive that the Marco Polo provides. It's true, the Marco Polo cannot break through ice. The hull is built for safety only, and does not travel through ice. c.i.
0 Replies

corky

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:14 am
Hi,

Here is a web page that contains a lot of our stuff from our Antarctica trip. Click on the last link in the list of four, that one is ours. I can't get the videos to work on my computer (it crashes it, but others seem to get it to work) but the other stuff seems to work for me. I like the sounds section, and the video clips are good too.

http://www.natureimages.org/

Enjoy.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 02:10 pm
Corky

Great photos! Love those penguins - my almost favourite critters!

I haven't had time to check out all the photos, the videos or sound yet....

The pictures alone should be enough to get c.i. out there in a flash! (only small pun! Confused )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:03 pm
corky, Been working on trying to download some of the links. c.i.
0 Replies