F.D.A. Rejection of Next-Day Pill

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
ossobuco wrote:
As I remember implantation can occur even after two days (haven't looked that up lately).
A woman or girl who has unplanned/unprotected sex, rape or not, if it is around ovulation time she may be facing serious life changing consequences. Not everyone is unstupid all the time - and rape and followup pregnancy do happen. Preventing implantation is different to some than abortion of a fetus.

I speak from a fully prochoice point of view, but understand that others may have different lines to draw than I might have.

Unstupid...he he he...sorry.

Ok, so perhaps it might be helpful in some cases. But why not push to make regular birth control otc? Wouldn't that make more sense?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:06 pm
I am not sure if I am for those over the counter or not, probably not, as an unknowledgeable young girl (admittedly with some dollars in her wallet to pay for them) might take too many given a whole month package with no doctor advising - maybe with pharmacist discussion. I still want emergency contraceptives available otc.

Not that I am trying to get y'all to agree with me. I posted primarily to clear up the matter that birth control pills aren't "making abortion", abortifacient.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:18 pm
Thanks Osso!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:12 am
As with birth control pills the primary way Plan B works is to prevent ovulation. If unprotected sex occurs within 3 or 4 days of ovulation there are still viable sperm to fertilize an egg. Preventing the egg from being released is the main idea. Plan B 'might' help in preventing an available egg from being fertilized and 'might' help a fertilized egg from implanting. The best efficacy is related to those few days before ovulation. It's not a great method of birth control (89% efficacy) and is only intended as a backup plan when other forms of bc fail such as a broken condom or in preventing most pregnancies that result from assault.

I'm thinking behind the counter with pharmacist instructions is better than open OTC, but I don't see the need for a prescription if its safe.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:15 am
To clarify the timing of what I meant above, sperm stays viable for up to 5 days in utero. Plan B works best in those cases where ovulation occurs after unprotected sex and will prevent the release of the egg until at least such time as no viable sperm remain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
That all makes sense, thanks, J_B.
0 Replies