Stooped shoulders,bad back

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 06:46 am
Anybody else worrid about the effects on the back/shoulders , sitting infront of a desk/keyboard all day?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,349 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
no... Shocked

but now i am! Confused

the worst thing you can do is sit still for long periods of time.
i try to get up at least once an hour, and i roll my neck around occasionally while seated.
i also try to keep my hands off the mouse/keyboard as much as possible...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:04 am
I sit at the desk for 8 hours each day Mon-Fri..... and by the end of the day my shoulders are killing me.... and I have tried sitting a different way but that never works....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:12 am
some employers would get you an ergonomic chair if you complain enough...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
what works best, it's been proven, is to change chairs. any possibility of that for you, crazie? switch chairs after a few hours, then switch back maybe?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:22 am
Idea Now that's a good idea, dag! I'll try that!
Pity I didn't before spending most of the weekend at my computer, working on a job application! Ghastly & stiff all day today! Sad
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:38 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
I sit at the desk for 8 hours each day Mon-Fri..... and by the end of the day my shoulders are killing me.... and I have tried sitting a different way but that never works....

Ive tried sitting differntly too but how many variations can their be??Its a case of sit at desk, look at screen, type on keyboard.

Do people sit crossed legged?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
i've read a report where scientists were testing all sorts of ergonomic chairs (it was somewhere here on a2k, too. started by msolga in search for a new chair, wasn't it?)

and more than any expensive chair, switching of chairs proved most beneficial for one's back. best is to have 2-3 different chairs and rotate them, if possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:15 am
Personally, I think it is not so much a given chair that is useful, or changing chairs, though some chairs are certainly worse than others - but moving the spine, not sitting frozen in one position or another. I've given a link to back(!) this up somewhere on a2k before, on an older thread before Msolga's buying a chair thread. So Roger's backless chair mentioned in Msolga's thread particularly lets that movement happen. Playing musical chairs would let it happen. Sitting in a regular chair and moving your spine in different ways will let it happen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:37 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i've read a report where scientists were testing all sorts of ergonomic chairs (it was somewhere here on a2k, too. started by msolga in search for a new chair, wasn't it?)

and more than any expensive chair, switching of chairs proved most beneficial for one's back. best is to have 2-3 different chairs and rotate them, if possible.

Yes, that was me. I'm waiting to accumulate enough $$$$ to buy a really good one. The 2, 3 chairs I have available in my midget house are all quite unsuitable, I'm afraid. But I like the concept! Very Happy
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:55 pm
I sat at a desk for many years; a good chair makes all the difference. I played musical chairs for a while...switching mine with other employees, but their chairs weren't as comfortable as the one I already had.

I requisitioned for a new one many times, but to no avail. I finally decided to go out and by a nice one myself... hey, I was in charge of the petty cashÂ…no one said a word Razz
0 Replies