Antarctica

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 06:38 am
Well I'm planning a trip to Antarctica so I thought I would share the process with you.

I'm at the very early stages of things, doing the grunt work of researching the trip and getting costs together.

I don't yet even have a plan for when I'll be going, it might even take a few years!

This trip will probably be taken on my own as I don't currently have any like minded friends who want to go or can afford the trip (unfortunately I can't pay for anyone else Sad ) but I do hope to meet others interested in doing the same thing before and during the trip.

One fundamental of this trip is that I'd like to do as much of the research and preparation as is practically possible to make sure I get the very most out of the trip as I can do. I'd also like for it to still be an adventure.

It is possible to book a "package holiday" to the Antarctic and while this might be very appealing and easy I feel personally that it would take something away from the trip.

For me the Journey begins long before I get on the plane....

So my plan is as follows
1.Research Antarctica
a. Where to go
b. What to see
c.What to do
2.Plan a route to get to Antarctica (I may have to stop off on a lot of places on the way. This could be a long trip!)
a.Planes, trains, boats, buses
3.Create an Itinerary
4.Create an equipment list
5.Buy equipment
6.Make travel arrangements
7.Go to Antarctica!

Here's a few links that I've dug up so far containing plenty of information.

http://www.antarcticconnection.com/
Good info and Package Holidays to Antarctica! (I've not ruled out going this route as I suspect that it might end up being the most sensible solution, I don't however know what sights I want to see while I'm there so this might not give me what I want)

http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/earthasart/icefall.html
A Satellite picture of an Icefall on the Lambert Glacier in Antarctica

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/antarctica/antarctica/
Lonleyplanet info on Antarctica

http://www.infohub.com/
Some more package tours

If anyone is interested, has any info they want to share or any questions I'd be glad to hear from you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,659 • Replies: 46
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:08 am
I've got a friend who wants to do the same thing. I'll ask him about the process the next time I see him (about 2 weeks from now or so). I was under the impression that you can only go to Anarctica for research purposes but hmmm if there are tour packages then that's wrong.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:33 pm
Dek

Maybe you could get a job working there.

Two friends went as kitchen hands. They were living in NZ, and went with the American camp.

Another friend went as a doctor - she went with the Australian team. (and she was a doctor!)

Not sure of there's a UK camp, but, worth thinking about! Long tour though. At least 6 months.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:44 pm
Thanks Jespah, I do know that you can't stay on the base near the south pole unless you are part of the research team, maybe that's why you thought you couldn't go to Antarctica at all.

Margo, I have thought about offering to help with research while there, that might be a good way to get more involved in what's going on. It would also be good to give something back while there. I feel a bit bad about being a tourist in a place that could do without them! Maybe my professional specially could be of use, I don't know!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:43 pm
I'll be looking forward to reading about your findings as you go along. Sounds like an interesting trip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:49 pm
Dek, I've also looked into trips to Antarctica, but they're mostly by ship departing from and returning to Ushuaia, Argentina. I'm looking for group travel on this one because of my age and need for some security concerning my health. I was in Ushuaia last November when I took a 12 night cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, and went around Cape Horn. Some people did an optional flight, and paid $1,300, but they saw nothing, because it was overcast. No refunds. I've been to almost all the other continents on earth including the highest, the lowest, and the southernmost city in the world. I doctor I met on my Russia trip a few years ago wants to do the Antarctica trip too, but he's so far shown no interest. I must do it in the next couple years, or it's going to be out for me. I'm relatively healthy, but can't handle that much flying time to reach a destination. Look forward to seeing the progress you make, and hopefully to gain some knowledge about travel to Antarctica. c.i.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:41 am
c.i. : just saw your entry on antartica. it seems that you do not just want to cruise by or take an overflight, but actually set foot on antartica. there is a travel agency out of toronto that has arrangements with orient line; the ship used is the german built "marco polo" that sailed for the soviet union into murmansk, i believe. on these cruises they make landings by zodiac - no overnight stay in antartica terra. you can check it out under www.expo-cruises.com - we used expo cruises last year when we cruised through the baltic sea to st.petersburg(m.s. norwegian dream - not luxurious but quite acceptable). expo-cruises will adjust their travel arrangements to suit the individual - you wouldn't have to fly out of toronto! -. sent me a postcard from antartica when you get there! hbg.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:21 am
Found a couple more:

http://www.cheesemans.com/antarctica/

http://www.geoex.com/search.asp?continentID=6&strSearch=Antarctica
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:06 pm
soz, Thanks for those two links on Antarctica travel. I'm looking into both, and hope they will work out one way or another. c.i.
hbg, We cruised on the Marco Polo on the Aegean Sea when my brother and his wife joined us several years ago. The Philippino staff did a fantastic job, and I wouldn't mind another cruise with them. c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:10 pm
dek, c.i. anyone else who is interested,

A good friend spent two summers in Antarctica, doing research. (The AMANDA project.) I can ask him for any specifics, as he knows a LOT about the subject.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:39 pm
soz, My main interest would be "what not to miss?" The top six - or such number. c.i.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:06 pm
CI, there are loads of companies out there that can get you onto the ice, depending on how much cash you have you can go and do just about anything you want too....
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
sozobe, I'd be very interested in anything he has to say and as CI says, the what not to misses would be excellent to hear about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
OK, I'll ask him.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:16 pm
Well I'm trying all the angles to see what is possible with regards to a trip to Antarctica, I would certainly like this to be a trip of a lifetime and the more that I think about it the more I would actually like to give a little back within the ethos of what the researches are there for in the first place.

With that in mind I contacted the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) http://www.bas.ac.uk/ to see if I could volunteer for a few weeks work out there.

It wasn't easy going but I think I'm getting somewhere see the attached email thread at the bottom of this post (I'm Ryan Wink ).

They have an open day on the 30th so lets hope that Jeremy gets back to me at some point.

If I can't get anywhere with BAS I'll try some of the other researches that are there, failing that and it looks like I'll just have to do the "tourist" thing
DeK

-----------------------------------------------------

Again many thanks Denise, I appreciate your help.
Jeremy, if I can be of help please feel free to drop me an email or phone me to discuss. I'd be happy to come to the open evening if you can make use of me in anyway
Regards
Ryan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 15 April 2003 16:52
Cc: Jeremy Armitage
Subject: RE: short term work in Antarctica
Dear Ryan,
You may find the Open evening useful as there will be represenatatives from our IT section. As your request is unusual and quite specific, I have forwarded your mail onto our IT Department.
Denise
>>> < > 15-Apr-03 2:44:00 pm >>>
Denise,
Very sorry to keep bothering you but you will forgive me if I
try every possibility before giving up on the idea.
I'm a little unsure if I'm being clear enough. I am well aware of the
costs involved to get to Antarctica and am able to fund the trip and
stay there myself regardless of the ability to find voluntary work.
My plan is to fly out to Ushuaia via Buenos Aires from where I can get
passage on a ship to the North West of Antarctica. This should enable me
to then travel to one of your nearby research locations, Rothera, Fosil
Bluff or Sky-blu (again funded by myself).
I could simply book a "package holiday" to go to Antarctica but I'm
struggling with doing that on ethical grounds. I would like to do my bit
and still get chance to visit such a remarkable place.
If you can help in anyway or offer and advice I would be very grateful
Kind regards
Ryan

Sent: 15 April 2003 13:43
Subject: RE: short term work in Antarctica
Dear Ryan,
I'm afraid no such thing is available because we transport around 200
people to Antarctica each season to undertake the science there. This is
costly and the journey to Antarctica takes between 3 days and 3 weeks,
depending on what part of the antarctica you are going to. The areas in
Antarctica where we work are can only be accessed by BAS aircraft or
ships.
Thank you for the interest that you have shown.
Denise Chapman
>>> < > 15-Apr-03 1:35:16 pm >>>
Thank you for the quick response, would there be any scope in short term
unpaid work, if I made my own travel arrangements?
If not do you think it is possible that any other research teams might
consider something similar?
Many thanks
Ryan

Sent: 15 April 2003 13:33
Subject: Re: short term work in Antarctica
Dear Ryan
Thank you for your enquiry.
Unfortunately we do not offer short term placements of the type that you
are requiring.
Denise Chapman

>>> < > 15-Apr-03 12:21:41 pm >>>
I'm interested in working in the Antarctic and wondered if there would
be
any scope in a short term piece of work for BAS. I would have to fit any
trip to Antarctica into my current jobs annual leave which would limit
any
trip to around a month.

My personal expertise is as an IT systems solution designer but in
particular Network solution design. I have IT skills right from low
level
hands on configuration

* Troubleshooting of PC systems & servers (including NT, 2000, XP
and
some Novell)
* Low level router configuration
* High level complex system solution design

I can work as anything from IT tech support to WAN solution design if
required. I'm a great team player and have excellent interpersonal
skills.

I am currently a senior designer working for BT developing the UK's
Broadband Network, but I would be willing to work in any field while in
Antarctica, field assistant, cook, technician, comms, cleaner. I would
be
willing to do any work that would give me experience of the Antarctic
environment.

I have included a brief summary of my CV (full version available on
request)
and the latest customer feedback from BT's design authority for the UK's
broadband network (more references available on request).

If you think it is appropriate I would like to come to the open day on
the
30th April to discuss potential opportunities further.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
Ryan

0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:18 pm
sozobe, any comments he has on trying to get into research locations or general comments anyway would be very helpful.

thanks for your help
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:19 pm
Interesting! That's great that you're just going for it.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:19 pm
I'm big on going to unique places for the bragging rights. I would LOVE to visit Antarctica.

I think most tour landings are either on the Palmer Peninsula or at Little America on the edge of the Ross Ice shelf.

I have heard that sometimes tourists can visit the original wooden huts of the first expedition to Little America (Peary?) in the early 20th century and that some of their gear is still there.

I would want to see the South Pole, even if it's just a quick stop, just to be there. (I heard that an ATM machine has been installed at South Pole station- is nothing sacred?)

There is also an ice-free valley, where mummified remains of ancient mammals (!) can be seen, from a time when the continent was temperate.

I would also want to see icebergs calving, penguins, and experience for myself boiling water freezing in midair when you throw it from your coffee mug.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
oh yes, I initially saw an advert in a copy of New Scientist for a data manager for BAS, I've considered dumping my job to take up any position that I can get but I really can't handle such a big drop in salary, sadly they don't seem to pay all that well Sad
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:27 pm
Thanks Sozobe, I think you just have to make a go of stuff like this or it will remain indefinite pub talk Wink

I have similar ideas for trips in the rainforest and to archeological sites (the first being Aztec, Inca or Mayan). I like the idea of giving a little back in everything I do. It's also a good idea to do the trip with someone who really knows what's going on.

DeK
0 Replies