Three Truths and a Lie.

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
nimh wrote:
ok, here goes - <grins> - i hadnt done this one yet:

- I got a bloody ass from driving across the desert in the back of a pick-up truck
"

How do you get a bloody ass??? err when you say arse you mean hole?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:12 pm
husker wrote:

LOL! No-ooo!
Just a big bleeding scrape on me bottom, hello.
(Now why did I bring that part up? <grins>)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:15 pm
nimh wrote:
husker wrote:

LOL! No-ooo!
Just a big bleeding scrape on me bottom, hello.
(Now why did I bring that part up? <grins>)

I might have said I had a honking bad abrasion on my arse, bleeding all-over. A bloody arse from????????? Laughing TMI (To Much Information) Surprised
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
I got the scrape/ chafed thing from what nimh said. Just for the record. Shocked
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
I got the scrape/ chafed thing from what nimh said. Just for the record. Shocked

I guess I been reading my colonoscopy thread to much Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 03:53 pm
What's an "abrasion"? Never even heard of the word. Yeh - cant use the proper words if I dont know 'em - foreigner here, hello!

:-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:03 pm
abrasion = scrape. Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:36 pm
I asked the moderators to split off the more personal of my posts above into a thread of their own (and I took a few of youse along with 'em, Soz and Rae, hope ya dont mind <g>) - mostly because I really felt they weren't in their proper place on this here creative, fun game thread!

They split off two posts too many though, alas, so now I'm moving those two back here again by hand ...

always was a mess at archiving Very Happy

nimh wrote:
Oh I forgot, I hadnt finished. Had to rush off - [..] - but have long since come back. So, the lie:

"- I spent a night in a convent, a castle, a truck's cargo space and a lighthouse"

I did spend a night in a convent, in some small Slovak town [Spisske Podhradie] with a beautiful castle-ruin but without, as Stasia and I were to find out, any hotel. There was a cheap workers' hostel but they didnt have place. So we trekked around town in the evening for an hour or two before we knocked on the doors of the big monastery/convent/church settlement there - as if this were some 19th century novel. But sure enough, thank their good Christian heart, they put us up for the night, in the convent. Very stern, those rooms, I must admit. But the nuns sounded very cheerful, singing early in the morning ... :-)

Twice I took my gf to stay in a castle for her birthday (different gf's, mind you). There was this fairy-tale castle in the east of Holland, in the winter, with a walk in the snow-covered forest the next morning. (Cost me a rib outa my body though, I must admit.) And two years ago I took Staz to stay over at the Esterhazy Palace in Hungary. Now thats a true recommendation! Its far out in a village in the West, but its the most amazing castle. They call it the Hungarian Versailles, with good reason. Very run-down, though - it was used as stables and the like in Communist times. They've been restoring for years now.

The "hotel" rooms are in the left wing, and are surprisingly under-capitalized, lets say. That is, the rooms are comfortable enough but the place otherwise has all the trappings of a youth hostel; they are dirt cheap, sthing like $7 a night; and the tip is therefore to reserve way in advance, but: no-one in the place speaks anything but Hungarian. Somebody who picks up the phone in the museum speaks German, but he can't do any bookings. Cost me a lot of phonecalls and refreshing what I'd once known of Hungarian to get it arranged! But, you are welcomed warmly (if incomprehensibly), and you have a view of the famed, beautiful gardens, and yeh, the castle ... amazing. I'll post a picture later.

(Its all the more special if you read up about it; the Esterhazy's were the nouveaux riches of the Hungarian nobility, and eager to outdo everyone else; and so they did. Their castle was at first ridiculed, being out in the swamps where no-one came; but soon, famous composers played to an array of guests in soon-to-be legendary parties that made the palace rival Vienna's own royal residencies. It's funny because the next night we moved on to the erstwhile Szechenyi residency, and the two represent day and night in Hungarian history: Szechenyi the stern, rational, sobre patron of railways and waterworks, Eszterhazy the light-mooded, easy-spending patron of composers and poets).

Truck cargo space was when I was hitchhiking to Germany to meet up with a holiday love, some 10 years ago ... she'd told me the ride would be no more than 8 or 10 hours, so out I went in the morning, and quickly got stuck near the Dutch-German border. By the time I got to Berlin, on 2/3rds of the way, it was night. The trucker who gave me my last ride parked his truck underneath a bridge, uncoupled the front part, in which he drove away, from the cargo space, inside which he let me sleep the night ...

But the lighthouse - I didnt make that one. It was going to be another present to my then-gf, the year after the castle, for our anniversary - some three/four years ago. Somewhere in the north here someone bought a lighthouse and turned it into a one-room hotel. It sounded really cool, but we split up before we got to go there.

OK, thanks guys, this was fun, telling stories - I hope any of you who might have had the time to read them, enjoyed them, at all ... <smiles>

Here's the Eszterhazy palace:

http://www.heritagesites.eu.com/hungary/images/esterha.jpg
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:08 am
Oh! Roberta, I am curious. I don't think political office at 21 would be a surprise in your case. (Doesn't necessarily mean 'governmental' political office... )

TELL!! Very Happy

Wenchilina-- C'Mon... Very Happy I must know if you streaked. That takes noive! Nekkid, in front of drunken masses... Laughing I guess the up-side is they wouldn't be a very critical group. Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:49 am
Okay, Sofia. I'm spilling.

1. My most recent celebrity encounter was with Lauren Bacall. True. I have a chronic throat problem. My ENT doc is a the doctor to the stars. I've had a few encounters with celebs in her office. The most recent was Lauren Bacall. She brought her dog with her--a cute papillon. I asked the doctor if I could bring my cat along on my next visit. She just laughed.

2. I've been on the TV news three times. False. I've been on the news only once. I had been traveling almost nonstop for business. I was exhausted. At the end of about a month I attended a convention in Washington. I saw my boss there and told her that I would be back in the office on Monday--that I was going to stay over and make some school visits. (Everyone else was returning to the office on Friday.) Although I intended to make the visits, I was too tired, so I just went home. On my way out of the airport, I encountered some bright lights and a lot of yelling. I'm a New Yorker. I ignored it all. Turns out there was a price war between airlines. The lights were TV cameras. My early return was shown on the national news. I didn't know I had appeared on the news until my boss told me she saw me when I showed up for work on Monday.
3. I was elected to political office when I was 21 years old. True. This doesn't suprise you, Sofia? It surprised me. I was very active in politics during the sixties. (Who wasn't?) My party needed candidates to fill out some slates for the county committee. I agreed to have my name listed on the ballot in my home district. I won. It wasn't public office. It was political office. I attended a few county committee meetings. Almost turned me off politics completely.

4. My cousin Robert was one of the designers of the lunar landing module. True. My first job out of college was as an editorial trainee at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. I picked up an article to edit and saw my own name minus an A staring at me from the page. I had never heard of this person, but I knew it couldn't be a coincidence. My last name is very unusual. I called the guy. He was my first cousin. He remembered me, but I was too young to remember him. He was using his middle name. I knew him by his first name. He and his sister had become estranged from the rest of the family. I engineered a reunion. He was one of my favorite cousins. It was at our first meeting that he told me about his involvement in the LEM and that he had been in Houston for the lunar landing. A smart guy.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:05 am
Roberta-- Very interesting! One reason I wasn't so surprised at your early political success is because of your extreme literary success. After hearing about examples of what you've been up to elsewhere on A2K, and (I think) previously mentioned stories of acheivement in high school, early activism and election didn't seem like that much of a stretch for you.

My comment was a vote of confidence. Cool
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:37 pm
Sofia querida, Are you sure you mean me? Yes, I've had books published, but literary? Not even close. My only achievements in high school were that I managed to graduate and that I won a public speaking award. As for what I've been up to on a2k, I can't decide whether to say duh or huh.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:44 pm
Hmm...I'll play along....

1. I won a Judo competition as a lad
2. I have a collection of stuffed animals
3. I am an expert sailor
4. I ran for school president and was nearly expelled for my inflammatory posters
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:04 pm
Hmmm, Cav. I'm torn between 2 and 3. I'll say 2 is the lie.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:26 pm
Cav--
#3?

Have no trouble buying #4 or #2 for some reason.

Roberta-- Its funny the way maybe some of us gather information about others, and reach some conclusion.... I may have you mixed up with someone--but I thought you were valedictorian or saludatorian or earned some similar distinction in high school or college. Not that this would sew up an early political office--just an indicator. Actually, you may have said you were involved in politics... We haven't met up more than four or five times. Now, I'm so curious, I'll go back and see what may have led me to assume a political office.

Just another small interesting tidbit for me.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:34 pm
Sofia wrote:
Wenchilina--#1 is your fib.

Nope. Did research work using the Godolphin outfit track horses in Duabi for almost a year. The Prince invited myself along with my research associates to a dinner prior to our departure. Smile

And the streaking didn't take much nerve hah - more mucho tequilla and temporary loss of cognitive reasoning skills Embarrassed
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:07 pm
punk'd by wenchilina!Arp!

OK, the tapirs for a period less than six months...?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:22 am
Sofia, This may the thread that has the info you're thinking of. See pages 3 and 4.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=41df9eb932a5dd61f0bdbee554589637
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:10 am
Cav, I'm also guessing #3
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:12 am
Roberta, interesting stories!
0 Replies