Are Men Necessary?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:53 am
Quote:
Maureen Dowd: 'Are Men Necessary?'

by Terry Gross
http://www.npr.org/programs/fa/features/2005/11/dowd_240.jpg
Maureen Dowd won a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary in 1999.

Maureen Dowd won a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary in 1999. Penguin

Fresh Air from WHYY, November 9, 2005 ยท In today's sexual politics, are women equal -- and are men even needed? That's the question New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd asks in her new book, Are Men Necessary? When Sexes Collide.

Her caustic wit and commentary has brought Dowd both praise and criticism since she became a regular columnist for the Times in 1995. While her critics often pan her writing as superficial, Dowd's fans cite her analysis of power politics and social trends.

For Dowd, Are Men Necessary? represents a new twist on that formula, as she takes stock of the state of the sexes, 40 years after the dual events of women's liberation and the sexual revolution of the 1960s.

The book also includes something that much of Dowd's other writing has lacked: details about her own life and personal views. In discussing the roles women and men play in relating to one another, the Washington-based columnist with a reputation for being intent on keeping her private life out of the public eye yields details about her own life that have usually been left out of consideration.

Her analysis of sexual politics comes after years of writing about Washington politics; Dowd began her career at The Washington Star before moving to Time magazine. After moving to The New York Times, she won a Pulitzer Prize for her commentary on the Clinton impeachment. In 2004, Dowd published Bushworld: Enter at Your Own Risk, an analysis of the workings of the Bush administration.

http://www.npr.org/programs/fa/features/2005/11/dowdcover_240.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 20
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
I'm getting that book, thanks nikki.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:41 am
Well, it's hard to find a good female drummer. (though there are many great ones!)
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:42 am
AZctually, it is hard to find (and keep) a good drummer of any gender.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
As soon as we find a way to harvest their sperm, they will become obsolete. Gosh, what a wonderful world it will be.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:46 am
LOL!
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:54 am
I wasn't kidding! Smile
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:30 pm
I hear you. But, we can find something useful for them to do. I have gotten used to them, and they are kind of cute too.

*giggles*
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:34 pm
We won't take it lying down so BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway-you women would bore each other to death in no time.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:39 pm
Ah come on spendi, you know you would take it lying down.

I agree, I need variety for thats the spice of life.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
Competing with each other to impress us men is just about the only thing most of you women are interested in apart from public displays of how much you make us pay.A quick glance around the pub on Sat night is quite sufficient evidence of those.

You would all pine away to nothing without it.

I'd get a posse up if I was you to throw Ms Dowd in the river.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:53 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:10 pm
Rivers isn't very good at statistics, is she?

~~~~~~~

Dowd is a kick. She clearly adores men, and men adore her <in her real life> She's entertaining and takes no cr@p. Gotta appreciate that in anyone, male or female.

Baby Bush's dad is a personal fan of hers. The recent New York mag article on her was particularly funny when it talked about George Sr's appreciation of her.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:20 pm
I have only one question for Ms. Dowd: why does she call her shower massager "Steve?"
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:44 pm
Since when are anyone's views supposed to be universally accepted? Or does that rule only apply to women?
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:27 pm
besides, without men, who would the lesbians have to hate?
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
Once, a long time ago , I asked my wife : why are elected women at high offices so rare and inbetween?

Or to better word my question's intent:
I observed that women were the majority of people who actually voted, so I wondered why was it that women did not vote for women candidates in droves?

She told me the following:
Are you nuts? Having to deal with a president in one of her bad moods? (by this she was referring to PMS)
And besides, she continued; I wouldn't trust the b*tch ! (her own words)

So apparently, yes ; men are needed because women don't trust each other.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
spendius wrote:
We won't take it lying down so BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway-you women would bore each other to death in no time.

We'd kill each other off in no time.

I would simply hate a world without men. For the lesbians of the world, this might work. But for those of us who like a good sausage, there are plenty of things about men I'd miss.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 04:09 pm
bluesgirl wrote:
Well, it's hard to find a good female drummer. (though there are many great ones!)

My vote would be Maureen ("Mo") Tucker of the greatest pre-punk band of all time, the Velvet Underground.
0 Replies