Left Wing? What Left Wing?

talk72000

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 01:03 am
Let's see, there are Greens, Libertarians, abortionists, anti-abortionists, labor, big business, communists, segregationists, blacks, gays, flat earth society, Ku Klux Klan, liberals, Conservatives, atheists, rifle toters, rednecks, bible thumpers, seniors, tax-cutters, Catholics...So far I have identified these 21 groups. There could be more.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Let's see, there are Greens, Libertarians, abortionists, anti-abortionists, labor, big business, communists, segregationists, blacks, gays, flat earth society, Ku Klux Klan, liberals, Conservatives, atheists, rifle toters, rednecks, bible thumpers, seniors, tax-cutters, Catholics...So far I have identified these 21 groups. There could be more.

What you've said agrees with one of my previous posts, "The Politics of Left and Right are Absurd". It is rather strange that I would then start talking about politics in terms of Liberal and Conservative, which is in essence, giving Left and Right different names.

However, I hope you do realise that I am pandering to the people here who still insist on classifying things as Left and Right, when in fact the distinction of the two can become very blurred.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:59 pm
The terms left and right come from the National Assembly in the French Revolution. When, in October, 1789, after the Day of the Market Women, Louis XVI and the royal family were moved to Paris and the Tuileries Palace, the National Assembly was moved into le Manege, the riding school behind the Tuileries. From the point of view of the President of the Assembly, sitting at his desk, the constitutional monarchists were to his right, and the republicans to his left.

The terms conservative and liberal first appear in England in the era between the Peterloo Massacre (1819) and the first Reform Act (1832).
0 Replies