The U.S. has a "pro-torture" V.P.?

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:00 pm
According to Human Rights Watch, "the Bush administration is now the only government in the world to claim a legal justification for mistreating prisoners during interrogations."

Quote:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.3/ceiling/logo.cnn.com.gif

Ex-CIA chief: Cheney 'VP for torture'

Friday, November 18, 2005; Posted: 10:03 a.m. EST (15:03 GMT)

LONDON, England -- Former CIA director Stansfield Turner has labeled Dick Cheney a "vice president for torture."

In an interview with Britain's ITV news Thursday, Turner said the U.S. vice president was damaging America's reputation by overseeing torture policies of possible terrorist suspects, the UK's Press Association reported.

"I'm embarrassed the United States has a vice president for torture," Turner said, according to ITV's Web site. "He condones torture, what else is he?"

Turner said he did not believe U.S. President George W. Bush's statements that the United States does not use torture.

Turner ran the Central Intelligence Agency from 1977 to 1981 under former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

"We have crossed the line into dangerous territory," PA quoted Turner as saying. "I think it is just reprehensible."

Referring to Cheney, Turner said: "I just don't understand how a man in that position can take such a stance."

In Washington, Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, is leading a campaign to ban cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody. (Full story)

The administration says the legislation could tie the president's hands, and Cheney has pressed lawmakers to exempt the CIA, according to The Associated Press.

While international law and treaty obligations forbid torture and inhumane treatment, classified memos have given the government ways to extract intelligence from detainees "consistent with the law," administration officials say.

Friday, November 18, 2005; Posted: 10:03 a.m. EST (15:03 GMT)

LONDON, England -- Former CIA director Stansfield Turner has labeled Dick Cheney a "vice president for torture."

In an interview with Britain's ITV news Thursday, Turner said the U.S. vice president was damaging America's reputation by overseeing torture policies of possible terrorist suspects, the UK's Press Association reported.

"I'm embarrassed the United States has a vice president for torture," Turner said, according to ITV's Web site. "He condones torture, what else is he?"

Turner said he did not believe U.S. President George W. Bush's statements that the United States does not use torture.

Turner ran the Central Intelligence Agency from 1977 to 1981 under former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

"We have crossed the line into dangerous territory," PA quoted Turner as saying. "I think it is just reprehensible."

Referring to Cheney, Turner said: "I just don't understand how a man in that position can take such a stance."

In Washington, Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, is leading a campaign to ban cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody. (Full story)

The administration says the legislation could tie the president's hands, and Cheney has pressed lawmakers to exempt the CIA, according to The Associated Press.

While international law and treaty obligations forbid torture and inhumane treatment, classified memos have given the government ways to extract intelligence from detainees "consistent with the law," administration officials say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 385 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Stevepax

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
What a shocker Shocked
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:15 pm
Being an executive of a company in the oil industry for so many years does things to you.
0 Replies