Nicoletti furniture. Anybody know anything?

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
Could be.

It's a bit too "busy" for my tastes but I think I could funk it up a bit (probably by pairing it with my other funky stuff in my rather funky house).

I dunno......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:43 pm
P.S. speaking of Craigslist furniture, I'm corresponding now with a guy offering an original Mission desk in great condition (so he says) for $350... oooh... He's at work though and will be sending pictures later. ($350 -- eek -- but if it's real and in great condition...)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
There is nothing as wonderful as a great desk.

My desk is currently on loan to the studio. It is a drafting table from the 30s or 40s with all this bizarre hardware. It's huge (6x4?) so I don't really have a place for it right now -- which sounds weird seeing as how I don't have any furniture.

I really wish I knew more about it -- shopping is hard work.

Good luck with the desk! I love mission style
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
I actually adore my current desk. It's from the 40's or so, walnut, all kinds of great detailing. I bought it from the super-friendly guy at a local antique store, who ran estate sales and then brought the stuff that didn't sell to his store. I was lusting after the desk but it didn't have a price tag -- I think this one was pre-estate sale rather than post-estate sale -- and assumed it was way too expensive. He saw me drooling and asked how much I could afford. I shrugged helplessly and said "I dunno, $75?" assuming that would be way too little for it. He said he'd give it to me for $65.

Shniff. I love my desk.

That said, it's too small. It's 42 inches long and has a few smallish drawers. I could give it to sozlet if this mission desk is big and useful and pretty enough.

What happened with the Nicoletti Yuppies?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
We still haven't heard back from them!

Or the other guy we emailed about the chair!

This other stuff is listed as being in "The Pearl" which is the multi-million dollar condo area in inner Portland. The top of the yuppie food chain.

We'll probably never hear back from her either!

Still, she says she's moving next week and wants to get rid of it.

Still again, Portland is the "mannana" capital of the world.

Darn rich hippies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:15 pm
There was just a tip in the "free" section at Columbus Craigslist about emails being routed to the spam folder... just a sec...

Quote:
ALL WAYS REMEBER IF YOU ARE LISTING SOMTING ON HERE AND DONT GET ANY RESPONCE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER!! IT HAPPEND TO ME FOR A MONTH ALL THE CRAIGSLIST REPLYS ENDED UP AS SPAM! SO PASS THIS ON IT REALY SUCKS!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:03 pm
boomerang, these black leather chairs and the sofa are similar to the classical Le Corbusier Style furniture like this one
http://www.owo.it/img/prodotti/11648/8144_LC_GRAND_CONFORT_poltrone.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
I'm familiar with Le Corbusier! I love the really clean lines. I think I'd really like this other stuff it wasn't quite so tufted. The closet thing I've been able to find is this, the Hoffman Cubus:

http://www.sleekspaces.com/images/us/local/products/ALPH/ALPH_HOFFLOVESEAT_lg.jpg

I'm really warming up to more modern stuff. I think throwing a little in the mix might be fun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
Oh! Missed soz....

Most people here put their phone numbers in the ads. I emailed one guy with our phone number.

I have the feeling that most of these people are not really motivated sellers!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
ACK! Now both women are calling back about the sofas and Mr. B is calling me to see which one I like best and I don't know.

They are almost the same price. Here's a side by side comparison:

Sofa, two chairs, bench/ottoman thing, two end tables
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/sofacopy.jpg

Two sofas - they look to be identical in size
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/sofa2.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:20 pm
I don't understand the black one - is that a leather bench in front of it? The chair seats look pretty deep, so they might hit one's knees funny... on the other hand, the sofa looks more comfortable than the light colored one, to me that is. Only way to tell is the sit test.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
Plus the black one might absorb more child coloration...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:25 pm
Yeah, that is the bench in front. It looks like it was being used for an ottoman or coffee table or something.

Mr. B is probably the one doing the sit tests but I trust him on that count. He is way into comfort. I'm more the "look" girl. Seeing them side by side I kind of like the black one more. It looks a bit more nap worthy length too. Plus, you could scatter it around a bit more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:26 pm
<why don't i live closer - i've been looking for one of those leather benches/ottomans>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
That's a good point about black being a better color.

Yeah, I've had my eye on one of those bench/ottoman things too. A different one but that kind of makes me lean towards the black furniture.

My old furniture was black so I know the room can handle it.

Why don't you live closer, eBeth? That would be too much fun!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:47 pm
I'd take the black one too boomerang. You can have
the sofa and bench in one part of the room and the two
chairs in another with a small side table.

Mies van de Rohe had in the early 1920 similar furniture
and the "Barcelona" series is still very hip - in fact I bought
an office sofa not too long ago http://www.artefac.com/images/Barcelona_Sofa.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:51 pm
....and if you look at www.roche-bobois.com at their
contemporary section, you'll find great ideas in how to
place the furniture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:52 pm
I think I remember when I saw the listing of the Nicoletti one is that the pic you have is of the "loveseat" (2-seater) and then the sofa is a 3-seater.

The black stuff seems a lot more versatile.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:55 pm
Oh I like that very much CJane!

I was looking at some of that earlier. I liked the way it wraps around the frame - showing some of the structure. Beautiful.

I never really have considered modern style but the more I looked at it the more I like it. There is a nice simplicity and architecture to it.

My room is not huge but it accomodates a surprising amount of furniture. Plus, our toy room doubles as a guest room with a Murphy bed and a few design changes. It would be nice to have a comfy chair to drag in there when company comes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
It's really not that modern boomerang, considering
that it was designed in the 1920s, but Bauhaus is never
going out of style.

http://www.designboom.com/portrait/mies/bg.html
0 Replies