Low Fat/Low Calorie/Low Sodium...

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
I am looking for low calorie, low fat and low sodium recipes and can't find a darn thing out there that sounds good.

I am stuck. I love the home cooked, old fashioned foods...none of that new wave health food crap. I am a meat and potatoes girl. I know that lean meats are ok to eat but I need to know how they can be prepared in a healthy way.

Any suggestions from your kitchen, to mine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,337 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:08 pm
Cooking Light is an excellent source of yummy low fat, low calorie recipes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
Forget all that calorie counting Bella.
Use olive oil for cooking, no salt (use herbs) and rather have vegetables as side dish for meat instead of potatoes.
Proteins (meats, fish) and carbohydrates (pasta, bread, potatoes etc.) eaten together are harder to digest.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:23 pm
I've been using THIS cookbook.

It's "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home."

For some recipes, though, it's nice to have a natural food store nearby.

Lately I have been feasting on some mighty delicious veggie chili (30 minutes to make) and tofu burritos. Yeah, I have been eating like a damned dirty hippie, but a happy, feeling-good hippie.

This food involves many vegetables and beans, not much fried ****, so it's good and VERY good for you. I'm trying to live to be 1,000 years old. If I can just cut back on Miller High Life.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Oops. I'm a turd. My post falls under the "New Wave Health Food Crap." But, actually, this cookbook was first published thirty years ago.

So there.

I'm off to yoga and "Cuddle Class."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Tofu burger? http://www.xs4all.nl/~ernstmul/images/yahoo/26.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:31 pm
Moosewood????????

Sorry, I didn't even follow it back then... though I remember the book.

Oh, damn, I am snotty.

I suppose I will have to check out why I reacted that way and aim in other directions assuming I still agree with myself, though maybe not.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:43 pm
Yeah, um, well I was negative 2 years old when it came out, so perhaps the stigma eludes me.

And it's just "non-crappy" food, so...

All of you are going to eat it. And you are going to like it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
Gargamel wrote:
Oops. I'm a turd. My post falls under the "New Wave Health Food Crap."

Sort of but not really. The veggie chili I can take. The tofu, ab-so-loutly NOT.

Damn hippie. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
Low-sodium = tasteless.

You need salt to be healthy. Just don't overdo it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Forget all that calorie counting Bella.
Use olive oil for cooking, no salt (use herbs) and rather have vegetables as side dish for meat instead of potatoes.
Proteins (meats, fish) and carbohydrates (pasta, bread, potatoes etc.) eaten together are harder to digest.

For me, cutting out just a few calories a day helps. I am a calorie cutting loser. Very Happy I am basing my calorie intake on a formula designed for us thyroid defective patients and I should be taking in 1400 (1356 actually) calories a day. It's not horribly hard but after the way I was eating it isn't easy either.

I LOVE potatoes and those are going to be hard to give up. Sad

The reason I am looking for foods like this is because it will give me some ideas for healthy foods and meals. I have NO clue how to eat or cook healthy, aside from raw veggies as a snack. Laughing I am healthy dumb.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:54 am
My "healthy eating" trick is soups and stews. This time of year we practically live off them. It helps keep what I call our water weight (due to it being insufferably rainy this time of year) in check.

You can get all of your favorites, like potatoes, in reasonable portions so that you don't have to give them up completely. If you're a meat and potato kind of girl, soup is a great bet.

You can reserve a bit of broth to use to flavor pasta instead of using butter or oil too.

Tortillias are a favorite snack around here. I quit buying the premade and make them myself with masa harina. It is super easy, they taste 100 times better, and the time it takes to make them usually takes the edge off the crave.

Not a recipe but getting rid of your silverware and eating with chopsticks is a great way to limit intake - especially if you're not good with chopsticks!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
boomerang wrote:

Not a recipe but getting rid of your silverware and eating with chopsticks is a great way to limit intake - especially if you're not good with chopsticks!

Laughing I would end up with one piece of rice and a noodle for dinner at that rate!

My problem is habit. My endo told me that the only way to break the snacking habit at night is to not do it. Easier said than done, because apprently those of us with haywire thyroids have managed to reprogram our brains to be hungry....he told me to stay a little hungry all day and eventually, the need to eat all the time will go away. Ugh. I hate it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:01 am
Boomer, got any good soup/stew recipes for me?

Maybe a good minestrone?

Also, what's the scoop on French Onion soup? Is the homemade as bad for you as the restaurant version?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
Oh and a good chili recipe too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:21 am
Open another thread in the food section Bella. There you
would get more recipes.

I'm practically born with a hypo-thyroid so I know what
you're going through.

Stews und soup are very easy to make and are healthy
on top of it. I think I have few recipes too.

Don't give up potatoes, just don't eat them together with
proteins.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
I can't remember the last time I used a recipe. I usually just throw whatever is in the fridge into a pot and cook it!

In the last couple of weeks I've made navy bean soup, split pea soup, chicken and dumplings, chicken corn chowder and beef barley soup.

My kitchen is stocked with stuff to make soup. I almost always have a whole chicken in the fridge, and stew meat and a ham bone in the freezer. If you're watching your sodium you don't want to use convenience stocks (canned, bullion, that kind of thing) because they are packed with salt. If you're watching fat - make the stock a day ahead (don't add vegetables yet or they'll get soggy), and stick it in the fridge; in the morning all the fat will have congealed on the top so you can just scrape it off.

I also keep every kind of dried bean, legume and grain around. In the freezer I keep big bags of corn, peas, long beans, and okra. With some fresh onions, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes, and some canned tomato paste, you have every thing you need to make any kind of soup that strikes your fancy.

I love french onion soup - the danger is in the cheese and bread. If you can skip those ingredients, I think it's probably fine.

Okay. Now I'm getting hungry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:22 am
I did a Food and Drink forum search for soup threads and came up with several, and also looked at the a2k portal under recipes for soup.

(as an aside, if one uses canned or packaged broths sometimes they come with low or no salt added.)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34708 Soup Time

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1980 Homemade soup

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4808 Cooking 101, Stock, Sauces, Soup

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23954 Chili

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4969 Soup and Side Dishes by BBB

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4598 Creamy soups

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4575 Chicken Stock recipe

A2k Portal - (has many soup recipes)
http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/Recipes/Soups/index.html

I seem to remember Boomerang having some soup threads, but I didn't catch them...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:36 am
boomerang wrote:
I love french onion soup - the danger is in the cheese and bread. If you can skip those ingredients, I think it's probably fine.

I can skip the bread. I can't skip the cheese....that's the best part! I could use low fat cheese....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:37 am
See, I knew you guys would have some suggestions...

Osso, that is quite a list!!!

Thanks!
0 Replies