C-SPAN braodcasting Kerry's blast re smear of John Murtha

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:38 am
C-SPAN 2 is broadcasting John Kerry's WOW blast at the Bush administrations smear attempt against Congressman John Murtha.

If his transcript is available, I will post it.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:46 am
I see...he seems bitter...

he seems nervous...

he seems to be stuck on 'chose not to'

hey he's not looking at the people in the room...

Hey who was that who ran across the background...

Now he's harping on 'cut and run'

His jacket isn't setting well on his shoulders.

Oh that was hysterical

John Kerry: "We can disagree but must not attack each other." This coming from a rather bitter loser.

Now it's John Kyl of Arizona (a Republican)...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
Does Kerry still waffle on every issue? I stopped paying attention to him after he disgraced himself during the presedential elections. At least Edwards had the balls to stand behind his convictions.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
He has the Gore Syndrome.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
You guys crack me up.

Since I don't check the right wing blogs, maybe one of you can help with this question:

Has the swift-boating begun vs. John Murtha? I bet someone is digging...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
Hmmmm... I don't follow them either so I wouldn't know. I am sure murtha has a reason for saying what he is saying. I simply disagree with him as I feel our presence in the Middle East is neccessary to stabilize the region and to ensure the further move towards democracy throughout the region.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
The only thing I'll say about Murtha is he has a (D) by his name and so does the bandwagon he just jumped on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:51 pm
Murtha was my congressman. He is much-loved by his constituents mostly for his ability to bring pork to an area that badly needs revitalizing. If he's stepping out on this then something is afoot.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Since I don't check the right wing blogs, maybe one of you can help with this question:

Has the swift-boating begun vs. John Murtha? I bet someone is digging...

of course it has, today a republican congressmen has called for an investigation of potential ethics violations by Murtha because his brother is a lobbyist
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:13 pm
Nobody impugned Murtha's integrity. The Democrats create false accusations and all pretend as if their true--seeing how many idiots will go along for the ride.

If Bush isn't above criticism, neither is Murtha.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:17 pm
As an aside, has anyone read Edward Luttwak's Logic of Disengagement in October's Harper's? I can't link it as it is originally from Foreign Affairs and involves money to get a reprint..
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:56 pm
Lash wrote:
Nobody impugned Murtha's integrity. The Democrats create false accusations and all pretend as if their true--seeing how many idiots will go along for the ride.

If Bush isn't above criticism, neither is Murtha.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/18/18227/828
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Quote:

The GOP has NO SHAME at all.

Calling a 37 year Marine a coward is shameless to the highest extent and to do so on the floor of the a legislative body in the US shows complete disrespect for this country and for those that have served.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:17 pm
How about a compromise? Pull the troops out but let the brave GWB and Republicans take the place of the troops in Iraq. There is no obligation for them to leave. Those brave Republicans can stay as long as they want in Iraq.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:09 am
The Republican party--Cheney and Bush were cited--have not impugned Murtha's integrity.

A blog?

A marine colonel??

Desperate times call for more desperate measures.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:12 am
The Democrats are a laughing stock!!!!

All their bellicose bloviating about bringing the troops home.... a nutjob and two no-names voted for it.

LOL!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:14 am
It's not so simple as that. That measure was introduced by Republicans.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-11-19T050606Z_01_SCH876005_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-USA.xml

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a maneuver to strike at Iraq war critics, the Republican-led House of Representatives engineered a vote on Friday on a resolution to pull U.S. troops immediately from Iraq, which was defeated nearly unanimously.

Republicans, who introduced the surprise resolution hours before lawmakers were to start a Thanksgiving holiday recess, said the vote was intended to show support for U.S. forces.

Democrats denounced it as a political stunt and an attack on Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, a leading Democratic military hawk who stunned his colleagues on Thursday by calling for troops to be withdrawn from Iraq as quickly as possible.

The action by House Republicans was the latest volley in an offensive launched by President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney last week to attack war critics as unpatriotic and hypocritical.

"The best strategy to keep America safe is to continue taking the fight to the terrorists, not to retreat in the face of the despicable attacks of a determined enemy," the White House said in a statement.

Unlike Murtha's proposal calling for troops to be withdrawn "as soon as practicable," which he expected would be about six months, the Republican resolution said deployment of the U.S. forces should be "terminated immediately."

Democrats said no one advocated an immediate pull-out without ensuring the safety of troops, and that it was a meaningless resolution that ducked serious debate on the situation in Iraq. It was defeated 403-3.

"To take this proposal and trash it, trivialize it, is outrageous," said Rep. John Spratt, a South Carolina Democrat.

Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California said Republicans had "stooped to a new low even for them."

Many Democrats have called on Bush to present a plan to end the war and an estimate of when U.S. forces can start to be withdrawn based on conditions on the ground. Only a few have called for a set timetable for withdrawal.

During the emotional, raucous debate, Ohio Republican Rep. Jean Schmidt read a letter from an Ohio state representative who she said asked her to send Congress and Murtha "a message that cowards cut and run, Marines never do." Continued ...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
Lash wrote:
Desperate times call for more desperate measures.

The only desperation I'm sniffing right down comes from Republican quarters. Mr. Scanlan, DeLay's former aide, is copping a plea next week. This is gonna be good!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
Realize this is a tangent, but it's a followup to my by the way of several posts earlier.

I accessed the article I find interesting, or a version of it. The original is in Foreign Affairs in Jan/Feb 2005 (costs $5.+ to read), I gather, and an adaptation is in October's Harper's readings; it was also in the NYTimes in Feb. Why I should be able to read the NYT article at this point I'm not sure, as one usually has to pay a bit for an old one, even as an email subscriber. (I bet I saved it at the time, and didn't actually read it.)

I like the article as a situational overview. (Surely I am no expert.)

http://www.nytimes.com/cfr/international/20050101faessay_v84n1_luttwak.html?pagewanted=1
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
McGentrix wrote:
Hmmmm... I don't follow them either so I wouldn't know. I am sure murtha has a reason for saying what he is saying. I simply disagree with him as I feel our presence in the Middle East is neccessary to stabilize the region and to ensure the further move towards democracy throughout the region.

The Middle East is being stabilized? It looks like the opposite to me. Looks more to me like Osama and George are in partnership to DEstabilize the Mideast.
0 Replies