IRS investigates political activity of churches, non-profits

woiyo

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:36 am
This is a status that must be eliminated. All religious organizations should be taxpayers, taxed as Corporations.

This scam has gone on long enough.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:59 am
I am also still hung up on GWB. He is a murderer who has eroded our freedoms and destroyed our country. He should be locked up for life and never again allowed to see the light of day.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:13 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:
They are limited to stating their position on issues only.

If the rules are limited to stating their position on issues only, why would stating you are against the war get a church in trouble?

It wouldn't. That's not what the IRS was investigating.

"In the sermon, Regas did not instruct parishioners whom to support in the presidential election but said that Jesus would have told the president that his Iraq policies had failed."

If the statement he had made was simply that "Jesus would have believed that war is wrong" the IRS wouldn't have any interest. Once the speaker invokes a name (or position that refers to a political persona) then they are outside the bounds of tax exempt organizations. That is what the IRS is looking into.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
Nevertheless, fishin I still think it's stupid and kind of scary to think that the government is getting so wrapped up in what people say in church. I can't count the times that my preacher talked about the lack of morals in our previous president; I sure I hope our little three room church on top of the hill in the woods with the population of 50 on a good day don't get investigated.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 06:59 pm
I have always found it amazing that Clinton was impeached for lying about a daliance with an intern whereas Bush has not been impeached while his lies have resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:45 pm
Nickfun
You must not be a good christian or you would understand that sex is much worse than 2056 deaths.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:39 pm
Really Rabel? I sure as HELL hope you're joking! Let's also tack on the 150,000 Iraqi deaths. Not to mention the countless hundreds of thousands wounded. And the countless left homeless and the businesses destroyed and the priceless art work demolished. And I am a Buddhist. Sex is good - assuming it's good sex.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:32 am
NickFun, I think he's being sarcastic.
0 Replies