Scientists Confirm the Signs of God

jstark

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:13 pm
neologist wrote:
BTW, Where is Hanna?

I thought I read a post from her that she was "sick of all of you" and was "never coming back to these boards". However, I can't seem to find it. I doubt I hallucinated it though.

-J
0 Replies

non-denom christian

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:44 pm
As a Christian with Christian beliefs, I read the Bible on a daily basis. I take offense to people who continually argue that I think I'm correct and everyone else is wrong.
Not only do I study the Bible but I have the internet which opens many other means by which I study. I have read the Islam book "The Cow", I have read Jewish teachings etc. I also read Hanna's intro, to this thread which by the way, uses references to the books where she got her info.

All I can say to you who do not believe is that I am sorry for you.
Jesus was a real person who lived on this very planet. He was crusified, burried and rose from the dead. This is real history, not something some love starved human made up to make himself look good. Moses was a real person and a hero to the Jews and all saved Gentiles.

Alexander the Great lived before Christ was born and I bet you all believe in him.
Egypt was a thriving place durring the time of Moses and Egyptian relics show pictures of men with magical powers. If you were alive at that time and saw the thing the Egyptians saw, and you were not a beliver in God, you would have expressed yourself in the same way.
Religious wars have been a part of humanity sice the beginning of time for a reason. Our calendars were based on God's 7 days, even though much of the original calendar has been erased. Many of our English words have a Biblical history.
Isreal does belong to the Jews and God will keep it that way because he promised to. Study the "6 day war of 1967.
Jewish people have a history and a meaningful one at that, that the average person does not.
If I told you my Great Grandfather was Al Capone, would you believe it? It is not documented.
If a Jew told you he was a decendant of Moses, would you believe him? It IS documented.
All I can suggest is before you go saying things like, "Religious people think they know it all", read the Bible, study history and look at current events today. It all fits together, and if you are truley searching for the truth, you will find it.
I was blessed not to have had religion shoved down my throat as a child. I am blessed to have known many very sincere and kind people who are Christians, and likewise I have been blessed to have had relationships with people who are just the opposite, who do not believe in God.

All my experiences and my faith especially, give me more reason to keep on trying to do what is right in God's eyes.

I wish I could explain it but it is something one has to experience.
Hope I haven't offended anyone, just defending my Lord.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
non-denon Christian,

As always, I love your posts. Straight to the point and so heartfelt with no apologies for your beliefs. I applaud you my friend in Christ. I am learning much from you and hope to continually do so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:44 pm
Ah.

On smart arguing, I used to follow - not in the original, but long quotes from - different theologians back when the National Catholic Reporter was humming in the early sixties -
Hans Kung and those guys.... heh, like Ratzinger.
Not that I could repeat what they said, not then and much less now.

I have some respect for people having different opinions, to the extent they aren't involved some tangential selfaggrandizing moneymaking schema - but most here aren't, most are trying to say what they think, though of course there are those who cut and paste what someone else thinks.

So usually I respect the person if not the person's arguments, beliefs, or the person's god. I don't agree that 'isn't on', goodfielder - I don't have to be nice and be respectful of your Turtle God. I do try to respect the genuineness of someone's worked out beliefs to date.

But mocking your turtle god tends to be distracting..

The thing about slamming other folks' gods or lack of gods is that the slamming isn't 'not on', but that it isn't usually immediately useful except to make the believer, or non-believer as the case may be, more stalwartly defensive and less inclined to discuss fine points, and less able to imagine thinking the way the other person does.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:31 pm
Did I miss something? Turtle God?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
I don't know if you missed something or not, Momma.

For those of us who consider gods of all kinds contrivances of the mind of man, and I suppose once in a while back when the odd woman, they can be the gods we usually hear about all the livelong day, or others. I didn't mean to make fun of people who thought eagles were gods, if anyone did, or the sun was.... so I picked turtles, which I rather like.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:43 pm
n-d c wrote:
... Jesus was a real person who lived on this very planet. He was crusified, burried and rose from the dead. This is real history, not something some love starved human made up to make himself look good. Moses was a real person and a hero to the Jews and all saved Gentiles.

Apart from internal reference derived wholly and exclusively from the Abrahamic Mythopaeia itself, what evidence have you for these claims? To my knowledge, no independent, direct historical reference to anything you've mentioned there exists. I submit there is no forensically, academically, scientifically valid evidence for the existence either of the Biblical Jesus nor the Biblical Moses.

Leaving Moses for later discussion, let's examine the actual historicity of the Biblical Jesus. Those who've followed earlier discussions of mine pertaining to this particular point may experience a deja vu moment; indeed I previously have written just about exactly what follows. Feel free to ship over it if you've seen it before Laughing

Those arguing for the historicity of Jesus point frequently to Tacitus: Annals 15:44, which translates, " ... "derived their name and origin from Christ, who, in the reign of Tiberius, had suffered death by the sentence of the Procurator Pontius Pilate". More on Tacitus' reference in a bit, but first, there are a few other nearly contemporary references from other writers cited as historical proof, as well. Apologists for the Historicity of Jesus make much of the little on which they have to draw.

Frequently mentioned in similar vein to the Tacitus "proof" is Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum, from Antiquities of the Jews 18:63-64, which translates, " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Frequent mention also is made of Josephus, Antiquities 20:9.1, which translates " ... so he ("he" in the passage referring to one Ananus, eldest son of High Priest Ananus ... timber) assembled the Sanhedrin of judges, and brought before him the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others and when he had formed an accusation against them, he delivered them to be stoned."

Of the two Josephus references, the second, often termed the "Jamesian Passage" is accorded by historians somewhat more provenance than the first, or Testimonium Flavianum passage, which generally is accepted to be if not a whole later addition, at the very least a later-edited expansion by a 3rd Century transcriber of Christian agenda. However, neither passage is universally accepted as original, at least as currently known, to Josephus' Antiquities. There are questions arising both from contextual positioning - word usage and phrasing - and apparent internal contradictions arising from considering the passages with the overall Antiquities. It is known that Origen, a renowned 3rd Century Christian scholar and a key figure in the early evolution of Christianity, referenced the Testimonium Flavianum. It is known too that the style and word usage of the Testimonium Flavianum, while not particularly characteristic of Josephus' practice, is wholly consistent with Origen's style and usage.

Highlighted here in blue are the phrases which give scholars difficulty: " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Particularly of note is the "Messiah" reference; numerous times throughout Antiquities and his other writings, Josephus specifically and unambiguously bestows the title "Messiah" on his own patron, the Emperor Trajan. Perplexing as well is that Josephus wrote much more expansively of John The Baptist and of other zealots and cult figures among the Jews ... writings all devoid of any Jesus, Christ, or Christian reference. A last eyebrow raiser lies in the reverent tone with which Christ is described - not at all fitting either with Josephus' style or general contemporary sentiment.

None of that by itself is damning evidence, but neither is there unambiguous provenance. While it is entirely plausible Josephus wrote of Jesus, it cannot be proven that he did, and there is plentiful credible argument he did not.

Turning to Tacitus, the sole relevant passage in Annals does nothing more than confirm that at the time Tacitus was writing, there was a cult styled as "Christians", the members of which professed a belief that their self-purported central cult figure, "Christ", had died a martyr at the hands of Pilate, "Procurator of Judea" during the reign of Tiberius. That alone raises serious question as to any provenance derived thereby. While the Tacitus text suffers from none of the provenance difficulties afflicting the Josephus examples, in no way is it independent evidence of anything other than that a cult known as Christians had a tradition involving the death of their putative namesake. The key point of difficulty historians have with the oft-cited Tacitus passage is that he terms Pilate "Procurator", whereas the actual office held by Pilate was Prefect - a terminology distinction error very unlike, in fact otherwise unevidenced in, anything else ever written by Tacitus. It is, however, an error echoed in the Gospels, though nowhere else. Too, he refers to Jesus by the Graeco-Christian religious title "Christos", an honorific, as opposed to the almost universally observed contemporary Roman practice of referring to personages other than nobility or signal military accomplishment (which itself generally conveyed nobility) by given names further delineated by patronymics or regional identifiers; Abraham son of Judah, for instance, or Simon of Gaza. One must strongly consider the possibility Tacitus was working not from Roman records in this instance, but rather recounting what he had been told by or heard of Christians.

Other 1st Century writers, Suetonius, Thalus, and Pliny the Younger, also are thought by some to offer independent historical evidence of Jesus.

A passage from Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, specifically Claudius 5.25.4, translates, "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus (the contextual reference is to action taken in 49 CE by Claudius, then Emperor ... timber) expelled them from Rome." Several things stand out here. First, and perhaps least troubling, is that "Chrestus" actually is a common latinization of a known Greek proper name wholly unrelated to the messianic religious title "Christ", or "Christos". Second, there is no reference to "Christians", but rather those being discussed are given the appellation "Jews", and finally, the events described took place in 49 AD, disturbances instigated in Rome by one Chrestus, an individual apparently present both temporally and locationally regarding the disturbances - nearly 2 decades after the accepted date of Jesus' death. The only connection to Jesus or to Christians is the similarity of spelling between the name "Chrestus" and the title or honorific "Christos". Most interesting is that Pliny the Elder, writing much closer to the times in which the incidents reportedly took place, mentions Christians and/or Christ not at all.

With Thalus, we delve even deeper into ambiguity; no first person text survives, and the earliest reference to Thalus describing the crucifixion as having been accompanied by "earthquake and darkness", echoing Gospel accounts, is to be found in the 3rd Century writings of Julius Africanus, a Christian writer and leader. No contemporary record of any such occurrence in or near Judea/Palestine during the 1st Century exists ... a surprising circumstance had there been in fact unexplained mid-day darkness coincident with earthquake. That sorta thing tends to get noticed, and written about, big time. That it might have been left unremarked by any other than the Gospelers and possibly Thalus beggars the imagination.

Turning to Pliny the Younger, his voluminous correspondences with the Emperor Trajan bear frequent mention of Christians in Asia Minor, their beliefs and their practices in context of dissent against and resistance to Roman authority, and amount to discussions of how best to deal with the bother and disturbance fostered by the Christian cult. There is no mention whatsoever of Jesus, and the only reference to "Christ" is to be found in the term "Christians".

In short, history tells us nothing about the historicity of Jesus beyond that there was an offshoot cult of Judaism known as Christians, they had traditions, beliefs and practices, and that Roman Authority thought none too highly of them.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:49 pm
Timber,

More of man accepting man's word over God's word, in my opinion.

Osso,

Understood.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:51 pm
An addendum -

From the conclusion of a longish, well-researched essay[/i] written many years ago by one Marshal Gauvin:

Quote:
... The Jesus Christ of the Gospels could not possibly have been a real person. He is a combination of impossible elements. There may have lived in Palestine, nineteen centuries ago, a man whose name was Jesus, who went about doing good, who was followed by admiring associates, and who in the end met a violent death. But of this possible person, not a line was written when he lived, and of his life and character the world of to-day knows absolutely nothing. This Jesus, if he lived, was a man; and if he was a reformer, he was but one of many that have lived and died in every age of the world ...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:54 pm
Only proves that Timber is very good at googling
:-)

When faith is lacking, write volumes to instill confusion. It is interesting that non-believers write more about Christianity than Christians do. One of those things that make you go... hmmmmm
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:57 pm
Matthew 17:5 ~ While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!

When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. "Get up," he said. "Don't be afriad." When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

John 3:16 ~ For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
Your observation is well taken for some of us. We have been there.

I suspect many believers land at a2k and elsewhere thinking nonbelievers are wallowing in ignorance. The reason I suspect this is that is what I used to think.

Some posters are a little tired by now after years of this (no one - or few - ever seem to review old threads on this forum or any other, to everybody's loss all'round).

Some of the most knowledgeable people here about the bible or theology are among the non-believers.

Let me presume similar is true, that some have come to believe after years of not believing.

There is this general tendency to presume others are without breadth of knowledge... not only re religion but on other subjects.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Re the unicorn reference - given that only a virgin pure, a maiden chaste and of 18 Summers, may capture a unicorn, the apparent absence of unicorns well may be due to a factor unrelated to the existance of unicorns :wink:
Oh, so now you're saying I'm not a virgin pure and chaste. EH?

WELL! I! er.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
osso - no Turtle God. I have shifted my allegiance to Harriet the Galapagos Tortoise.

*No disrespect was meant to anyone in the preparation and transmission of this post. If anyone is offended consider this a misguided attempt at humour*
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:11 pm
I've read as many religious works as most a2kers. The more familiar with them I became, the more it helped me realize I was not missing a thing being an atheist. I have become very jaded and very tired confronting the religious continual assault on my right to reject their belief. There are some who do not try to force their religion into my life, and I have no quarrel with their right to believe, but the fact remains, religion as a whole does not tolerate easily the non believer. We have to fight with all our energy to keep any semblance of free thought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:15 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Re the unicorn reference - given that only a virgin pure, a maiden chaste and of 18 Summers, may capture a unicorn, the apparent absence of unicorns well may be due to a factor unrelated to the existance of unicorns :wink:

Somehow, i think it more likely that one would stumble across a unicorn than a virgin pure, a maiden chaste of 18 summers . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:16 pm
By the by, in The Once and Future King, although White is a very nasty racist in his portrayal of Kelts, there is, nonetheless, an hilarious scene with the Orkney brothers (Gawain, Gareth, Gaheris and Ralph) and their virgin sister who has managed to lure a unicorn . . .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Only proves that Timber is very good at googling
:-)

While THIS indeed is the product of a websearch foray (I recalled having read the piece somewhere, and went looking to see if I could find it online. Obviously, its there, and I found it), THIS is original, and derives from an essay I personally researched and wrote before there was a Google, or much of the internet on which the Google of today lives. I have little reason to expect similar essays or treatments may not be found, on the internet or elsewhere; the cited and referenced material is factual, readily accessible, and well known, the central question at debate hardly is unique to this forum or to any other venue. It would be presumptuous of me to assume I might be the only one to have encountered and used the same or similar textual references, critiques, commentaries, and original source material to reach such conclusions as I set forth in that essay. I must assume others have been there, and likewise, I would be unsurprised to learn others have done it better than I managed. In fact, I would be somewhat surprised to discover otherwise. I'm only an amateur, a dilettante scholar in the realm of theological study; I stand in awe of and acknowledge my debt to the real deal ... some of whom it has been my privilege and honor to meet, or at least to attend in lecture. Slight though it may be by comparison to those committed to the subject as life's work, I do have more than a little background in many, many areas pertaining to the matter here at discussion. Hell, I was an altar boy for years, taught Catechism, and there were many who were sure I was on my way to the collar. I, however, never was among the convinced. Of any of it. Insatiably curious, yes, inquisitive and enquiring with a passion, but then as now unconvinced. Of any of it.

Quote:
When faith is lacking, write volumes to instill confusion. It is interesting that non-believers write more about Christianity than Christians do. One of those things that make you go... hmmmmm

I submit you can provide no evidence to support your quantitative assertion regarding the ratio of "non-believers", "Christians", and their relative pertinent writings. I suspect in fact the contrary more likely may be true.

I ask what of that which I have written and on which you comment you find confusing, either in content or intent? Perhaps my aim was not achieved, my attempt was to convey my thoughts and opinions, along with the factual basis of their foundation, as succinctly as I could accomplish. What there gives you trouble - how can I help you better understand?

What I am saying is that I am quite familiar with the proposition of religion - in many of its manifestations - yet remain unconvinced, of any of it, and cannot fathom how anyone workingly familiar with and critically considering the available evidence can be otherwise than unconvinced. What part of that is unclear?

Neo wrote:
... Oh, so now you're saying I'm not a virgin pure and chaste ...

Why, not at all - I offer no assessment of nor commentary on your morality or conjugal history, whatsoever. On the other hand, I strongly suspect you've long since spent your 18th Summer, chaste, chased, or chaser.

M A wrote:
Matthew 17:5 ~
... everlasting life.

Parables, homilies, anecdotes, and allegories are not provenance of anything beyond that they were written down. What is written in The Bible is there for all to see; quoting from it serves no purpose other than to convey what is written therein. By whom was it written, to what purpose, and when? What evidence have you that the Bible is other than a human construct, an assemblage and synthesis of a panoply of Middle-Eastern thought, philosophy, politics, and prejudice developed over a period of time beginning in the mists of pre-history extending through a time some hundreds of years following the collapse of the Roman Empire?

For that matter, how do you explain that the ascendence of Christianity coincides linearly with the decline of the Roman Empire into chaos, barbarism, conflict, feudalism, and intellectual sterility -the "Dark Ages", recall - while the Arab World, China, and Japan, and even the Mayans, reached over roughly the same timeframe their own "Golden Ages", in many respects the equal or better of the Roman Empire at its zenith?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:26 pm
One can never receive enough evidence of God, if they do not have Faith. And if there is faith, there is never a need for evidence.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:29 pm
timber, i'm one non-Christian who had been unfamiliar with the subject matter of your essay, so i thank you for making it available.
0 Replies