Wanted : Recipes

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:28 am
I am looking for healthy recipes.

Looking specifically for good minestrone and chili recipes.

I don't like too many veggies: carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, red/yellow peppers, corn, peas and green beans. Not a fan of squash or zucchini. Never had eggplant. Won't eat spinach or asparagus.

I like beef and chicken. Still have an aversion to fish after a bad experience.

Must be relatively easy dishes as I don't have 2 hours to spend in the kitchen every night.

Any ideas from your kitchen to mine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 870 • Replies: 6
No top replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:14 am
Recipe source

http://recipesource.com/

Tens of thousands of recipes, searchable by keyword or by topic. Topic areas include Ethnic Dishes; Soups, Stews and Chili; Sweets and Desserts; Snacks and Appetizers; Breakfast Dishes and Special Occasions (camping, holidays); Restricted and Special Diets (Baby Foods and Diabetic Recipes). Anyone may submit a recipe. Formerly SOAR (Searchable Online Archive of Recipes).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:34 am
Here's an easy one --

Cook some pasta - I use that Dream Fields low carb pasta or spinach pasta.

Steam some vegegable. You can buy mixed vegetables in the frozen food section if you don't have time to do fresh.

Toss the vegetables into the pasta, throw in some fresh tomato pieces (this is important - it makes it look and taste very fresh) and toss it all together with a bit of bottled Italian dressing (just enough to coat the noodles). Dash on some fresh (not canned!) parmesean cheese.

The whole thing is ready in 30 minutes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:38 am
Ooo, boomer that sounds fabuolous! How easy that is and I never thought of it. I am seriously healthly living deficient.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:44 am
The secret in chili is to make it the day before you want to eat it. All the necessary veggies and degree of hotness and sweetness is up to you. We use beef chunks not burger in chili , and, the day we serve it, we always have some fresh chopped onions for the top.
We dont like all the chili chochkies like ground cheese or sour cream. Thats from Chilis the restaurant, not a good satisfying meal. I want my spoon to stand upright in my chili, none of this watery crap.(We call that soup round here)

Red beans and rice is sorta like chili except we add lots more garlic and file, and we substitute chorizo or some garlicky boudin like andouille or kielbasi instead of the chunked beef.

I recall some chili recipes when Mr cavfancier would engage in some food threads.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
Della
Della, A2K has it's own recipe site on the portal:

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/index.html

BBB
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
Here's an easy chili recipe, relatively low in calories, high in fiber and moderate amt. of fat if you pick the right cut of beef and trim the fat away. You can control most of the sodium by choosing low-sodium canned beans (or... gasp... cooking your own). The chili takes just a few minutes to prepare, then cooks all day in the oven. You can easily make a huge amount so you can freeze portions (or have a party).

Six ingredient Chili:
a large bottle of Picante sauce
a large cut of beef, 3+ pounds (I imagine if you were desperate to cut out more fat, you could replace part of this with turkey or chicken)
a can or 2 of beef broth
a can or 2 of your favorite beans (optional)
a can of non-fat refried beans (also optional)
olive oil
fresh garlic

All the ingredients are adjustable depending on how large the piece of beef is, how hot and how long you cook the chili and your preferences for beans. Choose low-sodium products if, as I think I remember, you are trying to keep that nutrient low as well. You can select any of a number of picante sauces, make your own or buy the fresh stuff from the produce section.

5 minutes -- Wipe the meat with a paper towel. Cut it into 1" thick slices against the grain, trimming all the fat away and put in a large pot. (The meat will shred easily once it has cooked all day... all it takes is a brisk stirring.)

2 minutes -- Pour the entire bottle of picante sauce (I often use Pace because it is inexpensive and we like the flavor) and at least one can of broth over the meat; poke it down it should be well-covered with liquid. Tightly cover the pot with foil and/or its lid. Put in a slow oven, ie. 200-225F and leave it cooking all day.

5 minutes -- Before you go, drain and rinse the beans if you're going to use them (They're good for you, for Pete's sake!), put in a bowl and add 1 T. olive oil (or less) and 3-4 finely minced or crushed garlic cloves. Stir a bit and cover with saran wrap... put in the frig. up to overnight.

Go to work -- the chili will cook all day. (If you're going to be gone more than 8 hours, keep the temp at 200F, if only 6 hours, up it to 225F.)

5 minutes -- Come home, pull the pot out of the oven, remove the foil and stir the beef around so that it falls apart. (If it seems like there is a lot of fat on top, skim it off.) Add the marinated beans and cover and let your pot of chili rest a while. If necessary, warm the chili for 1/2 hour on a low flame before you eat it. When cooled, package it up in serving-size or double serving-size portions and freeze for up to six months.

This is an extremely filling meal served with a little cornbread or polenta right in the bowl. Warmed tortillas are also standard. Other good ingredients -- grated cheddar, sour cream or yogurt, chopped fresh tomatoes, minced fresh onions, sliced olives, even shredded lettuce as you'd garnish gazpacho. Pass additional pico de gallo.

We sometimes serve this on a plate with a tortilla, covered with various fresh vegies, then some cheese, a ladleful of chili and a spoonful of sour cream. Yum. (Note: And that didn't come from Chilis :wink: ... my mom was serving it like that in the 60's.)

This makes a lot of chili and you can easily extend it or tone down the heat with additional beef broth. You can also add a can of non-fat refried beans after the long cooking period if you want it to be thicker. It gets thicker the longer it sits.

Expect 12-20 servings.

Quote:
This is where I got most of the nutrition info: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

It is a great site and allows you to configure your own list of regularly purchased foods.

Calories & Nutritional Info:
Pace picante sauce says it has 10 calories per serving. The large Costco bottle I have has 570 calories total.

The beef calories depend on the type of beef. A 5# lean cut has about 2000g , ex. Tri-Tip 100 g. = about 200 calories, half from fat.
"This food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Protein and Selenium, but high in Cholesterol."

The calories from the beans depend on the type -- about 350 calories in a can of kidney beans, about 265 in a can of black beans (each provides 18 g. fiber). Buy low-sodium. 100 g. black beans have about 135 calories, 100 carbs, 35 protein.
"This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber and Folate."

Broth calories are about 30 calories per can. Buy low-sodium.

Olive oil is optional & I don't know what the calories are. Garlic calories are negligible.
0 Replies