San Diego suggestions?

CowDoc

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
I have to be in San Diego the first of December. Anyone have ideas for things my wife should do and see while I spend two days tied up in meetings?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,104 • Replies: 34
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:45 pm
Depends on what she likes to do. La Jolla's nice if she's into shopping or dining. If she's more of an outdoors type, Balboa Park and/or the Zoo, take your pick, they're next to each other. For something different, she could go to Black's Beach, which is unofficially clothing optional. It's maybe a couple of miles north of La Jolla Shores, and there's several ways to get there on foot. There's many more places to visit, but hard to recommend anything without knowing what interests her.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:14 am
I enjoyed wandering around the Hotel Coronado and there was a bar right on the beach in San Diego where a friend took me to watch to see if the sun did its green flash thing at sunset (it didn't) but it was a very nice bar and as I say right on the sand. The Star of India sailing vessel on the wharf was worth a visit too. In fact the whole waterfront area down there was very nice, a beautiful walk and lots of interesting things.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:16 am
There also Sea World if you like those sort of parks. I also enjoyed walking around the Hotel Corando. The island is kind of neat too with some small shops and stuff.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
we spent five days in sd last december before our hawaii cruise. really enjoyed our stay. we stayed at a holiday inn near the "mexican" village - or whatever it's called. it was just a few minutes walk to get to the village and all the stores and restaurants.
we crammed in a lot during our five day stay :
_ hotel coronado - once for lunch, another day - during pouring rain - for brunch ; beautiful - even in the rain,
- san diego zoo - very enjoyable,
- shopping at la jolla,
- quick side trip "across the border" ,
- lunch on the waterfront a couple of times
- see the old train station for its mosaics,
- the hotel took us to the zoo and picked us up - free of charge; other than that we used public transport - it's excellent : fast, clean, customer frindly.
hbg

ps. the "mexican" village is particularly nice at night with all the lights on.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
hbg, by "mexican village" you probably mean Old Town. it's a bit too crowded for my tastes on weekends, but it's certainly a fun spot to visit.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:58 pm
san diego
yitwail : yes, ...SAN DIEGO - OLD TOWN...is , of course, the proper name. we were there in early december and even though the christmas decorations were out, there weren't that many people visiting. we walked through it almost every evening when we came back from the day's excursion, since the trolley stop is just opposite.
hotel coronado was our favourite spot ... having breakfast on the terrace while the waves were pounding the shore was great. hbg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:02 pm
i hear the Hotel Del, as locals sometimes call it, is even haunted by a ghost. but only one particular room, what number i do not recall.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
san diego
just looking at a brochure of ...THE DEL... ...in 1892, a beautiful young woman, kate morgan, checked into the DEL , despondent and weak. five days later, her lifeless body was found on an exterior hotel staircase ... since that time the ghost of kate morgan has been seen throughout the hotel ,,, (no room number given). will have to go back to the DEL and check .
others who stayed at the DEL : prince of wales (1920) while mrs simpson lived in coronado ... speculation about meeting her at the dEL , others : charlie chaplin , greta garbo , al jolson ... hamburger and mrs h stayed for breakfast and lunch, but not mentioned in leaflet yet . hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:19 pm
Well, everything is said already, this San Diegan doesn't have to add anything. The weather was just beautiful today and
depending when you're in town CowDoc, you'll be in for a
treat, no matter where you go.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:23 pm
I'm sure they'll correct that oversight in the next brochure they put out, hbg.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:28 pm
Thanks, Jane - we arrive November 30 and leave December 3. If you're near the Marriott resort (wherever that is) stop by and share a cool one.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:39 am
I might CowDoc. There are 3 Marriott Resort Hotels -
one in Coronado, one downtown, and one in La Jolla.
You know which one you're going to?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:55 am
I lived there a long time ago so my info is old but might still apply -
I loved the aviary at the San Diego Zoo.. and Balboa Park in general.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
I was there last August.

The zoo is a must. And I agree with osso about the aviary. It takes you somewhere else.

I liked both Balboa Park and the Old Town, but they are kind of fakey to me.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
Jane - At the moment, I've lost the e-mail that told me where my reservation was made. I'll get the info by next week.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
I now know, Jane! It's at the one in Coronado. Anywhere near you?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:15 pm
I'm afraid not Doc - however, if I have some time, I'll stop
by, Coronado is beautiful.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I lived there a long time ago so my info is old but might still apply -
I loved the aviary at the San Diego Zoo.. and Balboa Park in general.

I was amazed to see the huge Moreton Bay Fig tree in Balboa Park.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
Here's a site re the Moreton Bay Fig in the Southern California area..

http://selectree.calpoly.edu/treedetail.lasso?rid=608
0 Replies