Dem Landslide Begins with Kaine, Corzine Wins!

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:55 am
I agree with you Set. I know of too many people in the past who have voted for someone they really did not like, yet did so because he was their party's candidate. To me, this is stupid.

The last couple of times that Strom Thurmond ran down here in SC, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for him. I still basically agreed with his politics, but it was obvious that he could no longer properly represent me. I had a friend get mad because he couldn't understand how any republican could bolt party lines.

Sometimes I think the worst thing ever done was to install that single button on voting machines that will automatically cast a straight party vote. People don't have to think, just hit the button and you're a loyal party person. Of course, not having is no guarantee anyone will do any thinking, but....
0 Replies

CoastalRat

I agree with you Set. I know of too many people in the past who have voted for someone they really did not like, yet did so because he was their party's candidate. To me, this is stupid.

The last couple of times that Strom Thurmond ran down here in SC, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for him. I still basically agreed with his politics, but it was obvious that he could no longer properly represent me. I had a friend get mad because he couldn't understand how any republican could bolt party lines.

Sometimes I think the worst thing ever done was to install that single button on voting machines that will automatically cast a straight party vote. People don't have to think, just hit the button and you're a loyal party person. Of course, not having is no guarantee anyone will do any thinking, but....
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Setanta wrote:
Coastal, although who see me as their partisan opponent here may not believe it, i have never been a voter along party lines. I do try to inform myself, and i remain sceptical in any election. I vote against candidates more often than i am voting for someone. If i cannot discern a significant difference, or cannot inform myself to my satisfaction, then i will vote for women when the field is largely male, i will vote Democratic in a Republican area, or vote Republican in a Democratic area. In the election of judges, when it is difficult to effectively inform oneself, i tend to vote for women and minorities on the principle that they are underrepresented on the bench. I make my most thorough effort to inform myself on ballot initiatives and tax levies when they will appear on the ballot.

It is not easy to be a responsible voter, and simply following partisan lines does us all a disservice.

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:56 am
Setanta wrote:
Coastal, although who see me as their partisan opponent here may not believe it, i have never been a voter along party lines. I do try to inform myself, and i remain sceptical in any election. I vote against candidates more often than i am voting for someone. If i cannot discern a significant difference, or cannot inform myself to my satisfaction, then i will vote for women when the field is largely male, i will vote Democratic in a Republican area, or vote Republican in a Democratic area. In the election of judges, when it is difficult to effectively inform oneself, i tend to vote for women and minorities on the principle that they are underrepresented on the bench. I make my most thorough effort to inform myself on ballot initiatives and tax levies when they will appear on the ballot.

It is not easy to be a responsible voter, and simply following partisan lines does us all a disservice.

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:57 am

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:08 am

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:30 am

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:50 am

0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:51 am
Brand X wrote:
The landslide was in New York where Republican, Bloomberg, won by the widest margin ever for a Repub mayor there.

He was a lifelong Democrat until a few months before his election to Mayor. He switched parties because he saw little chance of getting the Democratic nomination.

Ties to the Republican Party are tenuous at best.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:55 am
Brand X wrote:
The landslide was in New York where Republican, Bloomberg, won by the widest margin ever for a Repub mayor there.

He was a lifelong Democrat who saw little hope of getting nominated, so he switched parties months before getting the Republican nomination.

Ties with the Republican party are tenuous at best.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
It's all a matter of trust, the Congress trusted the President that he he would not invade Iraq without good cause. WE don't trust Schwarzenegger, plain and simple.

Voting against Scwarzenegger's proposals because HE proposed them is valid because a way to tll him, we do not approve of his tactics and we DID not approve of him wasting our tax dollars calling this stupid special election.

If the proposals are so great, the legislature can carefully consider whether or not to approve them. Although re-districting might have some merit, why should DEms here give up power while Republicans grab it elsewhere.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:23 am
What you non-Californians are not getting is that many of us were livid that Schwarzenegger forced this bullshit special election on us.

The only way to express our anger was to vote down his proposals. None of the issues involved in the election were so pressing that they called for a special election.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
testing
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
The way I see it Governator is trying to bypass the Legislature. He is trying to rule with Californians as sidekicks to stamp approve his agenda. He failed.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
And again, a lot of people wanted to show their displeasure re his veto of marriage equality.
0 Replies