Rain Forest #65

danon5

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
That sounds wonderful ehBeth. I bet it was excellent. The Crusades was aired on the History channel the last two days. Really informative and fairly well done. Could easily have been better though - but I guess at a much greater cost in production. It was good as is.

wayfarer,
I love Milwaukee. I landed there at 1am - Gen Mitchell Field - after flying from Seattle years ago. I was in a really nice plane - Cessna 210 Centurian - which had really good instrument capabilities. I was actually planning to land at Sheboygan but by the time I arrived fog had rolled in off the lake unexpectedly. My alternate planned landing site was also fogged in. I asked the flight controller if a plane had landed anywhere recently. He said Milwaukee - so I asked him to point me in that direction. He did so and we chatted as I neared the field. There was no other traffic at that time in the morning. He placed me on a heading to enter the ILS (Instrument Landing System) and as I began to descend on the approach I encountered thick fog at about 1500 feet. I continued the landing descent to my minimum allowed altitude and leveled off still keeping the heading towards the field. I saw nothing outside but fog. Just as I was making the decision to go around - I saw a flashing glow in front of me. I continued on and finally saw the landing threshold lights. I said, "Whew" and still in thick fog pulled the throttle back and placed the aircraft in a landing attitude. Waited, waited and finally felt a comforting bump as the wheels alighted. I rolled to a stop in the middle of the field then said to the controller, "I'm down and stopped but the fog is too thick to taxi." He told me which way to taxi and the turns involved all the way to parking. I said thank you and good night to him and went to check in at a motel.

All clicked.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:00 pm
I was in Milwaukee once. But I was unavoidably drunk at the time.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:05 pm
rainforest
Great story,Dan!
Merry - unavoidably???? wow.
Ebeth, et al- I was hoping to see the crusades, but went to a wonderful playing and explaination of an early tone poem by Arnold Shoernburg(wrong spelling) . I didn't expect to like it but instead, i loved it.
Wonderful string sextet led by the young, incredibly talented first violinist of the Milwaukee symphony orchestra, Frank Almond.
That's about it for the music marathon; I'm headed back tomorrow morning.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:53 pm
Re: rainforest
pwayfarer wrote:

Merry - unavoidably???? wow.

Well, wayfarer, as I had drunk too much, drunkeness was unavoidable. In consequence, I don't remember anything whatever about Milwaukee except that there seemed to be some parties to go to. I was there a couple of days and my memory of the city is a total blank.

I don't drink alcohol any more. Haven't for more than 10 years now. So next time I'm in the City of Brotherly Beer, I should be able to view it as a brand new venue, a terra incognita, as it were.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,096,739.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 78,776.6 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (78,776.6)

American Prairie habitat supported: 42,625.3 square feet.
You have supported: (10,885.5)
Your 284 friends have supported: (31,739.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,975,338.0 square feet.
You have supported: (165,991.3)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,809,346.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1276 48.133 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:12 pm
Hi all,
I have just this minute looked at our clicking numbers and predict - at our current rate - we will hit the landmark number of FIFTY ACRES on the first day of January 2006!! In exactly 53.6 days.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:22 am
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:32 am
This bad penny has turned up yet again.

Don't ask.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
SUMAC!!

My goodness, it's great to see you again........... How did the last few hurricanes treat you?

I agree MA, the Milwaukee beer is really really good...... grin

clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Howdy sumac! Good to see ya here at the rainforest thread again! Very Happy

AND A HUGE HURRAY FOR CALIFORNIA TOO!!

<tapdancin'>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:41 pm
Hurray to California!
Yippee to seeing Sumac!

and we're gonna have one heck of a New Year's Party round this part of the universe Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,098,097.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 79,057.6 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (79,057.6)

American Prairie habitat supported: 42,625.3 square feet.
You have supported: (10,885.5)
Your 284 friends have supported: (31,739.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,976,415.0 square feet.
You have supported: (166,038.1)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,810,376.9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've just heard that Aa may be able to take over her clicking on November 15th - good news on her recovery!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1277 48.159 acres
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:45 am
No hurricane problems here. Moderate drought though. Been nice and warm recently.

Hurray for California VOTERS!!!!

Returned to clicking.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
Great to hear that sumac.

There are FIVE Rain Forest clicking teams each with more than TWENTY ACRES now........!! That's really moving things in the right direction for the future.

Also, Re the FRAPPR map. Here is an update from Fred Langa (a very informative computer information site) to which I subscribe.
-------------------------------------------
9) Frappr Fraps Out
A few issues back, we discussed Frappr, a "friend mapper" that's a third-party front end for Google's maps; it lets members of any group create their own map, with each group member's location shown as a placemark on the map.

I don't know what size group Frappr is designed for, but we exceeded it. <g> The Frappr Langalist map ( http://www.frappr.com/langalist ) was excruciatingly slow for a couple days,--- it still is, in fact--- and only some 2800 LangaList subscribers were able to get in and get themselves listed. That's less than 2% of our total subscriber list. Frapper also only wants to show 100 member placemarks at a time, which isn't terribly useful with large groups. With our list, for example, the slow-loading initial Frappr map is really showing you only a tiny subset (100) of a tiny subset (2800) of the total readership that tried to sign up (some percentage of 160,000). In short, Frappr, um, frapped out on us!

So, this looks like a "for fun" kind of tool for small groups; not a tool with serious utility for any larger group.

Still, it *is* fun. <g>

Anyone interested in Fred's Free info site may visit www.langalist.com and sign up for his free service - it's beyond excellent.

clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:43 am
Very cool site Dan ~ thanks! and also for frappr site info

Hurray for ANWAR!!!!!!!!!!

sumac, glad yur town wasn't stormed! We were all concerned!!

ehBeth, wildclickers awsome! Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

0 Replies

Stradee

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:53 am
oops - appears hamsters hiccupped...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
Sumac, I've been worried about you--glad the hurricanes didn't hit you part of the coast.
Clicked.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
Tha Tha Tha Thanks, St St St Stradee........ grin

There are two choices at the site. The Standard issue is FREE. The Plus issue is $12 per year. For 90% the Standard is just fine.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:31 pm
Langa is excellent. I need to resubscribe. I have taken both the free and the paid. Beyond excellent is currect, Danon.

Hiya, Di. The usual, computer problems, poverty, and depression.

Remember all of that research we did for Aa?

Just scored on this information. Cool tech tips for the day:

"An entry-level laptop capable of word processing, surfing the Web and playing DVDs is selling for as little as $400, including a color printer. That's about $300 below last year's rock-bottom price, according to market research from NPD Group. Similarly equipped desktop systems with 17-inch monitors are going for about $300."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/09/AR2005110901625.html?referrer=email

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9917076/site/newsweek/

"...online telephone service known as Skype is a prospect that has the $1 trillion global telecom industry downright terrified...

61 million users in 225 countries have downloaded its free software, donned headsets and made free computer-to-computer phone calls. But its ascension onto the high-tech A list came on Sept. 12, when the online auctioneer eBay announced it would acquire privately held Skype for$2.5 billion...

Skype lets users make free calls to other Skype users; it charges only when Skype users call land lines (or a different VoIP provider) or for services like voice mail."
0 Replies